It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
(male)

Maddman HB User
trouble with one eye, all of a sudden:large shadow spot ?

hey everyone
this is rather scary to me . All my life Ihave had fairly good eyes. No glasses, good vision, fast focusing. but all of asudden about 4 days ago, not abruptly , more like after I woke up from a nap or sleep sometime , I noticed really bad vision problems. At first it seemed like a whole range of things. I waas out at night and it looked like i was hallucinating. Shoot I wass seeing spots , circles , shadows, stange stuff. I suppose it settled a little and I figured it was almsot going away, but it seems to have settled into one laarge , centered,fairly bad spot of a shadow and or spot of NO focus ....
This is only in my righteye, my left seems to be unaffected. Its really strange , because I can actually close my left and notice the bad shadow spot easily now. when i look through my left (with my right eye closed) vision is good, and i notice the difference.
So before I had all kinds of strange effects, alot like after looking at a really bright light, and then trying to see. I had some good spots , rings , circles, and shadows. trying to see at night was disturbing , and still is troublesome !
Most of the circles are gone (when my eyeis open), but i can consistently see a lingering one right in the center , right where the shadow,bad focus , spot is now .
It is basically the main center of my right eye... the majority of it .
Anyone have any ideas to what may have casued this ... is ther anything I can do before I seek out a eye doc????

thanks for any input

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: trouble with one eye, all of a sudden:large shadow spot ?

Get to an eye doc right away. Sounds like it could be an occlusion, among many other things. Hope it;s nothing serious, but treatment is always better sooner than later.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
(male)

jungle jim HB User

Hi there, i don`t want to scare you any more but my advise is get to a doctor straight away. I was at work in 1994 and all of a sudden i lost the sight in one eye on examination, it was found my -pituitary gland had a growth on it, and if it was not removed i would have a seriouse sight problem, let`s hope your`s is not so iffy so get it sorted, after all you only get ONE set of eyes, i now have impaired vision in one eye. good luck j.jim

Last edited by jungle jim; 08-15-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: neededto say more

Old 08-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
(male)

Maddman HB User

yeah thanks for the replies

It hasnt gone away , or gotten any better ....
maybe even a bit worse...but basically the same

large shadowy spot of blurred vision , right in the center and the majority of my right eye .

Its really messing up my vision and overall function. i have big trouble looking for thing s and trying to see at night.
Its much better if i just close my bad eye and use the left eye .

I called some doctors and almost had an appointment, but they needed a referral , and then my PCP said they wanted to see me there , and i havent had the chance. the PCP doc's office recommended that I go to the emrgency room .
they felt like I could get the best tests and procedures there anyway ....

Would this be a good idea ? the emrgency room ?
the local hospital is pretty good and I think it could be a good idea , yet expensive,
But would I really recieve the right treatment(tests exams, etc) through a late night emrgency room ?????

Old 08-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
(male)

Maddman HB User

yeah thanks for the replies

It hasnt gone away , or gotten any better ....
maybe even a bit worse...but basically the same ...

large shadowy spot of blurred vision , right in the center and the majority of my right eye .

Its really messing up my vision and overall function. I have big trouble looking for things and trying to see at night.
Its much better if i just close my bad eye and use the left eye .

I called some doctors and almost had an appointment, but they needed a referral , and then my PCP said they wanted to see me there , and I havent had the chance. the PCP doc's office recommended that I go to the emrgency room .
they felt like I could get the best tests and procedures there anyway ....

Would this be a good idea ? the emrgency room ?
the local hospital is pretty good and I think it could be a good idea , yet expensive, like 125 compareed to 30 copay. of course not a huge deal if they give me the right treatment, but if not if could be a huge waste of time and money .
But would I really recieve the right treatment(tests exams, etc) through a late night emrgency room ?????

