It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
(female)

partycar2000 HB User
what is the stringy mucus i pull out of my eye ball

For the past few years I have had a white like mucus build up in the corner of both my eyes when i go to take it out it's like a long string that runs across my eyeball.I'm almost addicted to takeing this stuff out of my eye i pull this suff out atleast 3 times a day.What is it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: what is the stringy mucus i pull out of my eye ball

There are several conditions that could cause this but the most likely is an infection. In any case, it needs to be checked medically before it causes damage. Either your family doctor or an ophthalmologist would be able to check it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
(male)

mattm4001 HB User

I have the same exact thing but I have had it for years so I doubt its been an infection all this time,

What are some of the other causes?

Old 09-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Infectious conditions that produce sticky mucous can last for years without causing damage or progressing. On the other hand, there is a condition known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) for which there is no specific cause but which produces sticky mucous due to under production of normal eye lubricant. It is generally recommended to use artificial tears (Systane or similar) to help lubricate the eyes and disperse the mucous.
Blocked tear ducts can also cause this. Beyond that, constant air conditioning, working at a computer, smoking or a string of illnesses can also produce similar symptoms.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
(male)

mattm4001 HB User

What kinds of illnesses? I am not trying to be annoying but I have had this for such a long time and have never been able to get any answers and I would love to know what is really causing it.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

I prefer not to be too specific because it is very easy to cause undue concern to readers of this thread. The illnesses concerned would all produce other more worrying symptoms so it is unlikely that you are suffering from any of them.
If you express your concerns about the gunge in your eyes to an ophalmologist I am sure they will determine the reason and provide you with some relief and perhaps a cure.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
(female)

rush-rulz HB User

I have the same problem--in my case, it's blepharitis (although I don't have a lot of the standard symptoms).

Closed Thread