It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2003, 04:22 PM   #1

phyllis23 HB User
Post watery eye,blocked tear duct

has anyone had a blocked tear duct that had to be opened under anesthesia?

Old 10-15-2003, 09:10 AM   #2
(female)

healthy4life HB User
Yes, in fact I consider myself quite the expert in the subject - not by choice. I have had 4 surgeries to correct a blocked tear duct. I am 42 now, and had my first surgery about 6 years ago. First Dr. had no clue as to what he was doing so I went to the Dr. that my mother-in-law went to for the same thing. He made an incision in the side of my nose and I had to have a silicone stent put in for a few months to keep it open while it healed. As soon as he took it out my eye watered again. So a couple of months went by and he said that I probably had scar tissue and put the stent back in - under anesthesia of course. The anesthesia, by the way, is no big deal. The first Dr. did only the procedure done on infants - my tear duct had been blocked for at least 10 years before I even found the first guy who said he would open it. Every Dr. previously said it was watering due to allergies -why one eye waters and not the other? Anyway, I digress, after the 3rd procedure and having the stent removed it still watered. That opthalmologist seemed very upset at me and said that he could do nothing else.

I'm sorry this is going on but it has really been an ordeal. Not a major health problem just a major nuisance. Anyway, I found an opthamologist last year who told me he did not do the procedure - a DCR but knew someone who specialized in it. Anyway, I went to that Dr. and he operated in Feb of this year. He said I had a lot of scar tissue and he ended up sewing what was left of my tear duct to the inside of my nose. I had the stent put in for about 4 months, with my previous history he left it in longer than most people do. Anyway, it worked!!!! It is a shame that no other Dr. - in the same town - would recommend this expert to me. Drs. egos amaze me.

Good luck. The surgery is not bad at all, compared to having your eye water all the time. Sorry to go on so long but please, make sure the Dr. you go to knows what he/she is doing. The guy who did my last surgery is an ocular plastic surgeon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2003, 11:16 AM   #3

phyllis23 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by healthy4life:
Yes, in fact I consider myself quite the expert in the subject - not by choice. I have had 4 surgeries to correct a blocked tear duct. I am 42 now, and had my first surgery about 6 years ago. First Dr. had no clue as to what he was doing so I went to the Dr. that my mother-in-law went to for the same thing. He made an incision in the side of my nose and I had to have a silicone stent put in for a few months to keep it open while it healed. As soon as he took it out my eye watered again. So a couple of months went by and he said that I probably had scar tissue and put the stent back in - under anesthesia of course. The anesthesia, by the way, is no big deal. The first Dr. did only the procedure done on infants - my tear duct had been blocked for at least 10 years before I even found the first guy who said he would open it. Every Dr. previously said it was watering due to allergies -why one eye waters and not the other? Anyway, I digress, after the 3rd procedure and having the stent removed it still watered. That opthalmologist seemed very upset at me and said that he could do nothing else.

I'm sorry this is going on but it has really been an ordeal. Not a major health problem just a major nuisance. Anyway, I found an opthamologist last year who told me he did not do the procedure - a DCR but knew someone who specialized in it. Anyway, I went to that Dr. and he operated in Feb of this year. He said I had a lot of scar tissue and he ended up sewing what was left of my tear duct to the inside of my nose. I had the stent put in for about 4 months, with my previous history he left it in longer than most people do. Anyway, it worked!!!! It is a shame that no other Dr. - in the same town - would recommend this expert to me. Drs. egos amaze me.

Good luck. The surgery is not bad at all, compared to having your eye water all the time. Sorry to go on so long but please, make sure the Dr. you go to knows what he/she is doing. The guy who did my last surgery is an ocular plastic surgeon.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:20 AM   #4

phyllis23 HB User
was your last surgery done under local anesthesia or were you put to sleep?

Old 10-15-2003, 05:21 PM   #5
(female)

healthy4life HB User
I was put to sleep in all the surgeries. I don't think it was heavy sedation but enough that I didn't know what was going on or at least I didn't care.

Closed Thread