It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Cosopt Generic

FYI, there is now a generic for Cosopt that was approved as of 11/1/08. The generic is Dorzolamide-Timolol. My insurance company wasted no time dispensing the generic and it isn't that much cheaper that Cosopt. This always scares me because the FDA is always much to eager to approve drugs with minimal data and then a year or two later they pull it off the shelves. One might think the FDA is run by the pharmaceutical companies, silly me for thinking that. A few years ago my MD told me I had, had, to take this statin medication. I complies and ended up with perpherial neuropathy and just recently it was discovered that the medication was useless as a statin. How did the FDA approve that drug? How many people have been killed or injured cause by a FDA oversight? Now they want me to take a brand new generic and use it in my eye. What might the oversight be this time, blindness?
I am not against generic medications but I do think that there should be more research done before the FDA uses people as crash test dummies.
If you are using Cosopt watch out for the generic switch.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
Re: Cosopt Generic

I use cosopt also and like you said they don't waste any time sending you the generic brand. I got it this week. I was told from Medco that I can request a prescription from my doctor for cosopt only so that's exactly what I am going to do when I go see him next week. I'm a little leary of generic brands myself, even though they say they are "the same". I would rather pay a little more and get the real deal. I will have to check with my insurance company to make sure they will pay for the cosopt, instead of the generic as long as I pay the difference. So nice that they give you a choice, isn't it?

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 11-13-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User
Re: Cosopt Generic

Sharon,
I don't mind trying a generic if it has been around for a while, and if I risk a headache or stomach upset I still don't mind trying a new generic. When it comes to my eyesight I feel entirely different. I should have mentioned this too in my original post; I brought this to the attention of my Ophthalmologist who failed to give me an answer about the generic substitute and was given a new prescription for Cosopt, "Do Not Substitute." From that I assume that when questioned if I should risk my eyesight on a generic my doctor decided to take the safe route and stay with the brand drug.

Closed Thread