It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
(female)

si50 HB User
swollen red itchy eyelid (ONE eye only)

Hi,
for the last year or so I have had a strange problem with my left eyelid - the crease part of the upper lid swells up (I can see a "pocket" swollen with fluid -that's the only way I can describe it) so that it reaches all the way to my upper lashes (normally the whole part of the upper eyelid over the eyeball is visible). In a day the part that was swollen becomes reddish right above the crease and itches, in the next two-three days it becomes scaley and dry. The whole thing happens ONLY on the left eyelid, never on the right one. I saw an ophtalmologist a year ago, he said I was allergic to eye cream, should use Cetaphil instead, put cortisone ointment and prescribed Patanol drops. I followed the directions, the problem subsided, and after several weeks came back, again on the left only. In the meantime, I stayed away from any eye creams and only used Cetaphil or nothing at all. And it's been like this, off an on all the time. I did not use any eye make up at the time. Several months ago I started using make up again, had no problems, and then out of the blue, again, my left eyelid got swollen, then red, then itchy and then scaley. The skin on my eyelid is so stretched now that even when it's not swollen, it droops over my eyelashes. I went to see an ophtalmologist again recently, but this time I was told to sleep on my back, lol. Was he a real doctor or what???? It's a shame how some doctors are, you feel like you're just wasting time and money.

I started looking for solutions online, came across this board and started following the advice I found - wash my eyelids with SteriLid by TheraTears and put Eucerin ointment. It seemed to help at first, I was thrilled for a week, and then again, after five days of my therapy, last Saturday I woke up with the left eyelid swollen, the part right above the crease reddish and itchy, same on Sunday, and today, Monday, it's still itchy and scaley. I am also feeling pressure on my left eyeball from the top, like coming right from the part where the eyelid becomes red. Please, someone help!!!! I am going crazy with this. It seems putting away eye creams does nothing at all - I get this thing with no cream at all. HELP!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: swollen red itchy eyelid (ONE eye only)

Sounds to me like you have an infection, a stye or chalazion. If a stye or chalazion keeps coming back it can be surgically removed. Hopefully there's a responsible eye doctor somewhere on Staten Island - don't go back to that nitwit, whatever you do! Good luck . . . I hope you get it all taken care of before the holidays!!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

It sounds like you are not wearing eye shadow, but if you do, and use anything that has red or pink in the color, you can be allergic to it. I used some with pink in it and the eyelid did the same thing as yours, so don't use pink in eyeshadows.

Sunny

Old 12-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

This certainly sounds like an allergic reaction to something, most likely an item in your makeup. There are though a few other things that could cause it such as your shampoo or a dermatological condition resulting in dandruff in that eyebrow/eyelid. The only other thing I can think of would be, have you ever used a steroidal cream or ointment on that eyelid? That can result in thinning and sensitivity of the delicate eyelid skin.
It might anyway be wise to see a dermatologist as it is not unusual to develop eczema on one eyelid.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
(female)

si50 HB User

Thanks so much for all the replies and suggestions.

When I get this thing on my eyelid, I do put a very thin layer of cortisone ointment on the red spot, do it for maybe two days and stop when the itchiness goes away. I didn't realize it could result in thinning of the skin on the eyelid.... but I did know that it's not good to use too much of anything containing steroids. I even asked the first ophtalmologist I saw about this problem if he was sure it was OK to put cortisone on my eyelid, and he said "why not? it's not doing anything, just lying there".

I don't think this is an allergic reaction to makeup because I got it repeatedly during long periods when I did not use any makeup at all, and the last bout of it was after two weeks of no makeup at all, as well as no eye cream or serum.

