It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2003, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran

Anonymity HB User
Unhappy A Stye Is Forming-- What Do I Do?

I think I've only had a stye once or twice before in my lifetime, and I was a child at those times, so I don't remember what to do.

There is an area on the rim of my lower eyelashes on my right eye that is aching and painful to the touch. It began yesterday, and I have tried not to touch it and have not worn any eye-makeup. (Except for a little eyeshadow, I rarely wear eye-makeup anyway.) My eye is very dry, and I am wondering if I could have a blocked tear duct? Do ducts exist in the center of the lashline? I cannot actually see a bump of any kind (although I seem to feel one), and I vaguely remember a bump during the times that I had a stye before. Does that mean the stye is still forming?

Anyway, I am unsure as to how to proceed. Should I use a warm compress? Should I see the doctor? Will the stye go away on its own? When do I know its bad enough that I should see a doctor? Thank you all so much for your time and consideration!!

Old 07-24-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Talking

Using a hot compress a few times a day can never hurt. (just don't burn yourself!) It's best to do it now while the stye hasn't fully come out yet. Maybe you can stop it before it gets bad. I had that once, where I saw no bump but had a lot of pain in my face and my lower eyelid, and I went right to the eye dr and he said that even though I couldn't see it, there was a stye forming that he saw when he looked at it under the microscope. He had me use hot compresses 4 times a day for 15 minutes and within a few days it was gone.

You do have tear glands in your eyelids, at the base of your lashes. They are called meibomian glands and they produce the oily layer of your tears. They can sometimes get clogged. If you're noticing that your eye is dry, maybe you are not producing enough tears and this could be the cuplrit. If your eye is dry and you feel pain like a stye, I would definitely get checked out by an eye dr.

In the meantime, you can definitely use hot compresses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2003, 10:59 PM   #3

BigB0882 HB User
I had a stye that was forming when I was younger. It was quite painful but nothing too bad. Mine went away all on its own. I never realized they could get worse or should be taken care of. Perhaps you will have the same luck.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:08 PM   #4

suffering hf HB User
Go to good dr. It could be chiazia.I swear I got it at eye doc`s office visit.Never had before-upper lid sore swollen.It was removed by cosmetic surgeon,and at same time she scratched my cornia-OUCH.
Now, I think it`s still there and have developed throat blisters,non sex. transmitted,herpies from eye medication.
Be careful, warm compresses and good doctor
H

Closed Thread