It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
(male)

peter1979 HB User
vitrectomy with silicone fill. My story so far.....

About a year or so ago i started to get strobing and floaters in my left eye. After being referred to the Eye hospital by my local opticians i was told that i had scarring to the back of my eye which they monitored for a few months. It seemed to be fairly stable, but a couple of months ago it got worse and i began to lose peripheral vision.
I returned to the hospital and was told that my retina was becoming detached and torn and that without surgery i would be blind within a few months. Obviously this was a worry and i was admitted for a retinal surgery with vitrectomy and silicone fill on dec 4th. I was pretty nervous, firstly because this had come along quite fast and secondly because the state in which my retina had become the surgeons couldnt say whether the surgery would be successful. I didnt really have much choice, either sit and wait to go blind or take some action. The doctors couldnt understand why my eye had gotten this way to start with, im fit, healthy and young (29).
I had my surgery at Bristol Eye hospital, where they have a very good reputation, which helped to ease some of the nerves.

Its been 2 weeks since my operation and progress is a bit slow at the beginning. Immediately after my operation i was in a bit of pain, but nothing some pain killers didnt sort out. I then had ten days of posturing which was mind numbingly boring. 2 lots of 4 eye drops a day, which is no problem.
The silicone in my eye means my vision is like what it is after 10 pints of cider, without the fun. To begin with my eye looked like a piece of mince meat, then it cleared a bit and now i just look like the terminator. Bruising around the eye is beginning to disappear now.

So this is me so far, i have to go back in 3-6 months to get the silicone taken out and the eye fluid replaced. I have an appointment monday to see how the eye is recovering post-op. I was pretty down in the dumps for a while, it isnt too enjoyable being bed bound face down in a pillow for 10 days, but it could have been worse.

I would like to hear from other people who have had this kind of surgery, especially about recovery times. I was thinking of going back to work tomorrow but my first venture out of the house yesterday made me realise that i hadnt quite adjusted to being blurry eyed, plus i work in a public facing role.
I would also like to hear from people who have had the silicone fill removed and what their recovery was like then. Was it much like the first operation. How is the vision? Are cataracts generally guaranteed?

Also i am offering advice and support to anyone who is about to go through the same experience as me. I was very nervous prior to my operation and i know you will be too. So i would be more than happy to help with any support i can give on here.

Peter

The following user gives a hug of support to peter1979:
Eagle (11-04-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
(female)

mollieh HB User
Re: vitrectomy with silicone fill. My story so far.....

My retina detached and I had a gas bubble that will disappear in 8 weeks. I was face down for a month, then had my head down for 2 weeks. the bubble is still there (7 weeks) but I can lift up my head, but no walking, driving, exercise, lifting. So far, so good. My advise, Do whatever the doctor says. There is nothing more valuable than your vision. It will get better.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Peter, I empathise with your situation as it is inded very scary the first time you go for eye surgery. It is though, quite amazing what can be done to your eyes virtually pain free. It is also rather bewildering to find that the recovery process is slow and leaves you wondering if you will ever see properly again. In that respect, let me assure you that things will get a lot better than they are right now.
I have had two vitrectomies on the same eye in the last two years. The first was to snip a membrane that was pulling on the retina; the second was to remove a membrane that had grown across the surface of the retina from the incomplete removal of the first membrane. The first operation was simple and without any bubble whereas the second was more complicated, included laser spot welding to prevent retinal detachment and also involved a gas bubble that took two weeks to disperse.
I shared a room with a guy who had a similar operation to yours (for detached retina) and he had the silicone oil and face-down posturing for two weeks after the operation.
The vision in that eye will remain distorted until the silicone oil is removed and is replaced with a balanced saline solution. When you go back for the exchange procedure, they will certainly check the cataract status for yes, it is 90% guaranteed that a cataract will form within a year. In a sense, that is a good thing because cataract removal will probably include the fitting of an intra-occular lens (IOL). That will make the sight in that eye as good as possible.
The optical team should keep you informed about this but don't hesitate to ask them if you have any additional questions.
Good luck with the eventual outcome.

Last edited by TopGeek; 04-11-2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: typo

Old 04-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
(male)

peter1979 HB User

Thank you for the replies, i would just like to update my progress.