Old 08-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
(female)

heathergirl HB User

Ok Maddman! Im not joking this same thing happened to me three weeks ago in my right eye also! It was driving me up the wall. So first thing I did was go to a optometrist just a regular eye dr. He dilated my eyes and found there was bleeding behind my eye! What caused it is still unknown. But mine is clearing up now, but I did go see a MD dr and they took some pictures of my eye and looked at it and stuff! I would go get it checked out! Just to be on the safe side! But those were my same symptoms. Have you had any trauma to your head? Thats what causes bleeding behind your eye most of the times...but I had nothing.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
(male)

Maddman HB User

WOW , very interesting !

thanks for the optimistic response ! !

the symptoms are starting to really worry me. It still hasnt gone away or subsided at all , maybe a bit worse and more noticable/defined.

I am about to go to the ER right now...at least to see whats going on there ...ask some questions

I guess I gotta get my eyes checked out

- oh no trauma that I can remember , but strange thing the other night , I cracked my neck ( like usuall, I have have some neck/back probs, but no problems like this till now ) loosening it up, just from side to side strecthing like. And the bad spot thing in my eye seemed to light up like it was affected . before and now when I close my eyelid , i can see a defintite circle spot , where the problem is. It s rather bad. This is the spot that turns into a shadowy, blurry spot when the eye is open.

I guess I am going to see if there any docs at the Hospital

Thanks Heather

Old 08-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
(male)

Maddman HB User

Well , back from the ER, and was able to get the eye doc to check it out ! quite costly though

after them shining lights it all day , its feeling even worse now ! ! ! ! hahaha

but the news is good

Yeah the doc checked it out , and said it was a something like what heathergirl described ...

he said it was due to a small vessel at the back of the eye rupturing and letting either blood or fluid fill the back eye, something like that .

he said he wants to give it a few days, probably, to see if it lets up, if not then he will give some injection (where he didnt mention).

but overall, It looks like he felt that it would clear up ...

he mentioned the symptoms werein lione with this type of problem, and if it were worse the lose of sight would be worse(more black spots and such)....

so I also have an appointment on monday for him to check it out further.

My pupil is still about the size of a dime ! hahahah
apparently he spotted what he wanted to see in my eye and had a bit of hesitation , but said that it would clear up in a while ....

Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

What's money when your eyesight is involved? I always think, "that cost x-number of beers, or cigarettes, or video games, or jeans, etc." to put it in perspective.
Glad it wasn't too serious.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #10
(male)

Maddman HB User

yeah, hopefully it clears up or the treatment works as the doc said. a big blurry spot for vision in one eye is hard to deal with . I have a new understanding of what it may be like for people with other eye problems and bad eyesight .

It is really something you shouldnt take for granted.Eventhough it cost a bit for a short visit , and checkup by the eye doc, it was worth it. Just to know , and have a little peace of mind. they also said that with any eye problems like this its best to get to a doc right away , as it could be very serious. If they could do anything it would be priceless in a time of need.
But , I got real lucky with the er deal. If I had gone at a different time I think I woulda been looked over and sent to the eye doc on Monday, still having to pay the er copay .
I went in and there wasnt an eye doc there, but they called him and he was able to drop by in about 1/2 hour. I really got lucky, he was available and seemed to be very knowledgable. Of course I shoulda , and coulda got an appointment directly with an eye doc, before , but had trouble getting a refferal right away before the weekend.

I am supposed to see the eye doc again later today, maybe he will give it the treatment. my head/brain is aching to get my vision back

thanks Keela, and Heather
take care

Rob

Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
(male)

FurryFox1 HB User

Hi, I had some bleeding in the right eye around 2 years ago. It cleared up after 15 minutes, leaving some cotton wool spots.

It was due to high blood pressure. So heathergirl & Maddman I'd suggest you buy a blood-pressure wrist monitor and check. Another possible reason would be diabetes (unlikely if you are skinny). You can check that with a blood test.

These two conditions can be treated with drugs and a healthy lifestyle and diet.

Closed Thread