It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
(female)

justrobin1111 HB User
Double Vision - Stroke related or Cranial Nerve issue - PLEASE HELP!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting to a health message board. I'll give you the basics, please, any insight you have would be really helpful. I have custody of my 8 month old grandaughter and because I've lost partial eyesight/balance and they dont know what's wrong, the state is talking about moving her....I need answers...thanks for any help you can give.

For starters, I'm 35 years old, I have diabetes (type 2 in excellent control) high blood pressure (managed) lymphadema in my legs, and sleep apnea. I quit smoking a year ago, and I'm overweight (and working on it)

Seven days ago I was sitting on my porch when my right eye went black to a point. After that it went into this prism/kaleidoscope where there was four of everything. I covered the right eye, and it started to happen in the left, only worse. I tried to stand and almost passed out. I had to crawl into my house. I was very disoriented, but managed to call for someone to come help and pick up my children. By the time they got here I had fallen three times, and my left eyeball had rolled completely inward towards my nose..I fell down every time I tried to stand up. My husband got home and called 911. When the paramedics got there they said my left pupil was fixed and larger than the other.

At the hospital they told me they thought I had a small stroke. They left it up to me whether to stay or go home, and I chose to go home and see a neurologist. All my symptoms went away, except now I have constant double vision. I have to wear a patch so Im able to keep my balance. my left eye vision has been greatly reduced. I saw the neuro dr. who said I had "bilateral INO's" (eyes moving different directions).

I had high blood pressure and heart rate when admitted (I was scared!) and I have been having daily headaches for approximately two weeks before the episode. I have also had a lot of stress and had a very busy weekend. I had normal bloodwork, cat scan, EKG, ultrasound of my neck, and MRI. The opthomalogist said that its the muscles in my eyes, and its possibly some kind of "cranial nerve palsy" caused by my diabetes. The neurologist said he thought it originated in my brain stem.

I havent had a sugar over 200 in more than a year. My A1C is darn near perfect. Does anyone know what else could cause this and not show up on an MRI? Could it have still been a small stroke and not shown up on the scan? I am having trouble with my coordination, and in the month before had some problems with speech and word finding. We thought it was due to a new medication.

They are telling me it will take 2-3 months for it to get better...they say it will eventually "resolve on its own." I have no answers, no reason for why it happened, real diagnosis, or whether last week's "episode" could happen again. In the meantime, I'm a writer and now I can't read, write, drive, and with my bad balance I'm worried about carrying the baby around. I also just bought my first home and will be moving in two weeks. I'm having a hard time adjusting to only one eye working.

Thanks for reading all this, I appreciate any ideas you might have or questions for my neurologist. He has adopted a "wait and see" approach to what has happened. I'm thankful its not a huge stroke or a brain tumor, but not knowing what happened is really scary.

Have a wonderful evening,

Robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User
Re: Double Vision - Stroke related or Cranial Nerve issue - PLEASE HELP!

The headaches prior to this happening are suspicious (to me who isn't a doc). Did the headaches get worse when you bent over? I'm just wondering about intracranial pressure (measured by a lumbar puncture, "spinal tap").
All I can suggest is doing some research on sixth cranial nerve palsy. It's the 6th nerve that affects eye muscles; however, there are other cranial nerves. I don't know whether it's a separate one that would affect your balance, but I'd check out the cranial nerve palsies.

Double vision from SCNP can resolve in a few months, up to a year. Sometimes it never goes away and eye muscle surgery is required. This is not to alarm you, since we don't know what you have.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

justrobin1111 HB User

Hello, and thanks so much for reading and replying.

