It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
(female)

Slim1984 HB User
Need advice !

Long story short: I have a little trouble seeing far away. I have no insurance. I found a vision assistance program the would pay for me to have an eye exam, and give me free glasses if I need them.

Prior to this I had FOUND two pairs of glasses at my old job a few years ago. I had only tried them out during college classes. Pair #1 helped a little. I could see better through them, but they were a little weird. Pair #2 helped a LOT, so I thought maybe it was similar to my vision, and used it to help read the blackboard.

Yesterday, I had my free appointment. They ran tests, said my eyes were healthy, but agreed I have mild near-sightedness. SO..they make me glasses. However, I don't have to wear them all the time. I only need them if I drive, or need to read in the distance. So, I go to work, my bf gets my glasses and brings them to me last night.

I decide to compare my vision with all 3 glasses. (Please note that this is now at NIGHT inside his car.) I could see very well through my newly prescribed pair. HOWEVER, the old pairs seem to have switched. #1 I could now see out of VERY well, and #2 only helped a little. #1 even seems to be a little more clear (in the dark) than the pair made for me. However #1 also made all street lights look like they were attacking me. When we got inside, into a lit room, I decided to test all 3 again. #1 and #2 took their normal roles, but I could see the best through the ones made for me...

So here is what I need help and advice with. Why would the amount of light affect how I see out of the other pairs? And if I do see a little more clearly out of one that's not made for me (only at night), is it worth bringing up?

Last edited by Slim1984; 11-04-2009 at 04:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: Need advice !

The two pairs of glasses that you found were not prescribed for you so they may be only nearly right for you in certain situations. Getting the right prescription is a complex process so you should only ever rely on glasses that were prescribed for you.
When you are in dark surroundings, the pupils of your eyes enlarge to absorb as much light as possible. This also has the effect of changing your depth of field (the range of distance over which you can see clearly). So, that will also influence the way your eyes react to the different pairs of glasses.
I would strongly recommend you to only use the glasses that were made for you.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGeek View Post
The two pairs of glasses that you found were not prescribed for you so they may be only nearly right for you in certain situations. Getting the right prescription is a complex process so you should only ever rely on glasses that were prescribed for you.
When you are in dark surroundings, the pupils of your eyes enlarge to absorb as much light as possible. This also has the effect of changing your depth of field (the range of distance over which you can see clearly). So, that will also influence the way your eyes react to the different pairs of glasses.
I would strongly recommend you to only use the glasses that were made for you.
How come the 2 old ones would change completely because of light?
In the light one was much better than the other. Then in the dark, it was the opposite on which one was better.

I don't need another eye exam in the dark or anything, right?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

It's not the glasses that are changing. Your eyes (pupils) enlarge in the dark so they react differently to glasses that have unknown characteristics. Your new glasses have been selected to suit your eyes so the way you see through them should be similar in light or dark conditions.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

Quote:
It's not the glasses that are changing. Your eyes (pupils) enlarge in the dark so they react differently to glasses that have unknown characteristics. Your new glasses have been selected to suit your eyes so the way you see through them should be similar in light or dark conditions.
Gotcha! Thank you so much!!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

I wanna add...

I can see best through mine during the day... and best through unknown pair #1 at night..... but cant see through pair #1 during the day.

So is it possible that mine aren't completely right for me?

HELP!!!

Last edited by Slim1984; 11-04-2009 at 06:34 PM.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

It's possible but is it really worth the worry. As I said earlier, getting glasses absolutely right for all circumstances is a very complex business. There is always the possiblity that you can find minor improvements by chance but is the difference so great that it's worth complaining? You will probably find that your eyes gradually adapt to your new glasses if you keep wearing them.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

Quote:
It's possible but is it really worth the worry. As I said earlier, getting glasses absolutely right for all circumstances is a very complex business. There is always the possiblity that you can find minor improvements by chance but is the difference so great that it's worth complaining? You will probably find that your eyes gradually adapt to your new glasses if you keep wearing them.
They were free so I can't get an adjustment anyway. I visited my doctor this morning. She retested me quickly with and without my correct pair and confirmed my vision is 20/20 with the right glasses. She had no explanation why the others work better only at night, but added that they are way too strong for me and will weaken my eyes.

I'm just scared that mine aren't right for me.

Edit:

Is it possible that I just see a little worse at night?

Also, when I was reading the 20/20 line WITH the glasses, was I supposed to see it 100% perfectly? It wasnt fuzzy, but the letters just looked kinda tiny. She said when I read it, it matched 20/20

Last edited by Slim1984; 11-05-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added additional info

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

If you can read the 20/20 line then your vision is regarded as 20/20. That really is very good so it would be best to stick to your new glasses and dispose of the others. Maybe there is a charity shop nearby that would be happy to pass them on to a worthy cause.

Closed Thread