It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
(male)

MMartin33 HB User
what can i do about my chronic red eyes

I've had chronic red eyes for about 7yrs. now. This condition is driving me crazy. Every morning I look like I'm incredible hungover even though i haven't drank in 3yrs. I've tried everything. Been to the doctor several times, all they ever give me is worthless eyedrops. And it never works. The only thing that works is Bausch and Lomb redness reliever, but this is always temporary..my eyes are always red in the mornings and may take all day for them to clear up. I started having this problem about 7yrs. ago when I used to smoke a little marijuana. I haven't smoked in 5yrs. and the problem keeps getting worse. Somebody please help me!

Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: what can i do about my chronic red eyes

I know exactly how you feel. Have you been to an opthomoligist? I just went today for a problem that really in the beginning started 5 years ago. Then my right eye was really red for about a year and I had gone to 10 doctors and they all were confused and no drops they gave me helped in the long run. Well back then they diagnosed me with blepharitis/ocular rosacea.

They prescribed oral antibiotics and I took them for 3 months. I stopped after 3 months and for about 3 years the problem had cleared up. Well it started up again two years ago. It seems worse in the summer so I thought it was allergies this time. Well since last month my left eye is all red and inflamed. I went to the opthomoligist today and he also diagnosed me with blepharitis/ocular rosacea. It's basically inflammation of the eye lids and the oil glands get all clogged and your eyes don't get lubricated the way they should. It's kind of like acne in your eye lids just the same type of infection anyway.

I'm taking oral antibiotics again for who knows how long he prescribed a months worth so we'll see if I can stop after that point.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
(female)

joybelle108 HB User

I also have ocular rosacea. My ophthalmologist told me to use SteriLid to clean my eyelids each morning and to use artificial tears 4 x daily. It seems to help some but I've only been doing it for a short time. I am also on low dose antibiotics for rosacea and that is supposed to help with the ocular rosacea problems as well. It takes about 2 months before changes are noticeable. Hope this helps.

Joybelle

Old 11-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Thanks for the info. My opthomologist told me to get Systane eye drops but I forgot them today. I'm going to get the ones that come in individual vials with no preservatives in them. I'll have to get some tomorrow. What kind do you use?

I've never heard of Sterilid before I'll have to check that out too.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
(female)

joybelle108 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171 View Post
Thanks for the info. My opthomologist told me to get Systane eye drops but I forgot them today. I'm going to get the ones that come in individual vials with no preservatives in them. I'll have to get some tomorrow. What kind do you use?

I've never heard of Sterilid before I'll have to check that out too.
My ophthalmologist said any "artificial tears" product will serve the purpose. I buy the less expensive Walmart brand but I always use TheraTears SteriLid which I also purchase at Walmart for about $14. It does last so it isn't all that expensive to use. It has helped a lot with the stickiness when I first get up each morning. Also regular use of the eye drops makes a huge difference. It was hard to get into the habit of doing that 4 x daily, but it does work.

Joybelle108

Old 11-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I'll have to look for the generic also in the artificial tears. The systane was not cheep. Right now I'm having to put eye drops in 9 times a day. I have to use the steroid eye drops in my left eye to bring down the inflammation and then use the artificial tears in both eyes 4 times a day and then use antibiotic eye drops before bed. I feel like I'm constantly putting drops in. It's really helping. Eventually I'll be able to quit the steroid eye drops in my left eye not sure when though. I have an appointment with my opthomologyst this Friday for my follow up visit. I'll see what he says.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
(male)

gastroguy1965 HB User

I've been having the same problem. I started with an opthamologist. I spent 3 months with him trying to figure out what the problem was with my eyes, then I started to get pain in my face, and thought to think about sinuses. The eye drops were fairly useless. The problem was worse in the morning, which I understand is one of the indicators. Also, having the problem on just one side also happens with this condition.

Anyway, I got a lot of relief by using a hypertonic nasal saline spray, and then I switched to a hypertonic saline wash (web search nasal irrigation). I've got an appointment with an ENT in 2 weeks. It seems there is a pair of sinuses near your eyes that can get infected. There is a bunch of literature on this in Pubmed, but it gets published in ENT journals, not in opthamology journals, so eye doctors don't know about it. Hope that helps. -gg

Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
(male)

k10M HB User

I am just getting started with drug treatment, Tobradex and oral Augmentin, and could really use input. Have suffered with red eyes for years. Used lubricants, Opcon-A, Systane, Blink, Clear Eyes, and Restasis, all to no avail. Opthomologist used plugs in lower tear ducts to prevent seepage of tears. Have read here about sleep patch, and even laser therapy to help. Does anyone have any experience with these or other treatments. Can you recommend aphysician trained in these matters. I live in SE MI. Thanks, Ken

Closed Thread