It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
(female)

Kabees HB User
Arrow I see blood vessels and little bright spots in vision

I have a very strange undiagnosed vision problem.
I suffer from frequent, daily flashes of colorful lights in my eyes. Sometimes they linger for days and a few have never gone away.

Some of these 'spots' of bright light, and they are pretty small, don't go away, and they turn into small blind spots.

I am noticing that my little abnormal blind spots are right on the blood vessels inside my eyes. I notice I can see tons of hairline blood vessels when I look at bright surfaces, and these blind spots have the vessels running through them.

I also have areas in my vision that are slightly warped or rippled looking, especially when I look at lined patterns. These areas of rippling are located where some of my eye's blood vessels are. I sometimes take a small pen light and shine it on my closed eyelid and I can see the major blood vessels inside my eye and thier shapes and locations.

I developed a small, bright blue spot today in my right eye, off to the lower right, and it lines up with a blood vessel that has a few other blind spots scattered along it's length.

This is going on in both of my eyes, various locations, for a couple of years and I develop new blind spots once a month or so. I'm 30 yrs old.

This seems to me like a vascular issue. Perhaps tiny blood vessel leaks?? I don't know.
I've been to 3 eye MDs, 2 Retina Drs, 2 Neuro-opths. I've had dialated eye exams, several Humphry tests, several OCTs, ERG, FA, MRI. Nothing could be detected, which I just cannot understand.

I go through every day thinking I'm going blind. I can hardly take the anxiety and frustration anymore, and it has taken over my life.

Can anyone think of anything else I could try?

Thank You

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
(male)

AnthonyShaw HB User
Re: I see blood vessels and little bright spots in vision

Hi Kabees,
I'm a 22 year old African-American male (average weight/height) who's suffering from the same problem. It's perplexing isn't it? I'm sorry someone else has to go through this nagging uncertainty as well. While not as extensive as your eye exams, I've been in for an Optomap retinal scan (among other things), and the doctor said that my retinal tissue is perfectly healthy. After I told him about the tiny blind spots, he said, "I don't know why you have them, but I don't think they're anything to worry about" (sound familiar?). Also though, he told me to get checked for Sickle-cell disease, which could be a cause. I haven't had this done yet (no medical insurance), but I thought you might like to know this (I'll post the results when I get the bloodwork done). Hypertension is also a cause for this. My blood pressure is normal, but I've heard that hypertension can spike unpredictably at times (probably more of a stretch). One more thing to check is your blood glucose (I haven't done this either yet). You may have read that even slighty high blood glucose (or pre-diabetes) can be harmful to blood vessels, especially in your eyes. Well Kabees, I hope you find an answer soon. I'll be checking this thread regularly, posting any info I find. Take care.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:25 AM   #3
(female)

Kabees HB User

Anthony,
Thank you so much for your input. I was wondering about diabetes as well, as other relatives of mine have it.
Please let me know if your doctor finds any clues to this distressing problem. I don't understand how all these doctors and tests can't detect what's going on. It's scary.

About how many and how often do you get the little blind spots?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
(male)

AnthonyShaw HB User

Hey Kabees,
I have 2 "smudges" in my vision that are somewhat noticeable, but a bunch of smaller ones that I only notice while looking at like venetian blinds or computer spreadsheets. Speaking of computers, do you have a job that requires you to spend lots of hours behind a computer screen? This seemed to start occurring after I increased my computer usage.
I've been experiencing this vision problem for about 4 months, seeing new smudges/spots once or twice a month (usually temporary). They haven't been as bad since I stopped drinking a beer a day, leading me to believe that some kind of hypertension could be the cause.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
(female)

Kabees HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyShaw View Post
Hey Kabees,
I have 2 "smudges" in my vision that are somewhat noticeable, but a bunch of smaller ones that I only notice while looking at like venetian blinds or computer spreadsheets. Speaking of computers, do you have a job that requires you to spend lots of hours behind a computer screen? This seemed to start occurring after I increased my computer usage.
I've been experiencing this vision problem for about 4 months, seeing new smudges/spots once or twice a month (usually temporary). They haven't been as bad since I stopped drinking a beer a day, leading me to believe that some kind of hypertension could be the cause.
In fact I do spend a lot of tiime in front of computers, between my job and home. My job is totally computer oriented. Although I've always spent a lot of time in front of a computer screen over many years, I do more so now than ever.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
(female)

sabine09 HB User

Hi there

I have the EXACT same problem. Kabees, I completely relate to your post - I too am beside myself with anxiety over this, and it colors my entire life.

Anthony, I can't look at spreadsheets or venetian blinds either, without seeing dozens of scattered missing bits (they don't move, always the same).

I have seen numerous opthalmologists and had several different tests, and guess what I have been told?? "I don't know what it is, but you should should just try to ignore it and get on with your life." But how is that possible when all I can do i wait for the next spot to appear? And the endless not knowing is wrecking my head. If i only had a diagnosis, i could take the appropriate steps and make the appropriate plans. As is stands I am in limbo.

Kabees, have you had any suggestions made to you as to what might be causing it?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
(female)

Kabees HB User
Smile Re: I see blood vessels and little bright spots in vision

Hi Sabine, I am always glad to hear from other people who know what we're talking about. A couple of doctors I've seen theorized it was related to visual migraines. I'm not sure if there's a way they could test for migraines that could be affecting vision or not. I've done a lot of researching on my own and I'm still not sure what this is, but I think it may be vascular in some way.

I also get a ton of temporary spots in my eyes every day. Some last only a few seconds or minutes and others can last hours. Unfortunately a few never go away and turn into the little blind spots.

Just out of curiosity, about how old are you and how long have you've been experiencing this? (I'm 30 and have had this for about 2 yrs.)

Thanks

Old 05-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
(female)

sabine09 HB User

Hi Kabees
I'm 41 and have had this about 10 years. I also have migraines with aura, but this is NOTHING like that. I also think it has something to do with the blood vessels in the eyes. Other than that, I'm stumped (along with the docs).

Old 11-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
(male)

jorov HB User

Hi to all I have the same problem (I am 30) and I kind of know what is going on.
1. Staring at computer screen for long time exhausts chemistry in retina (you see longer afterimages - especially after looking at black item and you move to light area). This forces your blood vessels to expand in order to supply more blood to retina.
2. When you are close to orgasm (having sex or masturbating ) your blood pressure rises to very high levels (for me up to 220/140). MEASURE IT !!!
3. You experience stress in your life - at work - with an everwanting boss, at home, with an everwanting wife (for example) - which adds to blood vessels tension.

I think these three combined lead to vascular problems - blood vessels shrink and expand many times to correspond to different conditions and get weaker. Some of them just can't preserve their integrity - blind spot appears.

Other symptoms may be: flickering vision (especially when dark) migraine with aura, enlarged blind spots ( the spots where eye nerve enters ).

I would be happy if a doctor can confirm or deny my statements.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
(male)

Jussi HB User

Hello!

I've been suffering from this kind of symptoms for a few years already, and I am at the age of 17. Opticians never found anything "weird" in my eyes.

I was trying to google these symptoms in my native language, but didn't find anything useful. Then I ended up on this board.

This thread is three years old already, so I would like to ask if you've got any diagnosis for this problem? My symptoms, or should I call them features, are mostly the same than in the first post of this thread.

I'm very grateful if somebody knows more about this stuff.

Last edited by Jussi; 11-15-2011 at 05:43 AM.

Closed Thread