I guess I will have to see a dermatologist after all, I am just afraid it will be another disappointment. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

The main problem with cortisone cream/ointment is that it needs to be used with great care, under medical supervision and for a limited period of time because of its propensity to thin the skin. It is generally only used to clear dermatitis or eczema after which non-steroid products are used to stabilise the condition.
If steroid creams are used for too long, they can indeed cause more irritation than the condition they were being used to treat.
It does sound like you need to see a dermatologist and I feel sure you will get a satisfactory solution.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
(female)

BigDurr345 HB User

I have the same problem right now. It starts off as an itch in my eyelid and thats when i know its happening again. The next day ill feel a little bump that hurts along with more itching, and then after that it starts to swell. My whole eyelid gets so swollen after 3-4 days its disgusting and hurts. I have been getting them im my left eye for years. usually i get one to two every 6 months. When i go to the doctor he tells me its a steye and gives me anibiotics, like amoxicillion. It works,....but after months it comes back always in my left eyelid. Im starting to think that my left eye might be really sensitive to mascara or something? I dont know. Im really getting annyoed with getting them, it effects my life

Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
(female)

si50 HB User

I think your problem is different and (from my research so far) it does sound like a stye, although I always thought a stye forms around eyelashes. I had one a couple of times when I was a kid, always on the lower eyelash line, and I remember the itching, swelling and redness. I never got treated for it, my mother told me to rub it with her gold wedding ring and surprisingly it always helped. I guess it was the temperature rise caused by the friction that made the stye go away, or maybe gold itself does have some mysterious qualities, I don't know.

The part of my eyelid that gets reddish does not become hard, but rather stretched and swollen, right above the crease, sometimes it looks like there's a little pocket filled with fluid hanging all the way to the upper eyelashes. It seems the spot gets more and more defined so even when it's not red and itchy, you can still tell that there's something not quite normal over there. I hate the way my left eye looks now because even when this thing is gone, my eye looks 20 years older than it used to. Makeup makes it look better but then I am afraid to put any so as not to aggravate the condition.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
(female)

dmt74 HB User

It has been a while since you posted the comments about your eyelid... have you found the answer? Your problem is the EXACT same thing I have and it has been driving me crazy for the past 6 months. I have been searching and searching the internet for answers but can't seem to find anything, I am so frustrated! Just like you it is my left eyelid... it starts to itch then the itch turns to itching and burning then the area starts to puff up a little (like its filled with a little water). After a day or two of that nonsence the area starts to dry up and flake/peel.... then it starts all over again. I can not take this anymore, my left eye looks 10 years older than my right! Through researching this I have found a few others who experience this same problem with their left eye but no one seems to have the answer. Do you still have this problem or have you found the answer? Going CRAZY :-(

Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
(female)

si50 HB User

I was going crazy with this thing, I feel like I could write a book by now.

I ended up seeing an allergist. She said I had atopic dermatitis, or eczema. I told her I thought it was allergic contact dermatitis and asked for a patch test. She said it might as well be ACD but to her it looked like AD. Even if it is what she thinks, it may be exacerbated by an allergy to a cosmetic ingredient, usually a preservative. I have done a LOT of internet research on the subject but never suspected I had an eczema. I found some pictures that look a lot like what I had. Eventually both my eyes were affected. Here's a link to the picture gallery: http://www.dermnet.com/thumbnailIndex.cfm?moduleID=2&moduleGrou pID=26&groupIndex=0&numcols=0
Just copy and paste it into a new browser window. My eyelids were not as bad as the ones pictured but I was afraid that maybe they were going that way.

The funny thing (if there is anything funny about this disease) is that when I was in Poland over Christmas and New Year's, three weeks altogether, my eyelids went back to normal within a few days. I wore makeup, once for 24 hrs straight and had no irritation whatsoever. When I came back, the dermatitis came back with a vengeance the day after my return, 18 hrs after I got home to be exact. I told the doctor about it, and she said her mother experienced the same thing every time she came here from overseas.

My problem seemed to have gone away after two to three weeks of applying the ointments prescribed by the allergist I saw back in February (a steroid and then protopic). It seems to come back every now and then but in a very mild form and usually one-two applications of the medication take care ot it. I now wear my regular makeup every day and feel like an attractive, happy woman again. There seems to be no correlation between the skin or hair care I use as I use the same stuff I suspected of causing the problem before and nothing happens. But even though all has been good for the last few months, I still beware of the return of the beast - it was so frustrating that I feel like I went through hell.

Good luck to everyone in the search for a cure that will work for you. It's been almost 8 months now since my eyelids got back to normal but still, every time I feel a little itch, I get scared.

