It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User
Question The Welsh Self Test for Glaucoma??

Hi,
Can anyone describe the Welsh Test for glaucoma.
It's a test people can do themselves, and without instruments.
I've seen it loosely described in a few articles, but they are pretty vague about it. And they all say the same thing - so were just press repeats.
I wondered if anyone had some details or had used it?
It's a handy test, apparently.
Thanks, Beefy

Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User
Re: The Welsh Self Test for Glaucoma??

Since the failure to treat glaucoma can cause (unnecessary) blindness, it might not be a good idea to rely on a self test for diagnostic purposes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Beefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB UserBeefsteak HB User

Hi Jodie,
I'm not sure whether a self-test is such a bad thing. Many people can't afford the high fees opthalmists charge (here first visit is $200), but if people could do a simple test of their own showing that they HAD a problem that would (or might) help. They could be more certain that their precious money would be well spent seeing one. Of course glaucoma is often a sneaking problem that very few know they have until it's late - sometimes too late. If we had a simple test we might know earlier (on average). The thing is we don't screen for glaucoma, if we did I would be more inclined to agree with you, but since we don't, ANY testing we can encourage is good.
I thinks it's called a "silent" problem - one eye can compensate for loss of vision in the other, and our brain can fill in detail. Add in some cataracts and many older folk are very unsure about the quality of their vision. I don't think opticians routinely check for glaucoma, so it goes untested mostly.
Just a few thoughts - what do you think?
(My problem is a little different - I have been diagnosed with "low pressure" glaucoma, and all I am being given is eye drops to lower my pressure (from about 20-23 to about 13 or so - units are ??). I am not sure about the quality of the diagnosis and would like to check it myself. The optician said my pressures were normal and the opthalmist said they were high-side normal.)

Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

I'm not an eye care professional and not very knowledgeable about your health care system in Australia. I do know other people with glaucoma who are treated with only eye drops, and they seem to be doing well. The problem with a self test is that it might be inaccurate--letting you think that you don't have glaucoma when you really do.

There is another website where your questions will be answered by an ophthalmologist-- at no charge. I'm not allowed to post the address here, so I'll send you a personal message letting you know how to find it.

Closed Thread