It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

Problems with new progressive glasses - 6 weeks now

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
smaque
(male)

smaque HB User
Problems with new progressive glasses - 6 weeks now

A couple of months ago I had my eyes tested because Iíd been getting eyestrain occasionally. Iíve been short-sighted and worn glasses for many years, but was now advised varifocals (progressives) because my current glasses are too strong for close work, and this is possibly what has been giving me eyestrain.

Iíve worn these new glasses all day every day for over 6 weeks now and Iím still having problems adjusting. Iím still finding it difficult to focus on objects at different distances (e.g. when in social situations), to see clearly using the VDU and I find it very tiring to read or use the VDU for any length of time, giving me eyestrain.

Iím finding this all so frustrating, that I just want to go back to my old glasses, with a much larger sweet spot. However, I tried that yesterday and couldnít see clearly Ė I guess it is so long since Iíve worn them. Also, my job involves a mix of giving presentations, reading and VDU work, and so I really want varifocals to work for me.

Iím told these are good quality lenses; then lenses alone cost around £250 Ė they are made by varilox. The lenses are fairly thin with a refractive index of 1.67 (if that makes sense?)

I think I am getting used to the varifocal nature of the glasses. Things are distorted at the sides but I have been getting used to that, and I am making a conscious effort look though the correct part of the lens.

However, I am only 42, my prescription is about Ė3.50 R Ė3.0 L with an addition for reading of +0.75 R +1.0 L. I feel part of the problem is that I may not always be looking through the correct part of the lens with such a minor difference Ė for example, I can still see to read or use the VDU through the long-distance bit, but this may not be best for me?

Another factor complicating things is that my old glasses (not varifocal) which Iíve worn for 2.5 years, were tilted inward so that the bottom of the lens was closer to my face, because the design of the frame was such that I was seeing under the frame; reckon its about 20 Ė 25 degrees from vertical. A year later these were adjusted (broken nose buds) and the tilt put back to normal (say 15 degrees), and I had terrible eyestrain until they were tilted again.

Iíve been back to the optician twice, once after 10 days, when he checked the prescription, and tilted the frames beck to pretty much the angle of my old specs. I persevered for another 3 weeks, went back to optician, we discuss how difficult it is to get used to varifocals, he tilted them a little more, and said give it another month (that was a week ago). He said it might take me longer to adjust because of the thinness of the lens (1.67).

My questions are:

What do you think I should do? Could things improve if I stick with the varifocal glasses for even longer than the 6 weeks I have do so far? Any tips to help? Is it worth asking for glasses specially for VDU use, for example?

Is it common to have varifocals when there is only a difference of 0.75 or 1 between long-distance and near-distance vision? Could this be part of the problem? Will it me easier for me to adjust to varifocals in a few years time?

Is the pantascopic tilt Iíve described unusual and could this be a problem? I fear I will need to have such a large tilt on every pair of glasses I buy in future (to avoid eyestrain) and this is not possible on many frames (for fear of breaking them)? Is it possible to get used to a lesser tilt in time?

Iíd be extremely grateful for any advice or shared experiences that you have.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
KeelaC
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Problems with new progressive glasses - 6 weeks now

The glasses should be measured properly so that any tilt is unnecessary.

Now, this is just my opinion and maybe it's wrong, but you never see reading glasses any stronger than about -3.75, so I'd say -1 is not such a small magnification on that scale.

I had lineless bifocals once and couldn't get used to them. I went back to the lined ones and knew exactly where I was looking. Perhaps that is what you will have to do, with three lines?

Old 11-08-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
TopGeek
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

I had exactly the same problem when I first went to progressives because the 'sweet spot' was microscopic. I found that I was constantly searching for the right viewing position. After a few weeks of hell, I went back to the optician who was very understanding and gave me a 'special deal' to upgrade to the substantially more expensive 'super progressives'. The result was fabulous and I am now hooked on these lenses that cost around Ä600 ($480) the pair (without frames).

Old 11-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
smaque
(male)

smaque HB User

Thank you both for your kind and helpful replies.

Keela C - when you say they should be measured properly, do you think that they are, or that I should get them checked again to see that they are?

Brianmf - any idea what make of lenses you have? Zeiss, perhaps.

I shall go back to my optician in next few days, and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Old 11-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
KeelaC
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

I'm not saying the measurements are wrong, but mistakes can happen.
And, if you don't wear your specs exactly where they are supposed to be (eg. they tend to slide a bit on your nose, or sit higher on one side, etc.) that could cause a problem. If the frames were adjusted to any degree after you got them, perhaps that could throw things out a bit too.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:50 AM   #6
smaque
(male)

smaque HB User

We've decided to give up and my optician has made up some single vision lenses for now, with a view to trying again in a year or two probably with glasses that have less potential problems, such as distortion. I think think presciption may have been out too, I don't know. Not ideal, but it is SUCH a relief not to be wearing these glasses - I feel like a normal person again .

Would be interested if any other readers have had similar problems.

Thanks

Closed Thread