It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

tlg2325 HB User
I have Choroid freckle. Mother died of melanoma

Hello, my mother died of choroidal melanoma at the age of 65. She was diagnosed when the tumor grew large enough to detach the retina. I went with her to all of her treatments at the Casey Eye Center, Portland Oregon. She joined a study group and was given plaque radiation as her treatment. This did shrink her tumor however, it had already spread to her liver, lungs and bones.
It was a horrible way to die and I now have concerns for myself since I was diagnosed with a freckle on my choroid. I am 55 and feel quite anxious about this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: I have Choroid freckle. Mother died of melanoma

Many people have freckles in and on their eyes but they do not necessarily become cancerous. Annual check-ups are recommended to be on the safe side. I have one myself so I do understand your worry. My mother died of a melanoma on her forearm and I have a lot of dark freckles that I ask my dermatologist to monitor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
(male)

tshoala HB User
Re: I have Choroid freckle. Mother died of melanoma

I am very sorry to hear about your mother's death and I very much understand your concerns.

You should ask for a follow up with your ophthalmologist (or optometrist) every six months. He or she might do initial diagnostic tests as an ultra-sound to your eye, and take a photo of your fundus ( the back of your eye ).

There are certain criteria by which we follow choroidal nevi to early detect their transformation into a melanoma. These include the thickness, their colour, any fluid under the eye, and if you are having any symptoms at all...

I hope you find this helpful.

Wishing you all the best.

Dr. Tarek- Cairo, Egypt.

Closed Thread