It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 02:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Worse since the vitrectomy

I had an operation in June to relieve macular traction in my left eye. That involved a 25G vitrectomy and removal of the inner limiting membrane (ILM). I was told that an inevitable result of the operation is a cataract that will appear at an unknown point in the future.
Prior to the vitrectomy, I had a grey oval patch covering the lower right corner of the Amsler chart. However, since the operation I now also have a large area of distortion covering the upper right corner. Looking at myself in a full-size mirror, the right side of my face is in fog and bulges outwards.
This is so frustrating I could scream. The surgeon behaves as though I am making this up. She tells me there is nothing else she can do so go away and live with it!
Strangely enough, I only met two other patients while I was in hospital and they were both back for second operations, the first having failed.
I guess the next step must be to try another hospital but what chance is there of recovering the sight in that eye after 10 months since this problem started?

Old 09-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
(female)

sabrina2 HB User
Re: Worse since the vitrectomy

Brianmf,

I would definitely get a 2nd opinion. I am also having problems after a vitrectomy 25 guage with ILM removal earlier this year. I now have retnal swelling which is causing distortion and poor visual acuity worse than prior to surgery. I am now being treated with avastin only 1 shot so far and I have not seen any improvement as of yet. It is very frustrating. I hope you can find some answers.

Sabrina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

I had vitrectomy surgery for epiretinal membrane, also called macular pucker on my right eye 2 years ago. It was supposed to improve my central vision and it did not. Since that time I developed what they call cystoid macular edema which is a swelling of the macula. This also causes distortion of central vision.

My Doctor said I have one of the thickest membranes he has ever seen. Supposodly they did not get all of the membrane peeled off the first time. I have tried 2 different steroid injections in the eye to see if it would help improve vision but that didn't help either. So now I am faced with a decision as to whether or not to have another surgery using the 25 guage instrument which is supposed to be finer than what was used the first time.

My Doctor says I may never regain perfect vision in that eye, but I may be able to gain 3 -4 lines on the eye chart and that would be a huge improvement from what I have now. I can barely see the big E with my right eye. Thank God I can see well with my left eye.

I will be seeing my doctor at the end of the month to make a decision as to what to do. I first want to know what the percentage of success I can expect. It has to be at least 50 to 60 or I will probably leave it the way it is. I would be awfully disappointed to got through another surgery with the same results. You're right Sabrina, it can and is very frustrating to say the least. I wish you and Brian the best.

Last edited by Dancinboots; 09-06-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Thanks for your responses Sabrina and Dancinboots. I know that a small piece of the membrane was left in place where it's attached to the macula but the surgeon explained that she couldn't cut any closer without risk of damage.
I am seeing my local ophthalmologist in a couple of weeks and, if no improvement by then, I will ask to go to another surgeon for an opinion.
In the meantime, I am continuing to use Pranox (NSAID) drops in an effort to reduce the macular oedema. (How the drops get to the back of the eye is a mystery to me.)

Last edited by TopGeek; 09-07-2008 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Adding detail

Closed Thread