It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board

Disorientation

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Randy Moon
(male)

Randy Moon HB User
Disorientation

Greetings. I am new to the site. Three years ago I had catract surgery in both eyes. Pre and post surgery I have worn progressive glasses. Problem is that after the surgery I experience a constant sense of 'disorientation' - not vertigo or dizziness - just a sensation of 'being out of it'. The sensation is very bad when I enter a grocery store, department store, etc.. otherwise it is just 'there'. Naturally I have been back to my opthamologist several times, had the Rx checked, and all appears normal - yet this persistent disorientation consumes me and is affecting my lifestyle. I have had recent fasting bloodwork done and it is all within normal ranges. Any thoughts as to what may be going on would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
KeelaC
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Disorientation

I'm not going to be of much use, but I do know what you mean. I experienced the same thing for many months when I was around 20, or so. Entering a department store was the worst. It's my opinion that it is psychological and not physical. What you can do about it, I can't say. Mine just went away.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Randy Moon
(male)

Randy Moon HB User

Thanks for your reply. I think you're very correct....I think the 'busyness' of a bustling store over-stimulates the eye to brain path. I experience the same feeling in familiar situations as well so that just tends to confirm your thoughts. I sticking with that since, thankgoodness, I have no other symptoms plus my vision is perfect nor am I experiencing headaches, etc.. If this is as bad as it gets, I can live with it. Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
JodieJ
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

Randy, I'm assuming that you never had that sense of disorientation before cataract surgery and have had it continuously since. In that case, it seems less likely to me that the cause is psychological. I'd suggest that you see an experienced, board-certified ophthalmologist for a second opinion. If s/he finds nothing wrong, then don't worry about it.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
JodieJ
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

Another thought... I'm thinking that over the years you had become accustomed to dimmer vision due to slowly developing cataracts. The cataract surgery suddenly made everything brighter, and the lighting in most department stores magnifies this effect. If this is the source of your problem, I suspect that with time you will become accustomed to your new (and improved) vision.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Randy Moon
(male)

Randy Moon HB User

JodieJ..thanks so much for your response. I've been to my opthamologist several times with this concern. She recommended I see a Neuro Opthamologist. He found no problems other than the the focal center of one of my glass lenses was WAY off. Correcting that made little difference. Your reference to everything being much brighter and clearer does make sense as that is most certainly the case. Funny thing...once I have started to get some feedback on this board, the less I am noticing the disorientation. Hmmmmm, what think ye??

Old 12-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
KeelaC
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

What a bummer having the IOL made incorrectly. Hope you got some money back. Did it have to be corrected with glasses?

Closed Thread