It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
(female)

Sara5678 HB User
Red face Secondary Cataract?

The Ophthalmologist noted that there was clouding and it was time for the YAG laser surgery in one eye. I already had the cataract surgery on both eyes about 5 years ago.

I have noticed, every now and then, that the vision gets clouded and then it goes right away and does not happen for days later. It is not consistent. The doctor says it is time for the Yag laser surgery. Is that what it sounds like? I thought when you had the secondary cataract they vision would be clouded all the time. Please let me know what you think. Thanks
Sara

Does this sound right.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: Secondary Cataract?

I can think of possible reasons why it would be right and why it would be wrong.
I suggest you get a second opinion for your own peace of mind.
It will probably be the same as the first opinion, but at least you won't always wonder "what if?"
Does the clarity and cloudiness vary by ambient available light?
That is, is it cloudy when your pupil is dilated in the dark but not when it's small in the light?
Or maybe the opposite?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Johna HB User

My first cataract surgery was done on 7/11/2000. At that time my doc told me in the future the replacement len could cloud up and that it could be cleared up with a laser. So far my len hasn't clouded up but if it should I would have the laser surgery.
Good Luck
Johna

Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Secondary cataracts commonly develop several weeks, to several years after cataract surgery. This is a secondary opacification of the capsular bag in which the intra-ocular lens was originally placed.
If you have had cataract surgery and the once clear vision becomes cloudy, hazy or blurry you may have a secondary cataract. There may be other causes for decreased vision so call the office and the doctor will examine you to determine whether you have a secondary cataract.

Secondary cataracts are treated using a YAG laser. It is a brief and painless outpatient procedure. There is no need for anesthesia or incisions. The pupil will be dilated at the time of the procedure. The laser makes a new clear pathway in the area of the pupil, allowing light to reach the back of the eye. You will usually notice an improvement in vision as soon as the pupil goes back to its normal size.
The procedure takes approximately 5 minutes and there are no post-operative restrictions. You may notice spots or floaters in your vision after the procedure. This is normal and will become less noticeable as they become absorbed by the eye.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Eyes, is it ever possible for the plastic IOL itself to become cloudy from deposits, or film, or whatever?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Pigmentary glaucoma is a form of glaucoma. Many of these patients present with blurry vision, and sometimes eye pain, after exercise. The underlying cause is dispersion of pigment in the eye as a result of the posterior aspect of the iris rubbing against the zonules (microscopic fibers which hold the IOL in place. This is known as iris-zonular touch. In fact, all patients with pigmentary glaucoma will necessarily have pigmentary dispersion syndrome prior to the onset of glaucoma. Therefore it has been speculated that these patients with pigmentary glaucoma may,in some cases,have a conditon of pigment forming on the anterior surface of the IOL.

Closed Thread