It has been a long time since i wrote my first message and a lot has happened. 7 months after my first operation i returned to hospital to have the silicone removed, scar tissue cleaned up and have the correct fluid put back in my eye. I was nervous again, but this time the operation was only about 3 hours, and according to my surgeon, it was easy compared the first. Also there would be no laying flat on my front for 2 weeks post operation!
The operation went smoothly, and although i had some discomfort for a few days afterwards, pain killers sorted this out.
I was told that my eye had healed much better than expected, and almost immediately after my operation my vision was very good.
I returned to the hosptal for about the following 6 months, on a monthly basis for check up's. Each time i returned I was told that everything was healing up fine, and i was reminded about how serious my condition was and how amazed the surgeons were that i healed so quickly afterwards.
Last week i had my last routine check up, its been over year since my 2nd operation and my vision is almost perfect. My very near vision is quite bad, up until 12 inches from my face, but i am happy that i can see at all!!

I have to give credit to the surgeons at bristol eye hospital, they really are very talented, empathetic and friendly. I felt very safe in their hands and although it has been a long 2 years, i feel now as if i am back to normal!

Peter

Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

That's good news Peter. It's hardly surprising that your close-up vision is not so good because you presumably now have an IOL which can only focus at distance. Your close-up acuity could be corrected with reading glasses or a progressive lens for that eye.

Last edited by TopGeek; 04-12-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
(male)

parkap HB User

Peter my 23 yr old son just had the silicon oil with buckle put in. I am worried about re detachment - how soon does one know when the retina has detached - he is now normal with head up and i worry about him so much. HI eye is still not opening fully - is still blood shot red
He is at the threshold of a great career and this time off from work is difficult . He is afraid they will consider him a liability and fire him.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
(male)

peter1979 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkap View Post
Peter my 23 yr old son just had the silicon oil with buckle put in. I am worried about re detachment - how soon does one know when the retina has detached - he is now normal with head up and i worry about him so much. HI eye is still not opening fully - is still blood shot red
He is at the threshold of a great career and this time off from work is difficult . He is afraid they will consider him a liability and fire him.

In answer to your questions,

If he suffers from a detachment then he will know straight away as his vision will go very blurry and probably it will feel a bit uncomfortable. I am assuming he has just had his first operation which is where he gets the silicon in, and has not yet had the 2nd op to remove the oil and put the other stuff back in?
If this is so then he will not get a detachment at this stage, as his retina is basically being supported by the oil and buckle (i didnt have a buckle in mine).
You would be at risk of detachment after the 2nd op, but this is something you really shouldnt dwell on at this stage.
His eye will be badly bloodshot and bruised for the first few weeks. It took me 3 weeks before I felt comfortable fully opening my eye, plus I had red eye for the entire 6 months I had the oil in. My eye became used to the oil after 2 months and my vision with the oil in became pretty good, although a little fuzzy. I would say that there is no way this operation would impact any career prospects, although he may not feel very optimistic right now with a sore eye, poor vision and pain, it will clear up and after the 2nd operation he should get very good vision back. My vision now is just as good as before except for up close. Unless he is planning a career in eye modelling or as a fighter pilot then its not going to be an impact. You cant be fired for having an eye operation like this, it would be discrimination and there are laws against it. His company will know this.
I hope this helps, if there are any other questions then let me know.
Pete

Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
(male)

parkap HB User

Peter god bless u for your prompt reply
The thing is that the doc had to also remove his lens which had cataract she said she has n ot put in the ocular lens yet.
I don't know why but maybe coz of that his eye sees fuzzy basically his eye was totally dominated by rt eye and he did nt notice when his vision changed. Someone saw the vision acuity and noticed in a prescription.
If detachment occurs after removal of oil why do they remove it at all?
P

Old 01-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
(female)

mollieh HB User

I had to lie face down for 8 weeks. If your eye is still cloudy, are you sure you have followed the doctors' instructions exactly? If you do not feel it is what you expected, you may want to contact the surgeon.

It does take time and it can be depressing. Don't go back to work before you are able. It takes time to adjust.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
(male)

parkap HB User

hi Peter
U might be able to help me
I had sicicon oil put in - and the doc removed my lens due to catatrect but has not put in a lens. Any idea why and after how long will the lens be put in.
parkap

Closed Thread