It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2003, 08:42 PM   #1

dreamerr HB User
Post white mucus/discharge in Eyes

I often see white mucus like discharge in my eyes, sopecially the left one. It is hard to wipe it out as it seems to disapper in the eye when I try to clean the eys. Anyone familiar with this? What kind of medication is usually taken to get rid of this condition.

I also seem to feel a bit of pressure in my eyes these days when my eyes are open.( nothing to do with the discharge as discharge has been there for several months). Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Well, the discharge could be from allergies. White, stringy mucus is often associated with allergies and/or dry eyes.

The pressure could be due to increased inta-ocular pressure. It could also be sinus problems. It's best to get a complete eye exam, because if you are feeling pressure you need to be checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2003, 12:29 PM   #3

dreamerr HB User
Purple, what is intra occular pressure? Is there a treatment for this kind of condition? I must say I do suffer from sinus related pressure...quite often. may be that is why my eyes get puffy and I see a bit of swelling above the cheek bone going towards under the eyelids.

As to the mucus, there got to be some eye ointment to cure this? Thanks

Old 10-28-2003, 01:44 PM   #4

CapsFan HB User
I second purple's suggestion of a full eye exam just to make sure your intra-ocular pressure is fine. Intra-ocular pressure is the pressure inside your eye - if it's high it can cause problems.

I get that white stringy mucus from allergies and no, I can never seem to get it all out with the corner of a tissue. My right eye produces more than my left. Best way I've found to get rid of it is to use sterile eye wash & an eye wash cup.

Old 10-28-2003, 06:28 PM   #5

dreamerr HB User
Caps, Purple, thanks for the response. I shall try to get it checked. The pressure seems to be in one eye only. In the past several months, a few little flying objects/debris gone inside the eye. I wonder if that is what caused this. Does anyone know the cure/treatment for the inta ocular pressure?

I shall try the sterile solution to get rid of the white mucus like stuff. Did you notice that the mucus , if it moved to certain part of the eye ball, blocked the vision temporarily?

Old 10-28-2003, 06:39 PM   #6

dreamerr HB User
Caps, Purple, another Question.

I feel I have something in the eye and that seems to irritate or cause a bit of aching pressure in that eye. I used all ergy eye drops today and it gave me a few minutes relief. AS if the solution moved that something away for a few minutes.

Can a little substance that might have gone inside the eye remain there for a long time or does it clear by itself? Would cleaning with sterile solution help? Thanks again.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, mucus in the eye can cloud your vision for a brief time, if it lands itself in your field of vision. I don't do the eyewash thing because my eyes are severely dry and very sensitive. But it could help. You could also just try flushing the eye with some preservative free artificial tears when you get the sensation that there is mucus (or anything else) in there.

High Inta-Ocular Pressure (the blood pressure inside of your eye), if left untreated can lead to glaucoma and vision loss. But there are treatments for it. You can use drops called anti-glaucoma drops to bring the pressure down. If it is extremely high they might perform a laser procedure to bring it down if drops don't work. But lets not jump the gun here. You haven't even been examined yet.

If you had something in your eye (you said that in the past few months some things have gotten into your eyes) believe me, YOU WOULD KNOW IT! You would be in pain, and you'd probably have a corneal abrasion or worse by now. Unless your tear production is greatly diminished, most of the time such debris (such as tiny things like pieces of dirt, etc...) would be washed out by your own tears and not stay in there for very long.

Mucus won't injure your eye, but it can stay in there for a long time until it is washed out, and it can cause you pain and discomfort and irritate the eye.

I still recommend getting a full eye exam to find out exactly what is going on. The eye dr can give you an allergy drop to help with the mucus, and check your intra-ocular pressure and hopefully put your mind at ease.

Old 10-29-2003, 08:05 AM   #8

CapsFan HB User
I often get that "something in the eye" feeling too. It usually turns out to be mucus that has clumped together up under my upper eyelid.

However, one time I got a dog hair in my eye (up under the upper eyelid) and couldn't get it to work itself down enough to get it out. I could feel it, but couldn't see it. Took a couple weeks before the mucus buildup was enough to slide it down from wherever it was lurking. That sucked.

Old 10-30-2003, 11:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Anytime you have a foreign body sensation in your eye, it is best to be seen by an ophthalmolgist. Something as seemingly harmless as a dog hair can cause very serious problems such as corneal abrasions, ulcers and an infection. I agree that it is difficult to tell the difference between mucus and an actual foreign body. But it's better to be safe than sorry. Sometimes I get the feeling like there is something in my eye, and if it doesn't go away after a few hours I go to the eye dr. If it is a foreign body he can take it out, and if it is just mucus, he can take that out too.

Closed Thread