It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

airbrushed HB User
Restor Lens implants

I had Acrosof ReSTOR IOL lens implants in both eyes 4 weeks ago and am still having difficulty seeing clearly. Has anyone else had this procedure and how long was your recovery? Before surgery I had about -2.75 vision in both eyes and small aystigmatism in both eyes. My near vision was pretty good although I could tell it was starting to go--I'm 47, so I guess that's the aging process. My vision before surgery was completely perfect with glasses. I could read with or without glasses and was only sometimes taking my glasses off to read very small print.
Problems Today:
I don't have sharp vision at any distance. Far away is fuzzy as is mid-range. Close up is nauseating because the image keeps moving and changing.
I can't tell the difference between black, dark brown and dark blue
My ability to see contrast is greatly reduced. This is the most frustrating part right now because I teach math and trying to mark handwriting in pencil is next to impossible. I can't see if a student writes one part of their number more lightly than another (very common in handwriting) the lighter part completely disappears for me and so I end up thinking that an 8 is a 2 and making all sorts of errors. Excuse my spelling b/c I can hardly read this screen either. Any advice or someone to commiserate with? My family is a little tired of my complaints.

Last edited by airbrushed; 10-25-2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: misspelled worrds

Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: Restor Lens implants

Hi airbrushed,

I have a ReStor in one eye and a crystalens in the other. I was able to see distance with the ReStor right away, but only in daylight. The close vision with the ReStor has been very slowly getting better -- strong light helps with that too. Your brain has to learn to filter out the ghosts and halos. The intermediate vision with the ReStor is notoriously poor.
My low light vision is not good, and I agree, it's hard to distinguish different darks from each other.

I can really feel your frustration with grading the papers. After my surgery I felt very strongly that part of the process of deciding whether to have the surgery should include a complete work-up of how the patient uses her eyes for various daily tasks, hobbies, and, of course, employment. Then there should be an honest discussion about what kind of "improvements" can be expected with the surgery, as well as what the likely losses will be.

Part of the near vision improving with the ReStor is to get used to holding things or placing them at the optimal distance. But properly refracted reading glasses are a necessity if you are using your eyes to read extensively for work. Try getting bifocals that have the top part for computer distance and the bottom part for reading. This is not commonly done, so you will have to assert yourself a bit to get that kind of prescription. If you don't like them, they should replace them with single-vision lenses at no additional cost.

I also have astigmatism. I have a second pair of glasses for driving and watching movies that sharpen things up a bit. And then I have a third pair of progressive lens glasses that I use at work when I'm at the main desk, working with the public, reading books and computers at various distances. However, the progressive lenses only give you a clear area of focus in the center half inch of the lenses, so the edges are fuzzy (hence the other pairs of glasses).

I really appreciate how frustrated you are. I think most of the lens replacements doctors do are on elderly, retired people who have someone else to drive them around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

jefields HB User

Hi airbrushed and seriousperson,

I can relate to where you both are, I think. Three weeks ago today I had a Crystalens implant in my left (dominant) eye. I had decent intermediate and near vision by the next day, but no distance at all. I think I tested at 20/100 for distance. It does not seem to have improved.

I was to have the second Crystalens in my right eye yesterday, but after meeting with my doc on Monday, he suggested I consider the ReStor instead, as it would give me good distance and close-up. He also said to consider possibly explanting the Crystalens next week and implanting a ReStor in the left eye. He does not think the vision with the Crystalens is going to improve distance vision at all. I am an artist and photographer, and it's kinda tough taking photos when the image is blurred.

This is day one after the ReStor implant. I have better distance than I did prior to having cataract surgery (even with glasses). It's not great (I think 20/40) but better than I'm used to. Close up and intermediate are fuzzy. I'm hoping that improves with time. Does it seems to?

My quandry now is whether to let him explant the Crystalens next week or keep it as my intermediate vision. I don't have to tell you how expensive these lenses are. My doc said he hated for me to pay that much and just have what is behaving as a monofocal lens. We are to evaluate the ReStor lens again next week the day before the scheduled surgery.

