It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
(male)

bboy1 HB User
I can't see properly through my new glasses. Distorted/warped!

So I just got some new glasses,

Nike 4102

however the lenses seems weird. They're single vision lenses as I'm short sighted.

My old glasses had pretty flat/straight lenses but these Nike ones are much more curved and I'm wondering if it's because of that.

I bought them online and my prescription details I gave them were correct and up to date however I cannot see properly through them. When looking through them, my vision is sharp however the whole image as a whole through both eyes seems warped...especially my peripheral vision. It also feels like I'm seeing through 2 different eyes instead of them forming the 1 big image....like they're disjointed or something. It feels like there's some degree of refraction because of the curvature.

I emailed the site and they said it's because of progressive lens/no line bifocals. I told them I ordered single vision lenses. They then said

"I am sorry I misunderstood. There isn't a bifocal or a no line in your lenses. It is single vision. Because the frame is curved that could cause some distortion of to the side.
Thank you"

Not much help. I can't where these damn things cause they're just not right. Everything's messed up and my depth perception is really bad. I'm wondering....if it is because of the curvature, wouldn't they have made the lenses so that it wouldn't be distorted....seriously.

Does anyone else have pretty curved lenses and have had any similar experiences?

I'll have to go to my Optometrist and ask them. I wouldn't usually buy lenses online but since I was buying the new frames I thought I'd just pay for new lenses too since it's cheaper than getting frames put in at the Optometrist.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-25-2008 at 03:29 PM. Reason: please do not post pictures for any reason - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
(female)

Aglaia HB User
Re: I can't see properly through my new glasses. Distorted/warped!

Hi there -

I just ran into a problem similar to yours at Pearle Vision. In the past I had always gotten my glasses and lenses from Lenscrafters and tnever had problems. With these (and the identical prescription I had before), things curved at the end. The computer screen looked like a ball was coming out at me, and when they replaced the lenses things were wavy. After 4 tried I finally have two lenses that are fine.

You may want to go back to your optometrist just to make sure the prescription is correct, but chances are that the issue is with the lenses. It's possible that you just ended up getting a bad pair and simply replacing it with the same prescription will fix things. Different lens brands can be made on a different basecurve, which for me really threw things off in my peripheral vision. Some people are sensitive to this, while others aren't. However, you not seeing things as one image sounds as a bigger challenge. When ordering online, how do they know how far apart to space the centerpoints of the lenses? This number isn't generally on a prescription and is measured in a glasses store.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
(female)

Aglaia HB User

P.S. - I don't believe the issue would be with the frame. There are more straight and more curved frames and yes, generally the straighter kinds can take more prescriptions, but I was told by my optometrist that it's only extremely strong prexcriptions where curved glasses would be an issue. My eyes are around -4.25 and that isn't even enough for me to have to stay away from curved frames.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
(female)

gogamar HB User

Hi Aglaia,

I really hope you see this message! I have the same problem (curved vision, flat surfaces become cylindrical when I'm 1m from them, my sensation of depth is wrong (e.g. stairs seem to be either closer or farther than they really are, I'm not sure), everything seems a little smaller than it is, and my peripheral vision is curved, etc). I even feel nauseous.

The lenses they put in are:
organique spherique
clear plastic spherical
-4 both eyes

Since I never wore glasses (but only contact lenses for 10 years) when I got the glasses 5 days ago, I wasn't sure if having such distorted vision with glasses was normal or not. But I was sure that if people saw like this, nobody would ever wear glasses!

So I went back to the optician, and she told me that all this was completely normal and that I needed to get used to it.

I've been wearing those glasses for the last 5 days for approx. 30 min every night in front of TV and NOTHING IS CHANGING.

What kind of lenses do you have now that you see fine?

I hope you see this message... I don't know what to say to the optician to change my lenses, but these are simply not good!! And I paid €300 for my glasses!

Closed Thread