I'm so thankful to be able to type by touch! I am still having headaches, but I assume its because of my eyes. The optho dr said my right eye is okay vision wise, but vision is about 50% darker than the other eye. They said it was bilateral, but my vision is most affected in my left eye, I can't read ANYTHING on the chart. I dont remember if the headaches increased before when i bent over, but they do now, and i get very dizzy/lightheaded when I bend from the waist. I'm still very sick to my stomach, occasionally vomit, and lose my balance. It seems to be worse if I walk around too much or if I ride in the car. I feel like I'm on a tilt. the headache is not unbearable, just constant. My neurologist hasnt even called me back this week, even though the optho called him. They are very vague about telling me what they think it is or why it happened. cranial nerve palsy sounds like what they think it is, but it doesnt usually have sudden onset (i think) or the other symptoms...guess im in for some research..if only i could read better! If one eye was strong..it would be easier to deal with...

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, have a great day

Robin

Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Would magnfication help on the computer? If so, Windows has a built-in magnifier. Start/Programs/Accessories/Accessibility/Magnifier.
It's a bit cantankerous, but it can be stretched the width of the screen and moved to the top or bottom of the monitor. You can adjust the size of the text. If you can use this, and have any problems with it, let me know.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
(female)

justrobin1111 HB User

Thanks so much, the magnifier does help. I tried to message my neurologist today because last night the headaches intensified, worse than they ever were, and have stayed all today. The neurologist did not give me any pain or nausea medication, instead scheduled me for a spinal tap - in THREE WEEKS. I had to ask someone to bring me pain medicine they had left over because I can't bear another trip to the ER just to be sent home and told to follow up with neurology.

Thanks - I will tinker with the magnifier...hope you have a good night.

R

Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

KeelaC HB User

Intracranial pressure can cause a condition called pseudotumor cerebri. You should look that one up too.

If the text in the magnifier seems to be leaning in the wind, there's a fix.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
(female)

zebra13 HB User

Your experience sounds terrifying. I am so sorry. It reminded me of my older brother's experience which took months to play out and receive a diagnosis. There are so many things that can cause a symptom that doctors can't possibly keep up with the possibilities when something happens that is unusual. My brother had double vision and muscle weakness. It turns out that he has an auto-immune disorder called Mysthenia Gravis (spelling ?). It is not common especially in women but a simple test can rule it out. Neurologist do this test in their office. It is probably a long shot but your symptoms sound a lot like his and his symptoms got so much better with treatment. Good Luck. Blessings.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB UserJodieJ HB User

Justrobin, you need to consult a neuro-ophthalmologist about your vision problems. If your current doctor is baffled, then get a second opinion from an experienced, board-certified ophthalmologist, preferrably at a major medical center. A forum like this is not the best place to get medical advice for a problem like yours.

I'm concerned about the possibility that the State is contemplating removing your granddaughter from your home because of your vision problems. Where is the State getting their information from? Certainly not from your doctor. Please don't tell me that you are the source. It is definitely NOT in your best interest to be providing this type of information to the State authorities. Frankly, it would probably be best at this point if they believed that you are receiving treatment for your health problems, and things are under control and in the process of getting resolved.

The Following User Says Thank You to JodieJ For This Useful Post:
justrobin1111 (01-18-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
(female)

justrobin1111 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelaC View Post
Intracranial pressure can cause a condition called pseudotumor cerebri. You should look that one up too.

If the text in the magnifier seems to be leaning in the wind, there's a fix.
hi Keela,

After over a year of hell and being nearly bedridden, they FINALLY did a lumbar puncture and diagnosed me with Intracranial Hypertension. I am still being shifted back and forth between doctors, currently having botox injections and have had four theraupeutic lumbar punctures.

Thank you! I might not have pursued the tap if you hadnt brought this to my attention, I got this message recently and when I read my original post I had CLASSIC pseudotumor/IH symptoms. THANK YOU!!!

Robin

Old 01-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
(female)

justrobin1111 HB User

They did take my grandaughter, not because of me, but other reasons. After 3 months they have given her back to us permanently. by some small miracle, my social worker also developed Intracranial Hypertension and is much more sympathetic.

Closed Thread