It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

Strange Vision Problem

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
mesty
(male)

mesty HB User
Strange Vision Problem

Hi,

Right I've had this problem for years. It's quite strange, I've looked all over the net but couldn't find anything. The best way I can describe it is, looking through binoculars backwards. I can feel when this is about to start and eventually my whole vision goes small. If i also close my eyes everything feels really small too, if that makes any sense.

Whenever this happens I normally just walk around for a bit in the house and my vision eventually goes back to normal (can last around 30mins). When this first happened it was terrifying but now I've learn to deal with it. A few months ago this actually happened when I was driving, luckily my girlfriend was in the car and she was able to drive the rest of the way. Now I've spoken to my GP about this on quite few occasions and they basically don't have a clue what it is.

Does anyone know anything about this condition

Thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
KeelaC
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Strange Vision Problem

You're not alone; there have been other posters on this forum with the same problem. Don't believe anybody knew what it was though. You can try the search function.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
AuntieLeela
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

There's a neurological condition called micropsia. It's often associated with migraine, with other "perceptual distortion" symptoms it's called Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. AIWS is also common in temporal lobe epilepsy.

I had basilar artery migraine as a teenager, now I have what's called Ocular Migraine. There's no headache but weird visual, perceptual stuff happens. Flashes of light, suddenly the other side of the room seems far away or I look down and my arms and legs look freakishly long. It's very much like walking around with binoculars on backwards. There's no treatment for it, it's considered harmless, although some studies have shown people with OM have a higher incidence of stroke.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
KeelaC
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

That was very interesting; you've finally put a name to this condition. Looking it up, I found that it can be caused either by a neurological condition, or an eye condition (swelling of the cornea, eg.), although neurological is more common.

There is a misconception about what an optical migraine is. Many doctors refer to a migraine aura, without headache, as an optical migraine. This is not correct. I got this information from the eye institute at the Cleveland Clinic.
The majority of migraines take place in the brain and often have a visual component which affects both eyes. In rare cases, the nerve and blood vessel changes actually do take place inside the eyeball. This affects one eye only and is relatively uncommon, compared to the classic sort of migraine.
This unilateral, intraocular event is a true ocular migraine. If I remember correctly, there is a slightly higher chance of damage with this sort of migraine than the neurological kind.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #5
mesty
(male)

mesty HB User

Thankyou so much. I feel so much better now I know exactly what it is. I spoke to my neurologist the other day about this and he basically said It's a type of migraine. It's really hard to explain it to other people, I've tried to tell me girlfriend about it but she thinks I'm just crackers haha.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
KeelaC
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Migraines are peculiar things. What goes on in the brain when one starts is similar to what happens with epilepsy, i.e., a cascading firing of neurons. A lot of weird symptoms can be put down to migraine, but people generally think of it as just a bad headache. A couple years ago, I lost my short-term memory for half a day. I was taken to the ER where they tested for stroke. Since they couldn't find anything wrong, they put that down to migraine too.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
bostonH
(male)

bostonH HB User

I've had this happen to me before... haven't thought much of it. I've noticed it happens after I've been focusing close for a long time. It's like my brain is trying to correct things. Anyway I never thought it was a big deal and it has never given me any problems.

Closed Thread