It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

cherbear123 HB User
Seeing white spots, NOT FLOATERS, advice please!!!

I guess this is not really urgent, but still very scary to me.

I am a 25-year-old female. I have been seeing white spots since I was 11 years old. That's 14 years, and they haven't changed at all as far as I can tell, so I guess that's a good sign.

This problem has never been diagnosed. Every eye doctor I have been to has examined my eyes and found no problem, but obviously this is not normal. I've been told that it's floaters but I researched floaters, that is not what I have. The descriptions and visuals don't match what I see.

The best way I can describe it is that it's like watching TV and the reception is bad. It's fuzzy white spots, millions of tiny ones it seems, but I can see through it. I am somewhat near-sighted (-3.25 vision) but with glasses or contacts on I can see just fine. But when I look at the sky, or a blank wall or something like that, I can see these spots. It is especially bad at night, or when I close my eyes, it is very noticeable. I think it is somehow light-related, or damage to my retina, because my eyes are also very sensitive to light. On really sunny days it is hard for me to keep my eyes open without sunglasses.

I know there are people with bigger problems ... I mean, I can see and I feel really lucky ... and sometimes I go months without noticing them, because I have lived with them for most of my life ... but sometimes I just think about it and feel upset because I don't know what's wrong with me and I've never been taken seriously. Even when I was 11 and I told my mother about this problem she didn't believe me, she thought I was making it up, and once in a while she will say "Hey, are you still seeing spots?" And I get so frustrated because she doesn't understand, they have never gone away, and they never will go away. Sorry to get so emotional, I just don't know where to turn and I've never met anyone with this problem, and even when I look on the internet I can't find anyone like me. I worry that some day it will get worse or blind me. My last eye doctor told me that I am a good candidate for laser eye surgery because my prescription hasn't changed in a long time, and I would love to have it, but I wouldn't feel safe having lasers until my condition is diagnosed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Seeing white spots, NOT FLOATERS, advice please!!!

Do some searches on "visual snow". That's what it sounds like. It's very common.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

cherbear123 HB User
Re: Seeing white spots, NOT FLOATERS, advice please!!!

Thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate your help. I will research it right away!!
It makes me feel better to know that it is common, because I have never known anyone who has it.

The following user gives a hug of support to cherbear123:
boozikenz (03-28-2011)
Closed Thread