It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

linda417 HB User
Blepharitis

Hello! I have had blepharitis for a year now. I am treating it the way you're supposed to with the warm compresses and eyelid cleaning. I find that my eyelids are quite thick. The skin around my eyes has aged me by about 10 years. It's very disheartening, but I'm trying to carry on. Am I overdoing the treatment? I wonder if my skin is thickening because of all the rubbing and scrubbing. Anyone else have this problem? Thank you

Old 12-13-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: Blepharitis

If you put 'blepharitis' into the search box at the top left of this page, you will find a lot of postings on the subject. It can have several different causes so the treatment you are using might not be appropriate in your case.
Unfortunately, not all doctors take it seriously and you might need to see a dermatologist to get to the root of the matter.
In my case, the cause was a very popular anti-dandruff shampoo that I also used on my eyebrows. The blepharitis was driving me mad and my dermatologist went through all the possiblilties. We eventually found out that it was a reaction to the shampoo when I stopped using it on my eyebrows and the blepharitis disappeared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
(female)

linda417 HB User

Thanks for writing. I find your answer very interesting. I also have being using dandruff shampoo on my eyebrows, as well as cleaning the eyelashes with Selsun Blue. I know this doesn't seem right, but I read it off the internet and thought I'd give it a try. Anyways, I'm now back to the baby shampoo, and I'm cutting back on how many times a day I do the routine. I might be overdoing it. Thanks for the advice PS ....Even though you are a male, do you have any idea why eye makeup hurts so much? I can't even wear mascara, which only covers the lashes, not the skin around it. I guess it's a female thing.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

True that I don't have direct experience in that field but I would suggest that it is probably just that you have sensitive eyelids and that they react to the chemicals in the make up.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

You need to see an opthamologist for proper diagnosis and treatment. When I had bleph the doctor prescribed special prescription eye drops to use.

Also scrubbed eyelids using a cosmetic cotton pad wet in diluted Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo twice a day. Scrubbed gently and rinsed well. I did use Q-Tips with diluted baby shampoo to gently cleanse edge of eyelids.

Eye makeup clogs the oil glands and provides an excellent place for bacteria to grow. The oil glands need to drain well. After hot soaks I gently pressed upward the lower dyelid and this helped oil glands to drain. Do not press toward the eyeball, do not want pressure there.

Blelph is difficult to get rid of, keep after it gently and you will succeed. It took 1 1/2 years or longer for mine to completely clear.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
(female)

linda417 HB User

Thanks for the reply Misty! I appreciate it. Just knowing it took you over 1 1/2 years to control/clear it gives me hope again. Have a great night.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #7
(female)

Carocade HB User

What kind of eyedrop did the Dr. prescribe? Do you have posterior bleph (meibomian gland dysfunction) or anterior? I have been battling this for 10 months and wasted 5 months trying to find a Dr. who knew how to treat it. I have been on doxycycline and now am off as glands are open, but not functioning normal as yet. I have improvement, but still not there. Azasite helped tremendously, but he says I do not have enough inflammation at this point to warrant another prescription (you can build up a resistance to it). Any other suggestions as to what helped you?

Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
(female)

linda417 HB User

I just got back from the opthamologist. (Once again...lol). You know, it took me a LONG time, but I think I finally figured out it was my house that created this problem with my eyes. I was told I have blepharitis, but didn't realize it was probably caused by ALLERGIES. I am allergic to dust and mold, and I've had nothing but trouble with inflammation and dry eyes. I have been given allergy eye drops by the name of Patanol. I just put my first drop in, so we'll see how it goes. I can't wear contact lenses or makeup. I was told COLD compresses are relieving. I also use Systane Ultra artificial tears. By the way, this has been driving me crazy for over a year. I must have MGD, because there's just no moisture on my eyes. (Although my eyelids bother me too.) I've also been to the doctor many, many times as well as the opthamologist. Find out if you have allergies!!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
(female)

Carocade HB User
blepharitis improvement

Finally, my blepharitis is getting under control after finding an opthamalogist who knew how to treat it. It has been over a year for me and I had severe pain for months, so I am very excited that I am almost there. This is my routine and hope it helps someone else. I took 100 mg doxycline for 4 months which helped my gland secretions, but am off of the medicine now.

Morning: Warm compresses to each eye followed by lid massage (my Dr. showed me how to do this properly), and I clean my eye area well with gentle cleanser (I use Cetaphil)(eyes closed, but massaged into the eyelash area).

Every morning I drink an 11 oz can of V-8 juice. Sometimes I will also drink one in the evening. I know it sounds strange, but this seems to help after a couple of weeks.

I take 1000 mg of flaxseed oil in a capsule in the am also. In the evening, I take 3 capsules of Thera Tears Nutrition (omega 3) which you can find in the eye section of the Walmart.

Night: I take a shower and let hot water run over the eyelids while eyes are closed. Do not get water in the eye as it will dry and hurt. I don't do the regular eyelid massage, but massage gently some.

Before bed, I use the Sterilid foam eyelid cleanser (again keeping eyes closed) and massage into the eyelashes and leave on for 60 seconds. Then rinse and dry. This burns and stings, but I have been able to tell a difference since I started using this (2 weeks ago).

Hope this helps someone....it can't hurt to try. Through the day, if needed, I use Thera tears and Soothe eyedrops. I am needing these less and less though.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #10
(female)

linda417 HB User
Re: blepharitis improvement

That is great information!! I'm glad you typed this out for all of us to read. It ends up that my blepharitis problem is skin related. (Rosacea- which I had treated with IPL). My eyes are still effected though; now I know what they mean by Chronic. As for allergies, yes I have a few, but this isn't the cause of my problem. I thought I may have had it all figured out. Wishful thinking I guess. Anyways, I'm going to carry on and hope that some day I will be back to normal. I think it's time for a V-8

Old 07-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
(female)

katlady HB User

Does anyone know a way to prevent the eyelashes from growing at weird angles with blepharitis? All my eyelashes are growing down and obstructing my vision. I use sterilid twice a day and doxy for rosacea associated bleph.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
(female)

linda417 HB User

Hi! Try warm comresses twice a day for about 3-5 minutes. This liquefies the oils in the eyelid therefore reducing inflammation. I also have some misdirected eyelashes and will use cold compresses to reduce the swelling. Once the swelling subsides, the eyelashes sit straight out from your eye instead of pointing downward. Hope this idea helps you out.
Just curious if you're male or female. I ask this because everytime I try mascara my eyelids start to hurt. Even if I just apply it to the ends of the eyelashes. I just don't know what's going on. It gets so frustrating!!

Old 07-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User

I work for an eye dr. Use diluted baby shampoo to scrub the lashes. If you use straight baby shampoo it burns the eye and skin. To strong to put around the eyes. And the dosing is 2 drops of shampoo in a full glass of water and gently but firmly srub the lashes. You have to soak them first with warm wet compresses. They sell microwave safe gel packs at the drugstore. You wrap a wet rag around the pack and microwave it for a few seconds then soak the eyes. Think of it like grease in a frying pan you have to heat it up first then it will move around. Once it is under control you can back off on how often to do tx's.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
(female)

Carocade HB User

The inflammation is what causes the misdirection of the eyelashes. The laser therapy is for rosacea, and using it with a certain protocol is what get the glands to functioning again and relieves the inflammation. It is IPL treatment, and you can google IPL and meibomian gland dysfunction and read articles on how it works. See my earlier post about this treatment.

Closed Thread