It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
(male)

bryan9182 HB User
Rebound Redness in eyes from eye drops

A couple years ago I got into the vicious cycle of using Redness releiver eye drops. I used them a couple times a day to try and releive some redness from computer use and it turned into using them long term. Now if I do not use the drops, my eyes get very bloodshot. The only way I can get the redness to go away for a long time is to use the drops. I use chilled Systane but that only helps a little bit. I've stopped using the Redness releiver for 3 days now. Is it possible for my eyes to recover? Are my eyes permanently damaged from this?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
(male)

bryan9182 HB User
Re: Rebound Redness in eyes from eye drops

anyone........?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
(female)

browncow10 HB User

Bryan--
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've also been addicted for about two years now, and I'm sick of it. I decided to go cold turkey in only one eye for the past week to see what happens, but so far I haven't seen much improvement I only have Refresh drops, and I don't know if they're strong enough. I read that using Optive or GenTeal drops work much better, but I haven't bought any yet.

Have you seen any differences since you quit? Does going cold turkey work at all? Have you tried other drops besides Systane?

Please reply ASAP...I've been looking all over the internet hoping to find someone who is going through the same thing I am.

Old 09-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
(male)

bryan9182 HB User

yes I have noticed my eyes have gotten better. I dont use any drops at all anymore. My eyes look and feel better without the dryness drops believe it or not. I still have red veins in my eyes, but they arent as visible as they used to be. My eyes are still very dry and red in the morning but it goes away in about 20 minutes after a hot shower. I have an apt. with an eye doctor this week, I am going to ask him to see if I indeed have a dryness problem. I also heard steroid drops such as Lotemax and Alrex can help with our situations. I suggest you make an apt. with an optometrist and ask about the steroid drops.

EDIT: I have been off the redness drops for almost 2 months now, and i've been off the dryness drops for about 4-5 days.

Last edited by bryan9182; 09-28-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
(female)

browncow10 HB User

Bryan, you have no idea how happy reading that makes me feel! I'm so happy for you and now I have hope that I can also get better. I bought Optive eyedrops two days ago and I use those right now instead of the rebound-redness drops. I haven't seen much improvement, but it's only been two days so I can't be impatient.

One more question though: at what point did you start to see significant improvement?

Thankyouthankyouthankyou :]

EDIT: How old are you? Because maybe age plays a part in this, I'm only sixteen.

Last edited by browncow10; 09-30-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
(male)

bryan9182 HB User

I started to notice better results after 1.5-2 weeks. It sucks, but its worth the wait. My eyes still become very red, but an optometrist told me yesterday that I have a serious case of dry eye that is causing them to still be read. He gave me a Tear time break-up test (a test measuring the amount of time it takes for your tears to evaporate causing you to blink again) and my time was only 2 seconds. A normal persons eye is around 7-8 seconds to the tears to evaporate. You just have to hang in there for a week or two. I would actually suggest seeing an optometrist, maybe they can prescribe you with a steroid drop that will help calm the redness for you? If you are using optive, try and get preservative-free bottles and stick them in your fridge. The cold from the refridgerator works as a natural vasoconstrictor, wich actaually will make your eyes less red.

Also, I am only 19 so I think the fact that we are still young really helps us out lol

Old 10-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
(female)

browncow10 HB User

Okay, today is my fifth day using the Optive drops. I'm not seeing any results, though Could it be that I wear contacts every day? Is it bad that I use the drops with my contacts in sometimes (though I try not to)? I play tennis at least five days a week, and I hate playing in glasses so I wear contacts every day. They're disposable though so there's no opportunity for them to build up bacteria or anything. Just a thought...

Old 10-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
(male)

bryan9182 HB User

ur supposed to take out ur contacts before u use eye drops

Old 11-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
(female)

problems123 HB User

Hey guys i know u posted that msg ages ago but i thought i would add a little! Im only 21 still young i guess but i have been using clear eyes since i was 18 which of course reduce the redness in my eyes. I have been using them up 4-8 times a day nearly everyday for this whole time..and now i have become more than over concerned with this problem/addiction. I have been to see a top optometrist and he suggested going cold turkey and pescribed me Alcon...something steroid drops to take for 2 weeks - and they did nothing if anything they made my eyes redder. So i got back on to clear eyes as the easiest option... I am trying cold turkey again now with the help of artificial tears to help the dryness (apparently putting them in the fridge helps)!

