It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
(male)

ajwarman HB User
Second Eye Cataract Surgery Result

Hi,
I have had the cataract operation on my right eye and an IOC implanted that resulted in a far less nearsightednesss (myopia?) of -1.5 (this may have recently adjusted higher to -2.0 or I may need the YAG laser followup) ).

My right eye prior to the operation was -9.5 (old contact lense was a -9.5 -0.75 x 020 Toric Lense, lense after cataract surgery is non Toric D -1.5) with a high degree of astigmatism . I had requested 20/20 be the goal since I wanted the better distance vision for night driving, hiking and golf. (Iím very used to wearing reading glasses at this point with contact lenses). The Doctor advised that it was best to be conservative in correcting the first eye since an overcorrection would not be a good result and that correcting to 20/20 from a -9.5 with a high degree of astigmatism was difficult. I now wear a contact lense (lense after cataract surgery is non Toric D -1.5) on the corrected right eye to give me 20/20 and good distance vision.

Now I am planning to have cataract surgery on my left eye. This eye is -7.5 also with a high degree of astigmatism (Preference Toric Lense -6.5 Ė 0.75 x 165) .
Staff of the doctor who did the right eye advised that the second eye cataract operation could be more aggressive in terms of correcting to 20/20. That is the result Iíd like. If that was the result Iíd have Ďmonovisioní Iím told and would just continue to wear the ¨-1.5 corrective contact lense I wear now for the best distance vision and/or have lasik surgery to correct the right eye.

Has anyone with similar nearsightedness and astigmatism been advised that correction to 20/20 on the second eye cataract is more feasible and likely?

Itís also worth noting that the difference in vision between the two eyes prevents me from wearing regular (not reading) glasses instead of contact lenses. I have to wear contacts to correct my vision. I had no idea this would be the case.

Also worth noting was the special test my doctor gave me to see if I had a predisposition for detached retina occurring as a result of the cataract surgery. I later found out this was a very positive test to perform on me since I am a male over 50 years old. I know of one other person who had detached retina occur in both eyes after cataract surgery was performed on both eyes on the same day.
Any thought, comments or advice is appreciated

Andy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
(female)

karennyc HB User
Re: Second Eye Cataract Surgery Result

I see nobody responded to your earlier post. So, maybe this is too late. I felt like I was reading my own story in your post. I too had bad vision in my left eye prior to cataract surgery - I was at -7, and am now at -1.5. The surgery was December 2005, and I've been wearing a contact lens in my right eye ever since (since I can't wear glasses, due to the difference between the 2 eyes). The left eye, at -1.5, is now my 'reading' eye, since I too am over 50, and suffer from presbyopia. I only wear glasses to bring my left eye up to distance - movies, driving, etc. The right eye also has a cataract, and i will be getting it operated on, but I'm still not sure what vision to try for. Either -1.5 to match the left, or 20/20 for distance.
But, what matters (I think) is - which eye is your dominant eye? that is the one that should be your distance eye, if you're striving for mono-vision.
Have you had your second eye done yet?

Old 02-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #3
(male)

ajwarman HB User

Hi, I have not had the 2nd eye done. I had one conversation with a different eye doctor who advised that (if I could get the tests results from my first surgery which i believe is my strong eye) that he would be unhappy if the result of my second surgery were not better than -0.5. My original referral doctor for the Dr. who did the first eye says they all say that????. I just want close to 20-20 on the second eye surgery . I'm really looking for the best distance vision I can get and then I'll deal with reading glasses as I have for the last few years.
If I get close to 20/20 on the second cataract eye surgery and have - 1.75 on the eye that already had surgewry then I'd have momovision by default and could either h ave a contact lens for n best distance on the first eye or have lasik (or glasses I guesss).
I've been told that surgeons are concervative relative to coorrecting for 20-20mon the first eye that's done but can be more aggressive in trying for 20- 20 on the second eye.
Andy

Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Andy: I'm confused about something. You say you have a high degree of astigmatism, but the script you posted for both eyes shows the astigmatism as -0.75, which is slight. Is this a misprint?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
(male)

ajwarman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelaC View Post
Andy: I'm confused about something. You say you have a high degree of astigmatism, but the script you posted for both eyes shows the astigmatism as -0.75, which is slight. Is this a misprint?
Hi, Yes a typo.My eye that had the operation was -9.5, was corrected to -1.5 and now is -1.75. My eye that did not have cataract surgery yet is -7.5
Andy

Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Still confused, Andy.
When there are three numbers in a script, the first is the amount of near or far-sightedness. In your case -9.50 means you are severely myopic. The second number is the amount of astigmatism -0.75, and the third is the degree or placement of the astigmatism.
I'm not disagreeing with you--toric lenses are for astigmatism-- but I'm still not clear on your prescription.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
(male)

ajwarman HB User

Quote:
Still confused, Andy.
When there are three numbers in a script, the first is the amount of near or far-sightedness. In your case -9.50 means you are severely myopic. The second number is the amount of astigmatism -0.75, and the third is the degree or placement of the astigmatism.
I'm not disagreeing with you--toric lenses are for astigmatism-- but I'm still not clear on your prescription.
Hi,
Sorry about the confusion. My contact lense prescription on my right eye prior to cataract surgery reads -9.50, -0.75x 020. Now that
prescription is (non-toric) D-1.75, BC 8.60, DIA 14.20.

My left eye prescription, which will require cataract surgery, reads -6.50,
-0.75x 165. I realize I am very nearsighted (myopic) but I was also told that i have a high degree of astigmatism which makes itr more difficult to correct vision to 20/20 via catarct surgery.I have been told I can have lasik correction after cataract surgery as well to get closer to 20/20. Most recent surgeon I talked to advised he would,with the availabilty of the pre surgery measurements on the firsy cataract surgery, be disappointed if he didn't achieve improvement to -0.50. This is close to 20/20. I really want good distance vision. I am pretty used to using reading glasses with my contacts on. Monovision becomes an option with the left eye corrected to near 20/20 and the right eye requiring the -1.75 lense.

Thanks

Andy

Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse Andy. And it's not really relevant to your thread, but I'm like a dog with a bone .

-9.50, -0.75x 020 is 9.5 diopters of myopia, .75 diopters of astigmatism (which is mild) and its axis or location is 020. This is a glasses prescription on its own.

D-1.75, BC 8.60, DIA 14.20: D is right eye; 1.75 diopters of myopia, BC is base curve and is within normal range, DIA is diameter of the contact lens.

Nowhere does it appear that you have anything more than mild astigmatism. I will shut up now.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #9
(male)

ajwarman HB User

Quote:
Sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse Andy. And it's not really relevant to your thread, but I'm like a dog with a bone .

-9.50, -0.75x 020 is 9.5 diopters of myopia, .75 diopters of astigmatism (which is mild) and its axis or location is 020. This is a glasses prescription on its own.

D-1.75, BC 8.60, DIA 14.20: D is right eye; 1.75 diopters of myopia, BC is base curve and is within normal range, DIA is diameter of the contact lens.

Nowhere does it appear that you have anything more than mild astigmatism. I will shut up now.
Well I was given the impression when they were planning the cataract operation that getting 20/20 would probably not happen due to my higher astigmatism (maybe I misunderstood and it was due to the severe myopia). Also due to the fact that they are generally more conservative doing the first eye because one farsighted eye and one nearsighted eye is a terrible result. Now that they know what the first cataract surgery eye result is they can be more aggressive shooting for 20/20 on the second eye surgery result.
In any case I would really like to get 20/20 in the second eye and have monovision for around the house and wear a contact for driving etc. Also thank you for your interest.
Andy

Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

My pre-cataract surgery prescription was similar to yours.
I have nearly 20/20 post surgery except for slight astigmatism.
However, with the good distance vision comes not-so-good near vision.
To help you make a decision, what is your near vision like now with your right eye?

Closed Thread