It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

mmoore0 HB User
Question seeing my own retina in my right eye's vision

Has anyone had this happen? I am seeing in the centre of my field of vision in my right eye the exact image of my retina - circular amber colour with a small bright spot inside the circle but off centre.

I would LOVE to hear from someone with the EXACT same SHAPE of vision problem. I have heard from many with dimness or shapes but no one has said they have a perfect central circle that looks like an eclipse of the moon or the exact image of a retina.

A bit more info...The circle has a dark ring around it and there is often a light halo around the inside of the dark circle and when light is pointed in my eye the light halo goes outside the circle as well. When I squint the circle becomes a light neon purple. I have had this for 6 days now and the only change is that when I close my eyes the circle sometimes pulses in and out of a bright spot starting from the pin point of light to be as large as the circle and then back to very dark circle.

I can see through the circle but it definitely dims and slightly distorts where it is in my vision.

THANKS for any input!
Melanie (39yrs, female)

Old 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: seeing my own retina in my right eye's vision

Any abrupt, or unusual change in vision, such as you describe, should be brought to the immediate attention of an eye doctor.

The eyes are "the windows into your soul", but also reflect many other health issues, before they are apparant in your body.

In my case, malignant hypertension showed up showed up in my eyes, with strokes on my retina's...later followed by 4 strokes in my brain. My eye doctor keeps close watch on my eyes now, along with the other doctors who treat me.

I'm not suggesting the same for you, just that you shouldn't take changes in vision lightly.

I just paid cash for an eye exam for a friend, and it was $45.00...well worth it! I hope you make an appointment today. Best to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
(female)

mmoore0 HB User

Hi "writeleft",

Thanks for your reply. These strokes on your retinas ... what did it look like when it happened? Was it like seeing your retina in front of you or something different?

Yes, I understand how important your eyes and what is happening to them can be to determine other issues, I am just hoping to find someone with the SAME visual symptom.

All the best and I hope your condition is better and managed.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi,

I do not remember actually "seeing" anything like my retina, but I was terribly ill at the time. I hope you can determine what exactly you are seeing, as it sounds awful. In my case time healed alot, and now I see pretty well with glasses. Best to you...

Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
(male)

tadon HB User

Hi mmoore0,

I have been experiencing the same kind of eye problem for the last three days or so. Have you been able to find out why this is happening? My doctor appointment is a long wait.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

How do you guys know what your retina looks like? The retina is the light sensitive zone at the back of the eye and is normally only visible to an ophthalmologist using special instruments to look inside the eye through a dilated pupil.
I suffer from a condition in one eye that creates a scotoma - a blank area that obscures a part of my field of vision in that eye. In total darkness, I can also see an orange glow with black wavy lines. This is very disconcerting if I try to walk around in a room without lights at night because I am never in pitch blackness.
In my case, this effect is caused by macular oedema (swelling of a part of the retina) and that is due to the growth of a membrane that is pulling on the retina.
However, inflammation of the optic nerve can also produce similar effects.
I would suggest that anyone suffering this type of effect should see an ophthalmologist as quickly as possible.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
(male)

Peejay HB User

I think this is happening to me too...

What I'm seeing is a circle in vivid amber/redish/yellowish colours. It's not always there but flashes up every now and then. It's never too bright, just there. It's in my right eye. If I close my left eye and blink open my right eye, whilst looking at a brighter light source like it flashes up for half a second or so.

It's almost like if you look in a bright light and then look away you can still see a 'burn in' from the light.

Any ideas? I hate going to doctors.

Male 32

Last edited by Peejay; 01-21-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
(female)

mmoore0 HB User

Hi Everyone,

First off, to the person who asked HOW we know WHAT a retina looks like - well that is from the wonders of the internet where I found a photo. My description was the best I could do for what I could see. If you look up a photo of the retina area it IS circular and it is amber (light red/brown) in colour and what I see looks LIKE a retina.

Anyway, I can also described the image as if the iris area and dark ring around it was in my field of vision. Picture an eclipse of the sun only light inside with dark ring.

So I finally saw a retinologist and had an angiogram. This showed a leak with a "blister" in the macular region of my retina. The blister seen on the photos of my eye looks EXACTLY like what I am seeing. I am told, like for most people with CSR, that the pressure of the fluid leak plus the way it refracts the light due to the change in the shape of the surface causes the image in one's field of vision.

The injected dye used for the angiogram made me feel a bit nauseated but nothing too extreme.

My scotoma (circular image in my vision) has changed slightly and is now not perfectly circular but had developed a more oval shape with a little more ruffled edges and I was told this happens as the blister fluid lessens and the leak area heals.