Any thoughts you have to share would be appreciated. I am 64 and had cataracts on both eyes. Colors are great, by the way!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
jefields

Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's a tough decision, jefields.
I have the crystalens in one eye and the ReStor in the other, but my crystalens eye focuses distance and across-the-room intermediate, but not computer or reading, unlike yours that sees close and intermediate.
Can you read with the crystalens eye? If it's pretty good, you might want to leave that alone (not to mention the risks of explanting -- be sure to discus that with your doctor).
20/100 should be good enough for your brain to interpret depth in distance by combining both eyes' input. It might take months before you experience that, though.
And of course you could wear glasses or a contact in one eye.
Best wishes with your decision.
I'll check back here in case you have any other questions that I might be able to answer based on my experience with the two lenses.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
(female)

jefields HB User

Thanks for responding, seriousperson. Actually, I do have a couple questions if you don't mind. Which of your eyes is dominant? Mine is the left eye, with the crystalens, and since I'm not having good distance in that eye, I will have to learn to use my camera with the right eye. So you think with the 20/100 that over time, the left eye will learn to see distance in concert with the right eye? That would be good, because now it still feels like I'm looking through different lenses when I look at distant objects. The left (Crystalens) one feels "fuzzy"...hazy.

Other question...did your distance improve over the first few weeks, or was your distance vision the first day after surgery as good as it got? I'm really hoping mine gets better.

I am watching TV and seeing further with the ReStor. It's also focusing a little bit for reading. The computer and reading are the Crystalens. The TV (about 8 feet away) is blurry with the Crystalens.

I'm just hoping the changes will be enough that I can make a good decision on Wednesday about whether to exchange the Crystalens for a ReStor. I would like it better if my Crystalens eye didn't feel strange, but that may be something that requires time (it's only been 3 weeks and 2 days).

I'm so thankful for this site where I have already learned a lot more than I have at my doctor's office. I agree we should be more educated by them so that we could make good decisions.

Thanks again for being here...jefields

Old 10-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
(female)

airbrushed HB User

Jefields,
In answer to one of your questions:
My clsoe up, intermediate and distance vision improved daily after the Restor until about week 2 when it stabalized and worried me since it's really not good enough. However, if I think about where I was 5 days ago instead of yesterday, it is still improving. After one month though everything is still fuzzy. It's hard to explain, and maybe you can relate. When I try to read something I do know what it says even though I can't focus on it at any one time. I guess my brain does get the image, but it's not what I'm used to and nothing seems clear. My disappointment with the surgery may be different than yours. I didn't have cataracts and I was expecting my vision to be better than before the surgery, not worse. I didn't realize that natural weak vision is better than bionic. By the way, have you noticed your pupils 'flash' in the right kind of light. I was sitting in a dim restuarant the other night with a friend and she said my eyes kept catching a light and relecting--I noticed it myself when looking in a mirror once and it really is strange. It sounds like you're making a complicated decision, I can tell you that my dominant eye is corrected for distance and my other eye is undercorrected so that I have intermediate. I wonder if this incongruency is what is causing the blur I always see. The theory is that I will eventually adjust to this, but it hasn't happened yet. I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #7
(female)

airbrushed HB User

thanks for the info seriosperson,
It helps to hear that your reading vision didn't come right away. I hope I don't end up needing bifocals, as I didn't before. I went through this whole procedure to get rid of my glasses not to end up with three pairs. Your glasses regime sounds very complicated. What was the situation like for you pre-op?
My left eye is undercorrected to give me mid range distance, and basically I would say that my midrange is the best. I can see quite well from about 2-4 feet away--but once again I'm using my non dominant eye for this and so I think my brain hasn't adjusted to this yet and it isn't relaxing. You are right about reading and finding the correct distance. This is what I keep doing, moving the book around to find the focus and then when I move my eye I lose it again. Very frustrating. Once again, not a problem I had before. When I look into the distance and cover my left eye, I can see quite well, although not as well and with glasses before surgery. when I uncover my left eye, then everything gets fuzzy again. I guess b/c the undercorrected image blurs the good one.
Do you feel like your vision has stabalized now, and if so, how long did this take for you?

