It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
(male)

wocalax19 HB User
Double Vision after looking at TV/computer screen for a bit

I have been getting double vision after long periods of time in front of screens. I have been getting it for years, and it only happens when I stare intensely at a TV screen or computer screen (most cases I am playing a game). I need to be playing for at least two hours, and it takes a day or two to go away. However, if I continue to play it can take as long as a week to two weeks for the double vision to subside. The double vision is vertical, and I usually only notice it with light colors or white images. I also can see through it, so it is like a ghost, and the displacement of the object starts out very small and increases if I continue to play games. At one point it was so bad that I experienced double vision and noticed all colors and it lasted about two weeks until it was completely gone. The double vision is still there even if i close one eye or the other. After some research I learned that vertical double vision could be a result of extreme dry eyes which I believe the case is. I just got some Visine eye drops and intend to see how they work. I also plan on going to a eye doctor but I would like to hear what others think it could be. Stopping playing or being exposed to a computer screen less is difficult because I want to program and design games so I spend a lot of time playing games, coding, and doing other work with computers.

Also, I noticed that I squint to attempt to make the double vision go away. It usually helps but may be worsening. Also, I just was playing and it seems that if the double vision is almost gone, and I start again, it returns very fast

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Double Vision after looking at TV/computer screen for a bit

It's good you are going to an eye doctor. That should get to the root of the problem. There are different types of double vision. True double vision is a brain thing--the brain doesn't fuse the images coming from each eye. You have something different--yours is an eye thing (present when you close one eye). It could very well be caused by dry eye. Or it could be a combination of things--for example, astigmatism aggravated by dry eye. It sounds almost like a persistent afterimage you get.

There are products on the market specifically for dry eye--Visine is not one of them. You need a lubricant or artificial tears.

The sooner you get to the doctor, the sooner your problem should be solved.

Closed Thread