The Following User Says Thank You to si50 For This Useful Post:
nidttbaf (06-07-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
(female)

MS Maggie HB User

I have been dealing with this for about 3 years now. The exact same thing. It's my right eye. I've always thought it was a combination of elements / things that triggered it but have never really been able to prevent it from happening. I've keep a log of each time that it happened... travel / change of atmosphere, allergies, didn't wash my make up before bed, cried, waxed my eyebrows, didn't take my contacts off before bed, super stressed and had allergies, cried and had make up/mascara on... all sorts of variations. Sometimes the swelling has been immense and the entire side of my face looked and felt like a punching bag. Your description of the "stages" it goes through was exact. I went online just now because I woke up with my "bulbus-eye" (that's what I call it, ha!) and desperately hoping I could find some sort of answer this time, i came across your original post. Praying that you might have found the solution / magic pill that will return my life to normal, I immediately registered and well ... here i am. whew!

So - your doc believes it's eczema and the creams work? I mean... if that's the answer to three years of angst and frustration over this, i may have to pay a visit to the dozens of doctors I've seen and begged for help!! I'm just in complete disbelief that NOT ONE of them even suggested that! I work in PR, in the entertainment industry, and one of my biggest fears has been waking up on the day of a major event with the "bulbus-eye" so - i've seen every doctor, allergist, dermatologist, opthalmologist, internist... every "IST" in Los Angeles and well - NOTHING worked. Although, I did find out that I'm severely allergic to cats and eucalyptus - good to know, obviously but ... WHAT ABOUT MY EYE?! Haha.
Anyway - thank you! Thank you for posting and sharing. Really.
Now question - what creams did your Doc prescribe??

All the best & Thanks Again!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #12
(female)

nidttbaf HB User

I have the exact same problem! I initially thought it was an allergic reaction, but will now get to my doctor ASAP. It's been driving me crazy and it's only been a few days. I hope you are still doing well. Thanks for getting the word out.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
(male)

JackCarver HB User

Hey.. you guys/girls are not alone. I have a similar condition that hasn't changed (at least for good) for the last 6 years, recently it became slightly worse. In my case, it is only my right eyebrow that is swollen, it never gets itchy or red or anything, but it just won't dont go away! i tried lots of remedies for "puffy eyes" like applying ice and cucumber, drinking lots of water, less salt intake, teabags, getting good sleep etc.. and nothing works even for a day. I don't think an allergy might be a possibility since my diet has been the same forever and i've lived in my whole life in my house. I dont apply any kind of topicals except for the ones i used to treat the condition itself.

I have some acne and extremely oily skin, which i started to get 7 years ago.
Might be subcutaneous sebum accomulation? is that even possible? i don't know what to think anymore.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
(female)

nidttbaf HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCarver View Post
Hey.. you guys/girls are not alone. I have a similar condition that hasn't changed (at least for good) for the last 6 years, recently it became slightly worse. In my case, it is only my right eyebrow that is swollen, it never gets itchy or red or anything, but it just won't dont go away! i tried lots of remedies for "puffy eyes" like applying ice and cucumber, drinking lots of water, less salt intake, teabags, getting good sleep etc.. and nothing works even for a day. I don't think an allergy might be a possibility since my diet has been the same forever and i've lived in my whole life in my house. I dont apply any kind of topicals except for the ones i used to treat the condition itself.

I have some acne and extremely oily skin, which i started to get 7 years ago.
Might be subcutaneous sebum accomulation? is that even possible? i don't know what to think anymore.
I saw the doctor last week - he initially thought it was a bug bite but said it was probably eczema as he took a closer look. Treated it with steroids and antibiotic and topical cortisone creme. Only slightly swollen a week later and still a little red. I am hoping I don't have a reoccurrence, but listening to what everyone else is saying, I'm guessing I will.
Have you seen a doctor for your eyebrow? Try a little cortisone creme on it and see if that helps.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #15
(male)

JackCarver HB User

Sorry to hear that. Yes, i've seen some doctors. One said it was a temporary allergy and i should leave it alone, because at the time it was really hard to notice it and it didn't botter me at all. The others all said similar things except one prescribed me an antihistamine drug and a steroid injection for general inflammation, that did absolutely nothing because it wasn't, and still is not inflammed. But now it has gotten very noticeable and that's why i am here.

Do i need a prescription to buy cortisone creams? i'd be very glad to see it work for at least a day!

Closed Thread