It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
(male)

123boyzz HB User
severe eye pain, only when sleeping?

I cut my eyeball about 3 months age by a piece of paper and i was in sever apin unitl i went to see the doctor. They put some medicine on it and just said it was a pretty bad cut.
The problem is when i fall asleep at night i literally will wake up in severe pain for about 20 minutes and then it slowly goes away. Like i said its strange that this only happens at night. I can rub my eye during the day and live a normal pain free life until i go to sleep. Does anyone know what is happening?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User
Re: severe eye pain, only when sleeping?

123boyzz,

When we sleep, our eyes often aren't entirely shut. So the eyeballs may be dried out by morning. During the day, blinking the eyelids causes the tears to be distributed across the eyeball, and keeps the eyes from drying out. That's my guess.

Perhaps someone here has some suggestions for keeping your eyes from drying out overnight. Or perhaps you could ask your optometrist for a suggestion for eyedrops that you can apply first thing in the morning.

I know of some people who don't properly produce enough tears to keep their eyes from drying out, even in the daytime. They use some form of drops to act as artificial tears. Doees anyone here know anything about this?

--Rheanna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
(male)

ebmd HB User
Re: severe eye pain, only when sleeping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123boyzz View Post
The problem is when i fall asleep at night i literally will wake up in severe pain for about 20 minutes and then it slowly goes away. Like i said its strange that this only happens at night. I can rub my eye during the day and live a normal pain free life until i go to sleep. Does anyone know what is happening?
This is the classic description of "recurrent corneal erosion." It almost always happens at night while sleeping. Eye dries out, and when you open your eyes part of the top layer of the cornea comes off. The damaged part heals enough to not hurt usually within an hour or so, but depending on how bad your initial abrasion was it can take many weeks to be truly healed. Since your eye stops hurting in about 20 minutes, they are probably minor erosions right now.

Look up "recurrent corneal erosion" or "RCE" on this board or the web for more information and tips. If you don't have any other underlying problems, you may be able to just be diligent about applying drops etc until the cornea really heals. Often an initial abrasion like you describe leads to these erosion events. If you have bad underlying corneal problems, it can be corrected with laser surgery (which is what I had to do to cure it).

Next time it happens, do a walk-in to an opthalmologist - they will be able to see how big it is if you go in within a few hours of the pain. It's probably best if the opthalmologist specializes in corneal problems, but it's common enough that that's not required.

Even though it doesn't hurt during the day, don't ever rub it. Get some preservative-free drops, and use something like "Genteal Gel Severe" at night. Stay away from any ointments that have "petrolatum" in them (like Lacrilube, etc). Don't let your eyes dry out during the day, and use sunglasses if it's bright out.

Again, look up RCE or recurrent corneal erosion.

ebmd.

Closed Thread