I have been having serious issues with my contact lenses which seems to have been brought about suddenly. Whenever I put them in, they don't necessarily feel itchy, but when I take them out my whole eye gets red and inflammed (especially my left)all around where the contact lens was. I have had this particular brand and prescription for a few years (they are two week disposables) But recently I was given another trial pair of a different brand and the same thing happened. I don't think the opthamologist I went to was very thorough..he's older and I don't think as knowledgeable about contact lenses.
Do you think after 10 years of successful lens wear I have developed an allergy to the lens material or do you think I need to look into alternative brands, cleaning solutions???
If anyone could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it
My first thought is an allergy to the solution you're using. It's very possible they've either changed the ingredients or you've developed an allergy to it.
I have to read the boxes to find a solution I can use since I've had reactions to several solutions. My optomotrist believes it's either the wetting agent or preservatives. And I have to use the preservative-free saline or my eyes feel irritated.
It could also be seasonal allergies - do you have those? I know mine have flared up this year.
Yeah I have thought that too..although they gave me this system that is supposed to be preservative free but I still had some severe discomfort. I;m curious though because the redness is severe and tends to last three or four days after I have taken the contacts out, and typically with solution allergies you tend to feel discomfort right after putting the lenses in and then it lessens. It is just really bizarre and I have been using Opti-Free for years. But you may be onto something since almost every opthamologist I have been to has said they see nothing internally wrong with my eye, other than some inflammation under the lids which was attributed to allergies.
and yes, I have had horrible allergies this year. I live in an area in PA notorious for horrible allergies..but no allergy eye meds has helped.
I appreciate the advice!
Well, I used the same solution brand for 10 years before I had a reaction to it. Sometimes, you just never know.
Interesting that your eyes stay red so long. Weird thought... do your contacts have any type of tint? Maybe it's a reaction to the tint?
The other possibility is contact allergic conjunctivitis. That's where the proteins that build up on the contact lens or the lens itself causes an allergic reaction. But I don't know how they test for this.
I was allergic to the plastic my first contacts were made of and after 20 minutes, my eyes were burning so much i used to put my open eyes under the cold water tap (faucet in the States??) and I wondered how I would ever get used to them, then I was given more lenses made from a different type of plastic and at once I could keep them in my eye for hours! This was 1964, though and hard lenses, things have come on a bit since then
An allergy can always develop when you have previously been OK.