It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

Doctor wrong about progressive lenses?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
jpmcauley
(female)

jpmcauley HB User
Doctor wrong about progressive lenses?

Here is the situation. I made an appointment at a new eye doctor. When I made the appointment, the person scheduling the appointment said I was already in their system. I told them I had never been there but they said they had me in their system anyway.

I go to the appointment, go through all the checks before the eye doctor sees me and then he comes in. Long story short, we end up with a prescription that I never felt comfortable with and he says it's time to go to a progressive lense. He starts flipping back and forth between what he said was my old prescription and my new and says "see how much difference it is". The problem is that what he was saying my old prescription was is really blurry.

I order my glasses and go home, very uncomfortable at this point. So I start thinking about this and realize that he never would have known my old prescription because I had never been there and they didn't take my glasses at any point during the appointment. I also remembered that the guy ordering my glasses had all the wrong address/phone info when he pulled up my record.

Another long story short....they had pulled up another patient's record and were using it as my record. The eye doctor told me he didn't think anything was wrong but he wanted me to come back in just in case. Well, we end up with a very different prescription but he tells me that I still need progressives because "when we get in our 40s, you start needing them". I'm only 32. He was basing his age assumption off my record which really wasn't my record.

So I've had my progressives for about a week now and am having a lot of problems with them. I've never had problems reading small print with my old prescriptions and now I have to turn my head a certain way to read text that I could read just fine before. My question is what should I do? Should I go back and demand that I get a single vision lense? Could this actually do harm to my vision?

This has been the worst experience I've ever had with any kind of doctor and I just think something isn't right. The doctor even told me after the second eye exam that the prescription really wasn't that different. However, the eyeglasses guy ordering the glasses (who had to change the order) told me they were way off...said they weren't even close on my stigmatism.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
1sunny1
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Doctor wrong about progressive lenses?

I would go back and give the glasses back and ask for your money back and go to a different optometrist. I have done this before when they did not help me out at all. I got my money back and got a much better optometrist.

Sunny

Last edited by 1sunny1; 10-11-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
KeelaC
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Doctor wrong about progressive lenses?

I second that.
What a shmozzle.

Closed Thread