It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
(male)

mrhypo HB User
sudden loss of focus getting worse

I've written about this before so those who want can look for my previous posts.
I admitted myself to eye hospital a couple of weeks ago and was diagnosed with vitreous detachment causing floaters and cobwebs. But nobody had anything to say about the fact that sometimes its as if everything goes out of focus for me, just for a short while, and then goes back to normal. Is this vitreous detachment too? It's really scary and its bee getting worse. It doesn't seem to be caused by reading or working on the pc - i use reading glasses - it just happens. I was washing up today and suddenly it happened.
It's like I have to fight to focus - and then everything does come back into focus, except I can't say my vision is ever perfect.
It's like I'm cross-eyed except I'm not crossing my eyes!
It makes me nauseous - probably through fear rather than anything else. I also notice that I constantly have what feels like the beginnings of a sinus headache. Could it just be a sort of migraine?
I'm wondering if it might be more than an eye problem - lack of blood to the brain or something? It does feel as if my eye-muscles arent quite working probably.
I do have other health problems. I have been diagnosed with low B12 and although I don't have diabetes as such I've been told I have high blood sugar levels so should be monitored.
I was a heavy smoker once but I have stopped. I sometimes drink too much - not to excess but more than is probably good for me at my age (60).
I am not at the moment on any medications although I've been told to watch my cholesterol. Blood pressure is fine.
Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. Everybody I talk to directly about this problem looks at me blankly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: sudden loss of focus getting worse

mrhypo,

Welcome to the boards!

You say your blood pressure is fine...do you monitor it yourself? Or are you relying on an annual measurement. Sometimes changes in eye pressure can bring about changes in vision...meds can change pressures, and I would suspect the reverse of that may be true also (untreated hypertension).

It sounds like there may be a number of things going on but I'd suggest ruling out what you can before jumping to any conclusions.

Bethsheba

Old 01-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
(male)

mrhypo HB User

no my blood pressure is fine I am being monitored for it as I have been known to have high blood pressure and took medications for it. My GP took my pressure only two weeks ago and it was fine.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Sounds like PVD (posterior vitreous detachment) to me (and I have a complicated version of it myself). It is a very common condition for most people over the age of 50. The inner limiting membrane surrounding the vitreous gel inside the eye is gradually separating itself from the retina. To a certain extent, the process causes momentary loss of focus when it pulls on the retina. In a matter of weeks or even months, it should completely separate and no further symptoms occur. In some people (like me) the ILM is 'stuck' so firmly to the retina that it has to be separated surgically in a vitrectomy operation.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
(male)

wonderfullife HB User

hi, i googled some symptoms i was having and this came up, and it was exactly what i am feeling. except i am 19 years old. did you ever fin out what it was?

Closed Thread