It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

EYE-KANT-C HB User
Crystalens - YAG Nightmare continues!!

Since I was very nearsighted before the Crystalens IOLs, and started to lose closeup vision (presbyopia) I was told that the Crystalenses would let me see near, far and everything in between. Don't believe it! For some reason my surgeon took it upon himself to make me slightly nearsighted in one eye and slightly farsighted in the other, even though I asked him repeatedly not to. My degree of myopia was EXACTLY the same in both eyes all my life (48 years old -10 contacts). The power he kept referring to in the IOLs were both different and when I asked why, he replied that IOLs aren't the same as contacts. Even though I felt that the numbers should both be the same, he kept insisting the measurements for IOLs are different. So, I ended up with two different powers of IOLs (one near & one far). My guess is that he knows Crystalenses don't actually accomodate much, if at all and he wanted to be "covered" like they instruct at Crystalens-school, according to an article written for surgeons I found on the internet. I also, for some reason, now have slight double vision in the right eye, (the far-sighted eye) so my closeup vision is poor in that eye and the double vision makes the far vision poor.

My surgeon has insisted since even the day after surgery that I had PCO and would definitely need YAG to fix it. A year and a half later (I was scheduled for YAG and cancelled twice) I finally gave in when he said it would fix my double vision. Even though my vision was NOT cloudy, just blurry and double, he said I really needed YAG in both eyes. The "good eye" he said needed it even more than the "bad" eye and was going to do that one first, but I absolutely refused. Apparently I did NOT need YAG surgery at all even though my surgeon INSISTED over and over again that I did. I had absolutely NO improvement in vision.

So, now I have double vision in the "bad eye", blurry up close in that one and blurry far away in the other, and HUGE starbursts in the "bad" eye. I have just found out from reading another post on this board that the starbursts must be caused from Laser Scuffs on the Crystalenses. It's HORRIBLE. I can't hardly see to drive at night and even watching TV is irritating. I believe there is not hope for getting even close to the vision I had before. All because I believed the "hard-sell" of my surgeon. He keeps putting these blurry lenses in front of my eyes and saying, "See, this is how bad your vision was before. Would you really want to go back to that?" (That's also part of the spiel they tell them to do at Crystalens-school when they have an "unhappy customer.") Why yes, doctor, I'd DO ANYTHING to get back the vision I had before this nightmare!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
(female)

LJM51 HB User
Re: Crystalens - YAG Nightmare continues!!

I am sorry you have had such a bad out come....I to had a crystalens implant after cataract surgery...My vision in that eye is poor and I have double vision... My doc also said I needed YAG to help my vision.. I am really upset because I really Like this doc and I trusted his advice to use this lens. I would have never even considered using it without his recommendation.. I have been his patient for 6 years and have always trusted his advice.. I WISH I had researched this lens, before I had the surgery. I have read so much negative feedback.......not to mention the added expense!! !! I told him I thought I would get a second opinion, because I feel the YAG was not going to help.. This would have been his first YAG procedure on the crystalens... and that made me a little uneasy.. I don't think he really knows if it will help and got that advice from the Crystalen people...I personally feel they did not give me the correct lens,and even told them so.. He did not offer a lens exchange to correct the problem.. I really feel that might be risky though... So now I am seeing a different Doc...

Old 04-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
(female)

LJM51 HB User

I can't believe my doc even suggested I get this lens....He knows that I had a large hole in the retina in my other eye!!!!!!!!!!!!I now know I will not get YAG done, because I might just have the darn thing taken out!!!!!!!! You are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't... What a nightmare....

Old 04-17-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

Hi, Eye-Kant-C...I have answers for a few of your concerns. Making IOL power predictions is not an exact science, and the Crystalens is notorious for producing off-target results (because it often changes position in the eye after implantation.) Some surgeons refuse to use the Crystalens for this reason. I agree with you that having one eye farsighted (which is especially bad for an accommodating IOL) and one eye nearsighted is a very poor result. I also suspect that you have some astigmatism (possibly from the cataract surgery itself), which is causing your double vision. In addition, I've read that an incomplete YAG (opening not made big enough) can cause huge starbursts--the solution is a second YAG procedure.

You have already seen what your surgeon can do. Please don't let him touch your eyes again. You need to get another opinion from a doctor familiar with the Crystalens and refractive procedures--even if it means some transportation time and involves a payment plan. Possibly LASIK or PRK can make a big difference in your vision, and a limbal relaxing incision done in the doctor's office might eliminate the double vision. You might also need a second YAG to eliminate the starbursts. Life is short, and you are too young to be handicapped by the problems you've been living with for the past couple of years.

Last edited by JodieJ; 04-17-2009 at 05:12 AM.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
(female)

ardisk HB User

Did your eyes ever get better?

Closed Thread