It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
(female)

Mama2Peanuts HB User
Blurred/double vision when looking around. Also, occasional pain behind/around eye

The past 3 weeks, whenever I move my eyes (looking from one thing to another, or in turning my head), it seems everything is more blurry than it should be, and things jump around (like I'm not able to scan things like I used to be able to, it's like watching a stop-start action film- kind of choppy).

Also, when moving my eyes as described above, I sometimes see double of things that my eyes pass by (particularly illuminated things like lamps, street lights, the microwave display, etc.) In the same time frame, I've also been getting a little light-headed when I'm walking around (ie looking around), or if I look left to right (not moving head) several times in a row (even slowly).

The above happens regardless of whether I'm wearing my [current prescription] glasses or not.

Another "quirk" I've been experiencing is occasional pain behind/around my eyeball (still within my eye socket, though) when I look to the far left/right/up/down. It's a sharp stabbing pain that goes away for the most part when I'm looking straight ahead. This comes and goes... usually hurting for 2-3 days, sometimes 1 eye, sometimes both, and then will go away for several weeks/months. It's been happening for a couple years now. When I mentioned it to an ophthalmologist, he said I might just have dry eyes, but even with using lubricating drops, it still happens.

If anyone has an insight, I would really appreciate it. Oh, and for the record, I'm a 24yo female. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
(male)

KurtWall HB User
Re: Blurred/double vision when looking around. Also, occasional pain behind/around ey

I am currently going through the EXACT same thing you went through. I am a retail manager so I am always in motion and always looking around (as opposed to working in front of a computer all day). For the last few days I have noticed my eyes have not been working as sharply as they normally do. When I look anywhere but straight ahead, especially right, (without moving my head) my vision blurs, kind of doubles, causes pain, some nausea/lightheadedness, kind of the same response I feel if I were to deliberately cross my eyes. At first I thought I was just tired, but I am beginning to worry.

I went to the eye doctor today and he told me I have 20/20 vision, dilated my eyes and saw nothing (inflammation or anything else to be concerned about). Years ago I has headaches with cloudy vision was told it's possible I might have MS from results of spinal taps and MRI, but never actually confirmed because other tests (vision, brain wave responses, blood etc) were normal. Since then (2006) I just deemed my eye problems accompanied by headaches as migraines and auras. However, what I have been experiencing I do not think is a migraine aura. Those do not last for 5 straight days...

I am headed for an MRI tomorrow and hope to get some answers. Have you gotten to the bottom of your symptoms? FYI I am also only 24...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Peanuts View Post
The past 3 weeks, whenever I move my eyes (looking from one thing to another, or in turning my head), it seems everything is more blurry than it should be, and things jump around (like I'm not able to scan things like I used to be able to, it's like watching a stop-start action film- kind of choppy).

Also, when moving my eyes as described above, I sometimes see double of things that my eyes pass by (particularly illuminated things like lamps, street lights, the microwave display, etc.) In the same time frame, I've also been getting a little light-headed when I'm walking around (ie looking around), or if I look left to right (not moving head) several times in a row (even slowly).

The above happens regardless of whether I'm wearing my [current prescription] glasses or not.

Another "quirk" I've been experiencing is occasional pain behind/around my eyeball (still within my eye socket, though) when I look to the far left/right/up/down. It's a sharp stabbing pain that goes away for the most part when I'm looking straight ahead. This comes and goes... usually hurting for 2-3 days, sometimes 1 eye, sometimes both, and then will go away for several weeks/months. It's been happening for a couple years now. When I mentioned it to an ophthalmologist, he said I might just have dry eyes, but even with using lubricating drops, it still happens.

If anyone has an insight, I would really appreciate it. Oh, and for the record, I'm a 24yo female. Thank you!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
(female)

ceardach HB User
Re: Blurred/double vision when looking around. Also, occasional pain behind/around ey

For this kind of issue, definitely look into eye congruency issues. Whenever you have double vision, it means your eyes are not working in sync. Also, if you have headaches, etc, it can also mean your eyes are not working in sync and are having to put in a lot of extra effort to keep single vision.

You can quickly test to see if you have congruency issues with a friend. Sit and look into the far distance. Have your friend cover one eye for 5-10 seconds (using your and works), then quickly move the cover to the other eye. Your friend will watch what happens to the movement of your eye once it is uncovered. Run the test several times, because sometimes it takes up to 10 times before your eyes react. Also, make sure you watch both eyes, because sometimes it only happens to one eye and not the other. You may also need to run the test again while you are focus on a near object (2' away).

If your eyes do not move after being uncovered, then you have perfect convergence. If they move outward, you have what is called esophoria. If they move inward, you have exophoria.

If you have exophoria or esophoria and see double vision, see an ophthalmologist right away that handles strabismis. If you have headaches and no double vision, see a neurologist or neuro-ophthalmologist.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-17-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
(female)

noodelz HB User

Hi mama,

Recently I've been experiencing very similar eye problems as you describe above. Your post is from 2009 so I've just wondered what diagnosis did you get, did your problems resolve or get worse?

Thank you

Closed Thread