It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
(female)

beth468 HB Userbeth468 HB User
Glaucoma maybe? Confused 36 year old

Hi,

I am 36 years old and have recently been told by my opthamologist that I may have the early stages of glaucoma.

I went for a regular eye exam about 2 weeks ago. I hadn't been in about 3 years and I figured it was time I go. The vision in my right eye has been getting blurrier over the last year. I had RK (radial keratotomy) done on both my eyes about 15 years ago, and I figured my right eye had started to slip and that I probably would need to start wearing glasses.(I've had 20/20 in my left eye since the RK, but the right one didn't do as well).

After the full eye exam, the doctor finally came in and he wanted to re-dilate my eyes to check the pressure one more time. He did and said it was slightly elevated. He wanted me to come back a week later and take the vision field test and re-check the pressure again. He sort of mentioned glaucoma, but didn't really go into detail. Said for me not to worry, that it was probably nothing.

Well, I went back a week later to take the vision field test. I passed it and the dr. checked the pressure in my eyes. He said it was normal that time. He told me that he pressure wasn't what concerned him, that it was the pictures they took of my eyes that weren't normal. He told me that I could possibly be showing signs of early stage glaucoma. He suggested that I start using Travatan Z drops in both eyes every night for 3 months. He said both eyes showed problems in the pictures. He wants me to come back in 3 months and he will re-examine my eyes. He told me not to worry about this, that he would take care of me.

Ok, first of all, how can I not worry? I'm 36 and may possibly have glaucoma in both of my eyes.

Secondly, why couldn't he just tell me, "yes, you do have glaucoma". Why did he act uncertain about it?

Oh me, I never dreamed anything like this would happen. Now I think about things like, gosh, will I be able to see when my son gets married one day? Will I be able to see my daughter marry and have a baby one day? It's a scary thought to think you may not be able to see anymore one day.

Any thoughts, words of encouragement, or advice is greatly appreciated. I'm just really confused and scared right now.

Thanks,
Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
(female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User
Re: Glaucoma maybe? Confused 36 year old

How long have you been going to this eye doctor? How about getting a second opinion? I just don't understand why they would give you drops and still "not sure" if you have glaucoma or not. I went through something similar, although at first I was going to an optometrist, who was tellling me at 40 that I probably had glaucoma but they "were not sure". Sent me for weeks & weeks of the same tests, pressure, vision field test, etc. I got fed up and saw a opthamologist to get to the bottom of this. I too was worried like crazy. They did all the same tests and in 1 visit told me I have a condition called "drusen", something you are born with, crystal like spots on retina, but this will screw up results of the field vision tests. I did not have glaucoma. Drusen is nothing than can do about it, it is not affecting my sight at all and I get checked every year. I just think if possible if you can see another doctor to give you an accurate diagnosis. They should know in 1 visit. Fingers crossed they tell you they are wrong.

Closed Thread