Old 10-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

I had cataract surgery on both eyes in July.I went with the mono lens and I am so happy I did since I have had to wear glasses since I was 42 and now all I need is the drug store glasses to read fine print. My doctor told me about Restor and other lenses but after reading up on them to me they were not worth the risk and he seemed to agree with me. Good luck airbrushed. I had to wear bifocals for ten years and I never got use to them.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
(female)

airbrushed HB User

seems I posted the same thing twice

Last edited by airbrushed; 10-28-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbrushed View Post
...I can see quite well, although not as well and with glasses before surgery....
That is the issue that doctors don't seem to be getting. I was promised (by an optometrist that worked for the ophthalmologist) that after the surgery my vision would be better than before. However, I thought that meant better than what I was seeing with corrective lenses. I wonder how long it will take before the doctors start making that distinction when talking to patients.

Before surgery my uncorrected vision was very nearsighted (about -6.5) with some astigmatism and difficulty changing focus from near to far, but I could see things very close without glasses. I wore progressive lenses.
In hindsight (no pun intended) I think that if I had had several pair of glasses before the surgery (for driving, reading, etc. like I do now) and a realistic understanding of what to expect after surgery, that I would have not had the surgery for another 10 years. My cataracts were very small, although they were in the center of my vision, so who knows for sure?

Having to switch glasses does get tiresome, but I like glasses (I've worn them for 44 years except 10 years of contacts as a young adult). If I had money to burn I'd get even more pairs LOL. Also, since I can get by without glasses now for most things, it's not so bad. Before surgery if I ever put my glasses down somewhere and forgot where, I couldn't see well enough to look for them.

For me the surgery was very traumatic emotionally and psychologically, so I think that greatly slowed down my eye-to-brain adaptation time. At six months I was beginning to be okay, but it really took me about a year to come to terms with everything, and probably almost that long for my brain to filter out glare and ghosts.

Today I went for a walk on the beach without glasses and enjoyed the view immensely.

Editing to add that when I first wore bifocals about 15 years ago it took me a month until I stopped wanting to take them off and fling them across the room, and a year to where I didn't see the line anymore. But they really do work well now for computer and reading (not for generally walking around or driving).

Last edited by seriousperson; 10-30-2007 at 07:39 PM.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
(female)

diana007 HB User

Hi there! I couldn't believe my eyes when I read about the flashing eye thing that's happening to you. First let me say that I had Restor lenses implanted in both eyes in October, 2007. Similar to many who have had the surgery, my doctor never bothered to explain the pros and cons and to date, never gives me definite answers about anything I'm experiencing. Well needless to say, the road to recovery has been bumpy with problems ranging from dry, painful and generally irritated eyes to unclear vision, halos, glare, and of course the flashing. In fact, the other day the sun was in my face and a friend let out a shriek telling me that my eyes were flashing. I had already noticed that in the mirror one day as I was putting on makeup with the bathroom light on. But another thing I'm experiencing and can't seem to get any resolution for is that whenever I'm in bright daylight or fluorescent lights, my eyes go into spasms. Difficult to explain but it feels like they're convulsing at rapid speed. I've tried to explain this to the doctor who insisted that it was normal for an eyelid to tick. I kept trying to tell him that it wasn't the eyelid but rather the eye that was spasmotic. He insisted that he couldn't see any problem and sent me on my way. I've seen 3 doctors and every one of them couldn't explain what the problem was. It's so bad sometimes that I actually leave the store so that my eye will stop flickering. Has anything like this happened to you? If so, were you able to find out what causes this? I'm at my wit's end and am beginning to limit my outdoor activities simly because it's so troublesome - worst part of it all, polaroid sunglasses don't help...I just need to know that I'm not going crazy!

