It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
Will using Restasis too long make dry eye getting worse?

I have been having dry eye for about 3 years, The Ophthalmology doctor whom I recently saw let me use Restasis and Optive for about 10 months. Actually I have been using Restasis in past 3 years and each year for at least 6- 8 months.

Recent I feel pretty uncomfortable ( pain, itch, some time very dry but sometime tearing). the doctor still let me use some drops.
Does any one find long-term using Restasis will make dry eye getting worse?

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Will using Restasis too long make dry eye getting worse?

I have been using Restasis for at least 2 years daily and see no problem with eyes being more dry. Eyes are better now than in the past, use less eye drops.

Restasis does not work for everyone.

You may have an infection in the oil glands on edge of eyelids.

Try cleansing eyelids using Johnson Baby Shampoo diluted in water to scrub edges of eyelids with eyes closed. Rinse well. I use a cotton cosmetic pad and use a clean one for each eye to prevent cross-contamination. Do this night and morning. My eye doctor told me to do this.

I use Restasis after scrubbing eyelids morning and night. Doctor said I could use 2 drops in each eye from the same vial for the night and morning. I close the vial, wrap in a Kleenex and store in a container until next use.

During the day I use Systane and at bedtime 5 minutes after using Restasis I use Refresh Celluvisc and then Refresh PM ointment.

Systane usually lasts 3-4 hrs and then need to use again. While using the computer I use Refresh Plus off and on since eyes dry out due to not blinking as often as needed.

Last edited by Misty800; 11-22-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Misty800,
Thank you for sending to me this message, now I will continue using Restasis and plus Optive or Systane, I will try ointment at bedtime.
About infection, I asked my Ophthalmology at Nov 7 and the answer was no and no need to use anti-infection eye drop.
I donít know if you used Optive before ? I donít know Refresh Celluyisc and think maybe it is a lubricant Eye Drops also.if yes, you are using two kinds
of lubricant drops at same time.

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Now, I still have this question and like to know if anyone here have been using
Restasis for many years without problem ? My eye is better now, I am going to stop using it for a whole and to see what happen.

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

I was given Restasis for mildly dry eyes following eye surgery. I'm not sure that it helped much, but I continued using it (with my ophthalmologist's approval) for 2 years. I stopped using it a few months ago, with no bad effects.

Closed Thread