Now, I still do not know, even after my appointment, if what I am seeing IS a distorted view of part of my own eye's anatomy or if I am seeing a reflection of the leak / blister area in my eye.

I, like most CSR patients, was told it could take up to 6 months to heal completely. I was also advised to NOT have a laser treatment due to risks and scarring. Later problems may warrant a different solution but for my first and fairly moderate episode I should wait it out and SEE (haha - pun intended) what happens. Now, I may never have perfect vision again in my CSR affected eye (they say some dimness or area of blur may remain) and the CSR may come back in the same eye or in both or in the opposite eye.

Stress reduction, improved sleeping habits, diet modifications, and regulating blood pressure properly were all mentioned for healing and to try and avoid a recurrence.

I wish everyone all the best in their struggle with this condition.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
(female)

mmoore0 HB User

To user, Tadon:

If you have what I now know I do, and so many others do, then it is CSR which, as you may have found out from this group and your own research, is a leak of fluid in an area of your eye.

I first went to an emergency room because it was suggested to me that it COULD be a tear or a detached retina. This is USUALLY indicated by bright light flashes or shimmering in your vision and then a "curtain" comes down into your vision but I have heard other versions so, if you haven't already, GO GET YOUR EYE CHECKED AT EMERG. to be sure you do not have a detached retina. Very critical to get it fixed ASAP. Now three days plus without change probably means it is not but better safe than sorry.

I have heard that various inflammations and infections of the eye can cause these "scotomas" too. So I would call the office where you have an appointment and see about getting on a waiting list or on an emergency list. I did this and an appointment came up for me months earlier than originally booked.

When you do get in for an appointment anywhere including ER - expect to NOT be able to drive yourself home or have to wait for a couple hours before you can drive because they put drops in your eyes that makes your vision very fuzzy and your pupils dilate making lights very extreme.

All the best and I hope you find out what is wrong.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

The fluorescein angiography pictures that you can find on the Internet are not just the retina - they cover the whole inner surface at the back of the eye, the fundus. I confirm that what I see in a darkened room is a bit like that but there is no incoming light to create that image. I conclude therefore that it is a false image generated by the optic nerve due, in my case, to inflammation.
I have asked several opthalmologists to explain it but they either can't or don't want to.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
(female)

mmoore0 HB User

Good point, Top Greek. When I shut my eye I can see the image too and obviously no light is entering my eye. I looked up possible reasons for images without light and found information about Entoptic phenomena of which one can have Phosphenes. These phosphenes seem to be caused by pressure inside the retina (one cause) and are seen as various types of images as a result. This info is from a very brief search and I only referenced Wikipedia which is a user submitted online encyclopedia so not all the info is always completely accurate but it certainly sounds like what is happening.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
(female)

mmoore0 HB User

The site starred out W i k i p e d i a

Old 01-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yes. It's against the rules to post web site addresses. That certainly sounds like the reason for our images.

By the way, I was in your beautiful city a few weeks ago. I particularly enjoyed the cat rescue in the grounds of the parliament on a glorious day.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
(male)

tadon HB User

Thanks MMOORE for all the useful info. Because of some insurance issue, I will be able to see a doctor in about 15 days...not earlier than this. The movement in the circle in the right eye does seem to point to some fluid leakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore0 View Post
To user, Tadon:

If you have what I now know I do, and so many others do, then it is CSR which, as you may have found out from this group and your own research, is a leak of fluid in an area of your eye.

I first went to an emergency room because it was suggested to me that it COULD be a tear or a detached retina. This is USUALLY indicated by bright light flashes or shimmering in your vision and then a "curtain" comes down into your vision but I have heard other versions so, if you haven't already, GO GET YOUR EYE CHECKED AT EMERG. to be sure you do not have a detached retina. Very critical to get it fixed ASAP. Now three days plus without change probably means it is not but better safe than sorry.

I have heard that various inflammations and infections of the eye can cause these "scotomas" too. So I would call the office where you have an appointment and see about getting on a waiting list or on an emergency list. I did this and an appointment came up for me months earlier than originally booked.

When you do get in for an appointment anywhere including ER - expect to NOT be able to drive yourself home or have to wait for a couple hours before you can drive because they put drops in your eyes that makes your vision very fuzzy and your pupils dilate making lights very extreme.

All the best and I hope you find out what is wrong.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #15
(female)

jezzica23 HB User

Sounds like you may have histo spots which are casued by an infectious disease called histoplasmosis, I have the lung version and will be having my eyes checked tomorrow for histospots. Most histo's are treatable, except central vision spots, they can be kept from getting worse but cannot be cured.

Closed Thread