Last edited by diana007; 02-09-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have the ReStor in one eye and the crystalens in the other. Sometimes my crystalens eye does a spasmodic thing where it seems that the iris is flexing and moving the crystalens back and forth, which is what it's supposed to do, but not randomly like that.

Once when I was working closely at the computer with someone she said that my ReStor eye looked like a kaleidoscope. We both thought it was kind of cool.

In the first year or so with the ReStor, the starbursts and halos around bright lights really drove me nuts -- especially around oncoming headlights, and especially because that was the year the new cars had the headlights that automatically come on during the day. I concentrated on trying to ignore the not-so-special effects and they actually seem smaller now, and I'm able to tune them out to a large degree. But at night the glare actually obscures everything in its radius, so I have to drive slow in order to not drive faster than my range of vision.

Do any of those things describe what you're going through?

Old 02-16-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
(female)

diana007 HB User

Yes, yes, yes! It does describe the very annoying ping pong game going on in my eyes. What I can't seem to understand is why this happens and better yet, how do I make it stop? As I said, when I raise this issue with the doctors, they all seem to think that I'm imagining the problem and so far, can't get anyone of them to take me seriously.
I've been living in Dubai for 8 years and have been very happy here but now, because of this health problem, have decided to pack it all up and return home for some answers. I really believe the doctors here can't help me so I've decided that I have to go home to take care of myself.
As for the halos and ghosts, they are really annoying. It's been over 5 months since the surgery and still I see them during the day and night. Most times I avoid driving or going anywhere because I get so tired always having to concentrate so much on the road. I used to be outgoing, self-sufficient and confident and now I find myself withdrawing and not enjoying life! Wish I had known what I was getting into before the surgery and blame myself for not doing more research and the doctor of course for not taking the time to explain.
Another strange thing is the feeling that my eyes are swollen. They sometimes feel as though they're trying to push themselves out of the socket, like there's not enough room for them. Maybe pressure? Not sure. I went to see a doctor only a week ago and he didn't mention any eye pressure problem. Does that ever happen to you?
Thanks for your message and it makes me feel better knowing that I am not alone!
Diana

Old 02-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know what you mean about feeling socially withdrawn. I'm afraid to drive any distance that would cause me to have to drive home in the dark. I do drive in the dark a few miles around my home, and once had to pick up a daughter at the airport at night. But I do avoid going anywhere else at night.

If you've been living in one place for a number of years, it will be a bit of a struggle adjusting to a new home again. Best keep that in mind as you go forward with your decision to leave Dubai. And I seriously doubt you will find the ophthalmologists in the States to be any more sympathetic than what you have already encountered.

But things will continue to improve with regards to your brain filtering out the glare. I think the eye bouncing thing is the iris reacting to the glare.

I've found that wearing amber or brown tinted sunglasses filters out a lot of the glare without making everything too dark. I wear glasses most of the time and have anti-reflective coating on them, which helps too.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #15
(male)

Johnsburgh HB User

Hi Folks! Dianna, have the same problem with spasming in my right eye. Had Crystalens implant in October 2007. Immediately after surgery, had severe spasming and still do. The spasming is triggered by sunlight and flourescent light. Seems worse when the light is overhead and at my right peripheral. Was so bad I could barely stand to read documents at work and was driving me nuts! In addition to the spasming, I have significant halos and brilliant streaking at night so much so that I am nearly night blind. I also have double/blurred vison in the right peripheral. The doc who did the surgery kept saying he had no idea what the problem was and hoped the problems would go away with time. They didn't so long story short I got a referral to a cornea specialist who is treating me now. He has given me drops (pilocarpine) that restrict the pupil which has helped the night vision and has reduced the spasming somewhat during the day. However, the double vision in the peripheral is no better. The new doc says he hopes it works but again has no idea what is causing the problems and does not believe the double vision problem is correctable but maybe my brain will learn to compensate. He also has told me that the IOL is most likely the problem but says too risky to explant. I'll let you know how things progress. Hope yours gets better!

Closed Thread