It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

mcnana HB User
salzman nodules questions

I was recently diagnosed with these in both my eyes and my doctor is recommending eye surgery to remove them. Any one have any info about them or can point me to some more info before I make up my mind.

I'm 42 and have very dry eyes that are being hindered by BP medicine I'm on. I'm worried that having the surgery will only make things worse because the dry eyes which is still there no matter how many drops I place in them daily. Going to the cardiologist to see if he can switch my meds to one that won't dry out the eyes so much.

My vision is being hindered in one eye by the nodules but not much--mostly just not as sharp and no way of making the vision any sharper do to the nodules.

How much pain is normal after surgery --the doctor will be using a diamond bur to remove them and not laser as the laser is said to make them worse. Thanks for any advice or stories of how they have effected you.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
(female)

thinkfast HB User
Re: salzman nodules questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnana View Post
I was recently diagnosed with these in both my eyes and my doctor is recommending eye surgery to remove them. Any one have any info about them or can point me to some more info before I make up my mind.

I'm 42 and have very dry eyes that are being hindered by BP medicine I'm on. I'm worried that having the surgery will only make things worse because the dry eyes which is still there no matter how many drops I place in them daily. Going to the cardiologist to see if he can switch my meds to one that won't dry out the eyes so much.

My vision is being hindered in one eye by the nodules but not much--mostly just not as sharp and no way of making the vision any sharper do to the nodules.

How much pain is normal after surgery --the doctor will be using a diamond bur to remove them and not laser as the laser is said to make them worse. Thanks for any advice or stories of how they have effected you.
Hello, I was diagnosed with salzman's nodules a couple years ago. I also have them in both eyes. Recently, my night vision has deteriorated; and I'm thinking it's due to dry eyes in combination with the nodules. I am going to look into having surgery on them, too. I understand it is not a major procedure, but can be done in the office. I believe my doctor actually "slices" them off. I do not knowwhat tool is used. Good luck with your procedure. I hope it works for you. I have heard that removing the nodules can reduce the amount of dryness you experience because your cornea will be smoother and therefore, it will "hold" the tears better as you blink.

Thinkfast--

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

mcnana HB User

I did have the surgery done the last week in December and only had a little bit of irritation like having something under your contact for about a day. What I couldn't believe is how bright and vivid things look now!! I tell people it is like someone turned on a high def. TV in my left eye that had surgery. All in all I am very pleased with the results.

I still have extremely dry eyes though but my doctor put in PLUGs in the lower eye lid tear ducts and that has made a world of difference--now when I use extra moisturizer drops in my eyes it actually feels like they are staying moist and before it never felt like I could get enough moisture in my eye.

My surgery was done at a surgery center but I was fully awake during it.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
(female)

sueralu467 HB User

Did you have sensitivity to bright lights prior to surgery and how are your eyes with bright lights now, after surgery. I'm scheduled to go on Thursday, March 4th to have them removed.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
(female)

mcnana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueralu467 View Post
Did you have sensitivity to bright lights prior to surgery and how are your eyes with bright lights now, after surgery. I'm scheduled to go on Thursday, March 4th to have them removed.
Yes I was sensitive to light before and right after--they gave me these really UGLY but great sunglasses to wear for the first week anytime I was outside and it made the world of difference. I still feel the need to wear sunglasses when I'm outside but it isn't nearly as bad as it was during the first two weeks. Since I was light sensitive before I can't say that the surgery made me light sensitive. It isn't bad though.

I used a steroid drop, a non steroid drop and an antibiotic drop afterward and recovered great. The steroid drop really made a difference.

good luck on your surgery and let me know how it comes out. Mine where covering almost half my eye.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
(female)

sueralu467 HB User

Hi mcnana,

My scar tissue is at the top of my eyes which causes the eye lid to scrape allong the eye and cause more abraisions which then turn into ulcers and finally scar tissue. At least that's how my doctor described it. He told me he could give me rewetting drops to keep my eyes lubricated however, he couldn't garantee that I wouldn't get another abraision, ulcer and finally scar tissue. He informed me of the proceedure 6 years ago and well as you can see, it finally took a drastic turn to where I was ready to rip my eye ballls out and just go blind and that's what made my decision to finally have surgery.

Where do you live and where was your surgery performed?? I live in Chicago, IL and my surgery will be performed at Saint Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates, IL.

It has been comforting to read other peoples experiences with this type of surgery over the internet and to hear the success stories. After hearing what the procedure was to remove the scar tissue 6 years ago, there was no way I was having that type of surgery done to my eyes and now, after I have done the research, I wish I would have done the surgery 6 years ago. Oh well, better late than never, that's one of my mottos. Please keep in touch with me with regards to your healing. How long was it before you returned back to work??

My job is already setting me up with FMLA leave. I carried 10 days of vacation time over from last year to this year so I wouldn't have to borrow any days. As you can see, I'm trying to put a time line on how soon I will recover and be able to go back to work. Yes I know, everyone is different and will react differently to this type of surgery.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me, it has truly been helpful.

Closed Thread