It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User
Drug-store reading glasses. Are they bad?

I've been using drug-store reading glasses for several years. (I'm 50.) Someone told me that they could be bad for my eyes. They seem to work just fine for now. I only use them for reading.

If they're working, does it really matter?

They seem a lot better than the prescription glasses I got 10 years ago which were expensive and gave me bad headaches right from the start.

I had an eye exam 2 years ago. I didn't get glasses from them because I didn't trust that the prescription was correct. The assistant and doctor had very different assessments of my vision (the assistant said I wouldn't pass a driver's test), and I was getting a headache. (My migraines come with visual disturbances. )

I have cheap reading glasses in different strengths. My vision changes slightly during the day so it seems to make sense to have several choices. My favorite pair is 1.5, but I have a stronger pair that I need sometimes.

Last edited by lucylucy; 08-20-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Re: Drug-store reading glasses. Are they bad?

I usually get mine at the dollar store and never had a problem. There's always a chart right at the rack where you put them on and read a sentence 15 inches away.

Sometimes I'm kinda careless with them by not putting them in a case all the time and occasionally losing or breaking them, so I don't feel so bad since I only paid a dollar for them. I get my sunglasses there also with no problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

They won't hurt your eyes. The only trouble is that each eye might need a different strength. If you can find out your prescription, buy two identical pairs of glasses in both those strengths. Pop the lens out of one and put it in the other. You'll then have one good pair at (say) +1.25 left and
+1.75 right.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lucylucy HB User

Thanks that's good advice. I'm overdue for an eye exam. I didn't trust the last exam because I was getting a migraine and my vision seemed to change from minute to minute. (The tech said I'd fail a driver's test, but the doctor said my prescription wouldn't be very strong. It didn't make sense.)

Closed Thread