It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
(male)

Erdrick HB User
right eye pain when looking at electronic displays (monitors/t.v.s)

Starting about a month and a half ago, I have been having really bad eye pains. They start out in my right eye, and branch out to the right half of my head. I guess what you would call a migraine? They started abruptly, and I have gotten then every day since. I only experience them when looking at a screen. So, anytime I am looking at the t.v., using the computer, playing games, or even typing something on my cell phone, the pain slowly comes on. After stopping use (looking at something other than the display), the pain subsides within about 10-15 minutes. It takes about the same amount of time after starting to use the devices again before the pain comes back.

I have been to the doctor (eye doctor) numerous times. I first thought it was conjunctivitis... but the antibiotics and eye drops didn't fix the problem. The eye doctor tells me it is dry eye.. but the eye drops he gave me don't really do all that much. I think that the English translation for the active ingredient in my dry eye eye drops would be "heyaline"... or something along those lines.

Anyways, it is affecting my ability to work and live a normal life. I don't need glasses, as I still have close to perfect vision (tested by two different clinics). I do need to figure out how to fix this though, as I am getting sick and tired of this pain.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be, and how to alleviate my symptoms? Quitting work is out of the question, as pretty much any job I can think of is going to require computer use.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
Re: right eye pain when looking at electronic displays (monitors/t.v.s)

I don't know what it is that you have, but I do know it isn't a migraine. Migraine pain tends to be persistent for 48-72 hours (or longer) and does not cease intermittantly.

If you're not getting answers from your eye doctor, I would suggest getting a second opinion.

Also, if your eye doctor is an optometrist, I would recommend that you see an opthalmologist instead since they are more familiar with certain diseases that affect the eyes.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
(male)

Erdrick HB User

My doctor is an Opthamologist. I guess that I could get a second opinion somewhere else, but I have visited my company doctor, who is a general practitioner.

Yeah, as for the migraine guess, I was off on that one. The symptoms do seem to be fairly close though. I do feel like throwing up when the pain gets really bad, but again, stopping viewing of either the t.v. or monitor fixes the problem.

Man, you really miss your health when you lose it...

Old 11-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
(male)

Ueland HB User

If you have CRT-screen to your computer, update the refresh rate to at least 75hmz. Or else the eyes will get very upset after a while.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Unfortunately, a lot of people tend to call a bad headache a migraine but the symptoms you describe, Erdrick, are not those of migraine - they are situation specific headaches. In other words, they are headaches induced by a specific activity. However, the reason for your susceptibility is more difficult to understand, especially when you say that it even happens when typing on a cell phone. That makes me feel that it is more likely to be a neurological problem, especially as you seem to have excellent sight. In any case, it should be investigated as it is not normal. Ideally, you should see a neuro-ophthalmologist in the ophthalmology department of a hospital. They might then refer you to a neurologist if they consider it necessary.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 AM   #6
(male)

Erdrick HB User

brianmf: You make a good point. If the problem does not eventually totally subside then I will end up visiting a more specialized doctor. As of now though, after starting a daily regimen of using dry eye eye drops, the pain has gradually started to subside. It still does come up when looking at monitors, though the pain is much more subdued.

Ueland: I am using an LCD, though it is about 4 years old. I plan on buying a nice widescreen one for work when I transfer to the U.S. early next year. I am holding off on buying one for now.

Closed Thread