It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
(female)

wildflowers HB User
Question I cannot use eye drops, what to do?

Hi everyone I recently was diagnosed with mild eye infection, I was put on Tobradex, a combination of antibiotic and cortizone. My eye continued to get worse instead of better, called doc's office, stopped the medication, got a new prescription minus the cortizone, just the antibiotic. My eye continued to be burny, itchy, much discomfort. I am allergic to sulfa so many other meds that I decided to look on the other ingredients in the solution. Sodium sulfate, sulfuric acid is in the solution, I am thinking that may be the problem. What is one to do when eye drops may not be a solution for eye infections. If you would be so kind to share any information or experience I would be very grateful. Blessings!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
(male)

mike1961 HB User
Re: I cannot use eye drops, what to do?

When does the burning, itching and discomfort feel the worst (when you awaken, in the evening, etc)?

Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Hi Mike Thank you for your response, deeply appreciate it. The burny, itchy and discomfort seems to be always there, it got worse with eye drops. I initially thought it was from lack of sleep , I had back surgery and wasn't sleeping hardly at all at first. I also have a prescription for glasses but because of surgery wasn't able to go get them. I of course was using these scenerios to rationalize my eye discomfort. However, Mike my concern is, they start prescribing you very potent eye medication without any cultures. How do they know I have a mild bacterial infection? I am very medication sensitive and have had a lot of nasty side effects, I am not very trustworthy of doc's and there prescriptions. I love my pharmacist!!!!!!!! Tobramycin eye drops has very serious side effects, and so does some of the others. I am not so sure folks understand just how serious eye drops can be, they just pop those drops in there eyes without to much research. I am now off the eye drops and they want me to reschedule with the doc. It's amazing I never paid to much attention to my eyes before this happened, I have a new appreciation for the gift of my eyesight. Blessings!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Many eye drops have a preservative in them. I personally cannot use drops with a preservative.

Ask your doctor if that may be your problem. Perhaps there are preservative-free meds that will work for you.

You also may be suffering from dry eyes too. I have had good luck with Restasis, Systane, Refresh Celluvisc, Refresh Plus that come in individual vials, no preservatives. Restasis is a prescription and the others are over the counter.

Scrubbing eyelids with Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo helps to remove bacteria from edge of lids (dilute shampoo in little water). With eyes closed I use a cotton cosmetic pad (one for each eye to pevent cross contamination) and scrub well the edges where oil glands are, lash line then rinse well.

Scrubbing eyelids may not be the answer to the infection but it sure helps to keep bacteria reduced.

Some eye infections are difficult to clear, must be diligent in scrubbing and treating.

Last edited by Misty800; 11-18-2008 at 08:23 AM.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank You Misty I do believe the preservatives are a factor, I will ask the doc for a script minus the preservatives, also I have tinnitus and just found out that Tobramycin eye drops in the family of aminoglycosides meds can make your tinnitus alot worse and cause loss of hearing. That is really a "wake up call" for me, I never checked on ototoxicity, I am so glad I found it out. The scrubbing of the eyelids makes so much sense to me, why doesn't anyone at the doc's office tell you this, very much obliged to you. You are right I never even considered dry eyes, wouldn't it be something to be diagnosed with a bacteria infection and end up really having dry eyes, how does one distingquish the difference between them without tests. I so hate to take antibiotics or any kind of meds without "proof" of why? they are prescribing them. It doesn't seem to be asking so much, considering how costly health care is right now. Thank you Misty, you have been great. Blessings!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
(male)

mike1961 HB User

I was about to suggest the exact same thing as Misty. You can find the preservative free Refresh tears (or possibly other brands) at Costco (something like 80 in a pack or so). Also, the dry eye boards here might be very informative. With regards to medicine drops such as Tobradex or other antibiotic/steroid drops they are OK under a doctor's prescription but should be used for a limited time period. The artificial tears can be used indefinitely as you cannot overdose on them. I have used them for years in the morning for Corneal Erosion and it has not effected my tear production at all. Other things to look at which might have benefits (at least for some) are flaxseed oils, humidifiers, over the counter nightly eye ointments, Muro 128, etc. Another thing, if you spend a lot of time in front of a computer monitor then it may be a good idea to turn the brightness down. Keep researching and hopefully you will find a solution. I think perhaps a second opinion with another ophthalmologist might be beneficial - also, make sure your eye pressure is normal. Although, it does sound like "dry eye syndrome" I would be sure to rule everything else out especially something serious like high eye pressure.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Mike

Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
(female)

wildflowers HB User

Thank you, ThankYou Thank You, went to the doc's and I do have dry eyes, I was so informative after all of your wonderful info that I wasn't afraid. Mike they checked my eye pressure and it was good, numbed my eye to check if my cornea was scratched, it was o.k. used some kind of dye but I forgot what the doc used it for. Gave me samples of Refresh, told me to clean my eyes with baby shampoo, just like misty said, I feel so fortunate to have you all. I don't know what else I will learn on the way but I will check out the board on dry eyes. The nurse also mentioned before I saw the doc that I will have a tendency to have a sore throat and chest conjestion. Well, at least I am diagnosed and you were the ones who did it. The humidifier also great suggestion, thank you all so very much and many blessings and good health to you and your familes, happy thanksgiving!

Closed Thread