It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

Carocade HB User
Blepharitis Help

I have Meibomian Gland Dysfunction/Posterior Blepharitis. I have been so frustrated with the ancient treatment for this disease and so little research in progress. I looked up the top 20 eye research institutes and wrote them asking for more research and relating my frustrations. Would anyone else be willing to do this? Maybe if they get enough letters they will take this disease seriously. My ophthalmologist said most Dr's just consider it a "Nuisance." Just Google Top eye institutes and then look them up to get the address. I have a copy and a copy of my letter if anyone is interested. There is strength in numbers so maybe we can get something going. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Carocade:
Arkie123 (11-13-2010)
Old 11-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
(female)

Blephcure HB User
Re: Blepharitis Help

Suggest wearing mascara to relieve blepharitis symptoms. I, too, have written to several Hospitals and Doctors but I have done this because I have found something that totally relieved my sypmtoms. However, I have had no responses either. So, I've decided to try and get the word out on a blog. Several years ago, I started to suffer from blepharitis. It started in one eye and only happened occasionally (especially when I was under stress). However, over the years, it got worse and worse and was in both eyes. It reached the point that I had to leave social events early and was happening almost daily. Nothing I did helped. I stopped wearing makeup completely. After a couple of years of this, my son got married and I found that when I wore eye makeup for the wedding and showers - I had no blepharitis sypmtoms. Afte a little experimenting, I found that it was the mascara that did the trick. I believe that mascara, 'catches' the little pieces of dandruff (skin particles) and keeps them from getting into your eye. It's now been four years since I discovered this and I have not had one single episode of blepharitis. I simply apply mascara every morning. Recently, my sister found out that a girl she worked with had blepharitis and could find no relief. My sister told her about the use of mascara. She just ran into my sister and thanked her for the idea as she has had no sypmtoms for two weeks. Having heard this story from my sister, I now really believe that I am correct about mascara and hope to help as many blepharitis sufferers that I can! It seems to be an 'insignificant' little desease but it can ruin your life. Anyway, hope this helps. What I have found is that women who start to get blepharitis sypmtoms will immediately stop wearing makeup so it becomes a vicious cycle.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-11-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
(female)

Carocade HB User

Thank you so much. I think your solution may be good for anterior blepharitis, but mascara has not helped me.....mine is posterior and the clogging is caused by the secretions from the glands themselves, not particles of dandruff, dust, etc. However, I truly appreciate your response and your willingness to help.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
(female)

1lorrie HB User

hi! i am also having the same eye problem.the eye doctor i went to sais about the same,only he made me feel like i didn't wash my eyes,that i was dirty .gave me eye drops and meds for eye infection and told me to put hot compresses on eye every day,and said goodbye see ya next year.i dont think they really know what the problem is.i am 63 and have had this problem on and off for about 8 years.but know it's here to stay can someone please help me

Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User

Hi

I also was diagnosed with Blepharitis a week ago. My right eyelid especially was red, swollen,crusty,and itchy off and on for about 6 weeks. All I was doing on my own was the baby shampoo eyelid scrubs and then I tried the steri-lid eyelid cleaner, which did help a little for a short time but it continued to come back. I finally decided it was time to see my eye doctor. He gave me a prescription for Neomycin and Polymxin B Sulfates and Dexamethasone Ophtalmic Ointment. (a Steroid/antibacterial gel) I put the gel in the eye before bedtime.

I am also using Pataday which helps with the itching. It's a drop I put in the eye once a day. It is used for eye allergies. So far this seems to be helping to clear it up. I go back next Tuesday for a re-check and if it's not totally gone there is some kind of a pill he will prescribe that should take care of it. I'm hoping the gel and drops does the trick.