This is the most annoying/frustrating problem - thank god im not the only one! By the way has anyone else noticed that there is no warning on the "clear eyes" box to tell you that these arnt safe for long term use? If only i had known 4 years ago! Actually i think it states on the box that it is safe to use the drops daily?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
(female)

browncow10 HB User

I haven't been to an optometrist about my problem, but after doing so much research online it appears that there is no current cure for our problem that is permanent and safe.

I went cold turkey about the middle of September, but used the drops twice for my school's Homecoming. I have not seen any visible results, that may be because I stupidly used the drops with my contacts in...I don't know.

It's extremely frustrating to live like this. I'm forced to live a life where I'm constantly self-conscious about how I look.

If your conditions improve, let us know how! Any information is appreciated :]

Old 11-13-2008, 05:32 AM   #11
(female)

problems123 HB User

So far i have been cold turkey for 5 days tomorrow...My eyes are definately better, but i dont want to have too high expectations because they may get worse and i dont want to be disappointed and get back onto those stupid drops!! So i am basically using artificial tears and thats it...I have heard that wearing contacts pretty much suffocates your eye..not allowing any oxygen at all, which definately causes more blood vessels to appear, so i guess using the clear eyes and the contacts together would make ur eyes definately blood-shot. Can you wear glasses for a while, with the artificial tears just to get ur veins working again, then go back to contacts?! Or surely there are special contacts that allow the eye to breathe that you can get? I have no idea really, im no optometrist...but its an educated guess? But def have a suss of that website about "Rebound Hypethermia" excuse my spelling...its fairly enlightening/ interesting to read..and maybe made me feel a little better/ not so alone! keep positive

Last edited by moderator2; 11-13-2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 11-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
(female)

browncow10 HB User

I should start wearing glasses more and contacts less, but I don't think they are the main problem. My eyes are red even when I wear glasses now, and I switched my contact brand to the best kind for dry eyes. I'm glad your eyes are getting better though. Just keep using the dry eye drops and your condition is sure to improve like Bryan's.

As for my situation...I don't know what to do right now. I have no idea how to help myself. Going cold turkey hasn't appeared to have any effect on me.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:19 AM   #13
(female)

problems123 HB User

Yeah its really annoying, its day 6 now that i have been cold turkey and today my eyes were very veiny (maybe because i didnt have too much sleep last night) but still gone are the days of having white eyes regardless of being hungover or tired. I am coping ok so far but i kind of feel hopeless because no one has stated anywhere on the internet that they have been completely successfull and there eyes have 'gone back to normal' so i really dont know what to expect. And doctors really have no clue at all to how long it will take..or even if it will work. How old are you brown cow? Does Brian still use this thing?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
(female)

browncow10 HB User

I'm only sixteen, which is especially depressing because I don't have any income and any money spent on eye drops and what not has to come out of my own pocket (I haven't told my parents about my condition...what is there to say, really?). I haven't been to a doctor yet either--no car, not enough money, and apparantly there's no hope of going to one anyway.

Also, I still have to go to school, extracurricular activities, etc. so I'm constantly self-conscious. I can't just say "Wow, my eyes look horrible today so I'll just skip school" or anything...my mom wouldn't let me. I don't even want to think about how life will be if this continues into my adult years.

How old are you problems123?

Old 11-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #15
(male)

bryan9182 HB User

I went to an eye doctor about a month ago who told me my overuse of visine and other visine-like products is no longer an issue. He said the rebound redness stage of those drops lasts no longer than a few weeks. He ran some tests on me and told me that my tear evaporation rate is extremely fast (about 8-9) seconds faster than a normal eye, so he said that dryness is the cause of my everyday redness. He prescribed me with Restasis wich takes anywhere from 2-4 months before it starts kicking in. Hopefully this will help

Closed Thread