It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

purplesilhouette HB User
anyone have shimmering/sparkling vision?

Hi everyone,

I've been having a shimmery or sparkly effect in my vision for quite some years now, and I've been to the eye doctor and they can't find anything wrong with my eyes. I can't remember this effect ever not being there, but I forget about it all the time (I figure my brain just adapts to ignoring it most of the time).

It's more like a network of tiny pixels everywhere, and it's easier to see on solid colors, particularly on white wall. It's kind of like that fluid, sparkling effect that happens after the camera flash goes off, but I don't see distinct spots, just faint sparkling everywhere. It's like the pattern on the tv when the channel goes out, but much much much tinier spots. It gets worse if my eyes are really tired, but doesn't blur or dim my vision, it's just always there. I see them in the dark or when my eyes are closed too, because the sparkling is white/lighter in color. Sometimes there are momentary outlines of an object I looked at a split second earlier (again, like the camera flash).

Just for clarification, it's NOT like the effect you can see when on a hot day the rising heat can make things appear wavy. I don't get any flashes of light or distortions. It's just like an overlay.

Does anyone else have vision like this? I'm wondering if maybe it has to do with too much light entering my eye, because my pupils are larger than average, and using a pair of sunglasses seems to lessen it sometimes. Oh, and I'm nearsighted with some astigmatism.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to purplesilhouette For This Useful Post:
Crissy88 (04-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: anyone have shimmering/sparkling vision?

It sounds like the condition known as 'visual snow'. If you do a search for that title on this forum and on the Internet you will find that it is not that unusual. However, the reasons for it are varied and you would probably have to consult a neuro-ophthalmologist to diagnose your case.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

purplesilhouette HB User

wow. i've never heard of that ever, that could definitely be it. thanks so much!!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
(female)

Larena HB User

I have the same exact thing! It doesn't happen very often and it is hard to explain. You explained it dead on. It just happened to me on Saturday at a Halloween party. It is scary when it happens because I start to worry I have something seriously wrong. I feel like people think I'm a weirdo because I get scared about it. I had to go sit in the car and relax until it went away. It starts out a little shimmery spot where ever I look and then gets bigger. It eventually moves over to the side and it's more like a dark spot then. Then it blocks my peripheral vision on that side and then it just goes away. I talked to the doctor about it before and they sent me to an eye doctor. They dilated my eyes and everything looked fine. It happens so rarely that I don't remember if it is always on the same side. The last time it happened was almost 2 years ago.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

For at least 10 - 15 years, I get exactly the same thing, but only about once or twice a year. I once told my eye doctor and he explained....some times a little blood vessel behind the eye pops and it takes about 20 minutes for everything to settle down. He was so right, when I get the episode, I can time it, it always stops after about 20 minutes.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

I have to correct myself. I just looked up "visial snow" on google and my symptoms are different. It starts on the side of one eye, like a little halo, shimmering and zigzag lines. The halo gets larger until I see it about above my eye, the form of a rainbow (without the colors) outside my face from the middle of the forehead to the side, after a while the halo gets smaller, goes back to the side then disappears. The little zigzag lines are very prominent. It is very hard to explain.

Not to compare with "floaters and flashes" I get those also sometimes, aber that is a different story.

Closed Thread