The doctor also asked me what I had been doing on my own to treat it, and I told him eyelid scrubs a few time a day and hot compresses. He told me to cut down the scrubs to about once every other day, because doing it too much could be causing the dryness, and itchiness. It's very annoying not to mention embarassing having racoon eyes I wish you all success in getting rid of this annoying problem.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 12-01-2009 at 06:33 AM.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
(female)

Carocade HB User

This is a disease that few opthalmologists seem to know how to treat...I had to switch Dr's 4 times before I found one that knew all about it and the most current research. He said most Dr's just consider it a nuisance and don't take it seriously. You should find a Dr. knowledgeable about this disease..an opthalmologist, not an optometrist. There are two kinds of blepharitis, anterior and posterior. If it is the latter, warm compresses and eyelid massage are crucial, and then it can take months. Also Doxycycline, an oral antibiotic is very helpful. My doctor had to show me how to do the massages. I have battled this for almost 11 months and have had some intense pain...just now getting some better. ( I wasted 5 months with the Dr's who didn't understand the disease). Azasite can help the pain (it is wonderful), but can only be used periodically as you can build up a resistance. I pray you find a good Doctor as this is necessary...don't give up!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
(female)

1lorrie HB User

well yesterday i went as far as trying some new make up to maybe try to hide my red eye,to no avail.then i found an old prescription i had some time back called tobradex ointment.did the eye wash hot compresses pryed,at bedtime i put the ointment on and even put a patch on my eye so it wouldn't come off through the night.nothing good came from it.this morning i scraped over a crusted bump to get rid of it because i thought maybe it was dried oil from gland,but on ointment again and warm cloth,noe im sitting here trying to find more about this eye problem.this has went on way too long.i have a reunion to go to on dec.12th,and won't go if this is not better,any more help ?

Last edited by 1lorrie; 12-02-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: im tired of this sore eye

Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
(female)

Carocade HB User

to llorrie: Sounds like your problem may be anterior blepharitis but I would suggest getting in to see an opthalmologist pronto...a good one that specializes in exterior eye disease. The lid scrubs are important for this kind of blepharitis (don't really "scrub" as this can make it worse, just gently wipe) Occusoft is a good lid cleaner that you can get at Walmart....it kills the bacteria on the lid margin as the glands just behind the base of the eyelashes get clogged. You might try this until you can get in to see a good doctor. Taking warm showers and steaming your eyes will help the glands unclog also(warm compresses too). I pray you get good help...no one knows what this feels like unless they experience it.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
(female)

shelley638 HB User

i had/have the same thing. i got it when i was a few weeks pregnant and docs didnt know what to do with me,think i had anterior and posterior. any way i have had it since sept last year and its much better now, since having my baby always have baby shampoo! i wash it once a day and use the hot compress. i had an op on my eyelid as it was so enflammed whilst i was pregnant and this has left me with i scar on my eyelid. so since the docs didnt know what to do i stopped going to hospital and its mostly cleared up by itself, just after i apply the hot compress i squeeze the lids of my eye (sorry) and get the gunk out then wash it with shampoo after it. its one of those things that you have to do you cant just put it off u have to be religious with the cleaning and hot compresses, it got slightly worse for a few days then has cleared up mostly hoping it will be gone completely very soon. its a horrible thing and soo noticable i hated it. hope this helps xxx

Old 12-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
(female)

1lorrie HB User

i'm doing everything i hear to do about my eye problem.the doctor said sometimes people get it and never really get rid of it.i am on celebex for arthritis and some of the symptoms say that it can cause eye problems,so going off to see if that is the answer,you never know ,thanks shelly for the info,and everyone 1 lorrie

Last edited by 1lorrie; 12-10-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: help

Old 12-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
(female)

linda417 HB User

I have had blepharitis for about a year now. It started with itchy eyelids, then slowly progressed to inflammation and irritation. I do the warm compresses and clean the lash line with q-tips. I have been living in an older home with hidden mold. The musty smell is always there no matter how clean you keep the house. There is a lot of work being done to try to correct this problem. Does anyone find that some indoor air triggers your eyes to swell? I work at a huge grocery store and dread going in to work because I know i'm going to be uncomfortable within minutes. It seems like recycled heated air bothers me. I guess it's poor circulation, and only the ones with eye or skin problems seem to notice. By the way, I am new to this forum and find it so helpful!

Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
(female)

jentrstno1 HB User

I just recently got diagnosed with blepharitis a couple weeks ago. My eyelids were at first crusty and due to the pollen count increase became inflamed. I am now applying Zymar (antibiotic) to my eyes for 7 days including cleaning it 2x a day with warm water and q-tip. My eyes look fine, but I guess the toxins from the staph bacteria were released and instead of being inflamed, now my prob is red eye. The condition 1st appeared in my left and started to spread to my right. As of now, I don't have probs with dry eye - just red eye. My Dr. said that the red eye will hopefully go away in a week. Will keep you all posted.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #13
(female)

Sanna HB User

Don´t know where you all live, but anyone of you heard of IPL treatment for dry eyes ?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #14
(female)

Sanna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley638 View Post
i had/have the same thing. i got it when i was a few weeks pregnant and docs didnt know what to do with me,think i had anterior and posterior. any way i have had it since sept last year and its much better now, since having my baby always have baby shampoo! i wash it once a day and use the hot compress. i had an op on my eyelid as it was so enflammed whilst i was pregnant and this has left me with i scar on my eyelid. so since the docs didnt know what to do i stopped going to hospital and its mostly cleared up by itself, just after i apply the hot compress i squeeze the lids of my eye (sorry) and get the gunk out then wash it with shampoo after it. its one of those things that you have to do you cant just put it off u have to be religious with the cleaning and hot compresses, it got slightly worse for a few days then has cleared up mostly hoping it will be gone completely very soon. its a horrible thing and soo noticable i hated it. hope this helps xxx
I have heard of this before that you can get this when you are pregnant. I hope it will go away. Please let me know if you get better.
I have also heard you can get this from stress and i think that is what i have.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
(male)

tcbted HB User

I've struggled with blepharitis and rosacea for about 20 years now.
It took me many trips to many opthamologists until I found someone who understood the disease, and who would assist me in keeping the flareups under control.
I have no external symptons ... no crustiness or discharge.
For me, my eyes water and the blood vessels burst, and active ulcers leave painful scar tissue on my cornea.

What has worked for me, and likely saved my vision, is a combination of garasone drops, tobradex, erythromycin ointment, and doxycyclin pills to keep the oils down.

For the past few years, I basically just use the garasone drops on a cuetip, scrubbing my lids. The garasone is a steroid, and can increase ocular pressure.
I am monitered twice a year for any changes in ocular pressure (glaucoma).
So far, all is good and I haven't had active ulcers in perhaps a year.

I will have days where my blood vessels burst, and my eyes are about fifty percent bloodshot. Basic tylenol seems to keep the pain at bay on those days.

Early on, various doctors/optometrists/ophthamologists simply told me to scrub my eyes with lidcare products, and to use hot compresses. I tried going off the garasone drops and switched to the scrubbing method for about one week. The result was the worst active ulcers I've ever had ... the corneal scarring was so bad that I could feel the scarring every time I blinked. I still have many visible white scars deposits circling my corneas.
When I went back to scrubbing my lids with the garasone, the ulcers stopped.

One unfortunate side affect of the drops was I ended up with fast acting cataracts at the age of 47. My opthamologist perfomed a cataract procedure on both my eyes at the same time ... because of my condition, I was a high risk for infection. Thankfully, the operation was a success.

To help reduce flareups, I take six tablets of Lysine vitamin daily, along with 1 tablet of zinc, and 1 tablet of Omega 3/6/9. Lysine is typically used for coldsores and herpes, but it has been a great help in reducing blepharitis flareups.

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable on the correct terminolagy, but I hope my experience is of some help to others.

It is an incredibly frustrating disease, in that there seems to be no cure.
I do know that red wine and close facial contact with animals seem to be bad trigger points for me.
Other than that, there seems to be no ryhme nor reason to a flareup.

I find it interesting that my opthamologist tells me that every year, he comes across at least one patient who has lost their vision to this disease, when they didn't have to, due to misdiagnosis. It can definitely be controlled, but going to a strictly homeopathic approach caused damage to my eyes.
I needed a balance of strong hygiene, vitamins, avoidance of known trigger points, and certain ocular drops scrubbed into my eyelashes.

Good luck to all who suffer from this chronic, stubborn, little understood disease. At this point, I believe that I will live with this condition for the rest of my life, but hope that I will continue to be able to control it.

The Following User Says Thank You to tcbted For This Useful Post:
Bluefin (11-02-2010)
Closed Thread