It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

sabita HB User
Sudden flash of light in the left eye.

I just experienced a very strange symptom which I am not sure if I have ever experienced before. I was in a dimly lit room and using my laptop, and all of a sudden a tiny ball of light appeared in the top corner of my left eye. It sort of sparkled or resembled a ball of electricity. It lasted about a second or two, and then disappeared.

I have a history of migraines, although I only get them once every couple of years. I've had flashes of light in my eyes before, but I don't think this was it. Typically, it will be like a flashlight shining in my eye and it won't go away until my migraine has disappeared.

I'm a little bit worried since I know that sudden flashes of light are a symptom of retinal detachment, and I've read that they typically happen as people age -- but I'm only 23. For my eye history, I occasionally experience and have been experiencing little black dots in my eyes that will appear for a second and then disappear (I'm assuming these are floaters). I've had this happen for awhile though. I am nearsighted (approx -3.75 to -4.00 in both eyes, I believe) with astigmatism and I recently was treated about 3-4 months ago for inflammation of the eyes.

Normally, I would make an appointment to see my opthamologist, but he is closed on the weekends. If it's retinal detachment or something serious like that, I don't want to put it off, but at the same time, I don't want to wait in the emergency room for one small little momentary flash of light. Does anyone know of detachment causes prolonged or frequent flashes of light, or can even one short flash be a sign that I need immediate medical attention? I really don't like the idea of going blind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: Sudden flash of light in the left eye.

It is doubtful that this is of any importance unless it is repeated. There are all sorts of reasons for this sort of incident, particularly if you have no other symptoms such as headache or chest pains or tingling of fingers.
If you have true migraines, then you will know that the severe headache is preceded by visual phenomena or tingling sensations in the limbs. They are quite scary but are relatively harmless.
I would recommend that you wait to see if anything further happens but the chances are that it was just an electrical discharge in the brain with no known cause.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Further to what Brian said, a retinal detachment would result in loss of vision in that area of the retiina. I would think, also, that it would involve more than one flash.
Myopic people have all kinds of weird goings-on with their eyes. The fact that your eyeball is elongated causes tugging of the vitreous on the retina and this will result in activation of the nerve cells.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
(male)

juanramon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabita View Post
I just experienced a very strange symptom which I am not sure if I have ever experienced before. I was in a dimly lit room and using my laptop, and all of a sudden a tiny ball of light appeared in the top corner of my left eye. It sort of sparkled or resembled a ball of electricity. It lasted about a second or two, and then disappeared.

I have a history of migraines, although I only get them once every couple of years. I've had flashes of light in my eyes before, but I don't think this was it. Typically, it will be like a flashlight shining in my eye and it won't go away until my migraine has disappeared.

I'm a little bit worried since I know that sudden flashes of light are a symptom of retinal detachment, and I've read that they typically happen as people age -- but I'm only 23. For my eye history, I occasionally experience and have been experiencing little black dots in my eyes that will appear for a second and then disappear (I'm assuming these are floaters). I've had this happen for awhile though. I am nearsighted (approx -3.75 to -4.00 in both eyes, I believe) with astigmatism and I recently was treated about 3-4 months ago for inflammation of the eyes.

Normally, I would make an appointment to see my opthamologist, but he is closed on the weekends. If it's retinal detachment or something serious like that, I don't want to put it off, but at the same time, I don't want to wait in the emergency room for one small little momentary flash of light. Does anyone know of detachment causes prolonged or frequent flashes of light, or can even one short flash be a sign that I need immediate medical attention? I really don't like the idea of going blind.

Closed Thread