It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
(male)

Sirjimmybob HB User
Floaters, halos and sparkles... Oh my!

Hi, I'm 19 years old and instead of giving you a back story like everyone else I am just going to list my symptoms, I will say however I have seen an eye doctor multiple times in the past few months and she says that as far as she can tell my eyes are in excellent health. I usually wouldn't post on a forum like this in an attempt to avoid being accused of being a hypochondriac, but it's gotten to the point where I will avoid going on walks on a sunny beautiful day because of my eye symptoms.

Rated from most to least annoying.

1: Sparkles in the sky, it can be described as a bunch of fireflies darting around my vision when I look at a bright sky or very bright computer screen. (Kind of like that Owl City song.) It seems to worsen if I run or do a cardio workout, and than as my heart rate slows again they subside, or at least become less prevalent and fast moving. I have heard many explanations for this, the more commonly accepted being that they sparkles are white blood cells moving around my eye, thus as i run my blood flow increases and they become faster. Now this makes sense to me, but why am I seeing them now as appose to a year ago?
PS: I wear sunglasses all the time when I'm outside now otherwise it's just ridiculous.

2: Halos around lights, nothing too special here but when I wear contacts my eyes become exceedingly dry and the halos worsen. I saw an optometrist after I started noticing the halos, and he said that again that my eyes were fine, even adding "You have perfect retinas." Whatever that means... If I wasn't so glad to hear that every time I visit the eye doctors I would be getting annoyed at the repetition of the phrase at this point.

3: Floaters, again nothing special however I have been noticing more and more of them... I can't see them all the time, knock on wood, but against a bright blue or white sky they are as clear as day (and yes there is a distinct difference between the floaters and the sparkles.) At first I would noticed one or two floating by to say hello, now they seem to be roaming around in packs...lol

Closing Statements:
I have a minor superscription of -1 in each eye, as well as allergies to dogs, dust and hay fever. (Wasn't born with them, thanks genetically enhanced foods.) I find myself with one clogged nostril at all times, they alternated day to day, recently a doctor prescribed Nasonex I couldn't tell if it did anything so I stopped taking it. I have tinnitus at times, and I wonder if this is all caused by sinus pressure?

Anyway, thanks for putting up with my complaining, my first instinct was to ignore the symptoms but over the past few months I find my self thinking about them more than anything else. The symptoms have taken away the serenity of a walk on the beach or a cool drive at night, I guess I can live with them if I have to, but the whole reason I posted this was to find out if there is anything I can do, so here are my questions.

Would it be worth it for me to see a neurologist? (I have read other posts like mine and they say that the neurologists never find anything.)

Are there any treatments for any of these symptoms? (I have heard lasik for the floaters).

Could any of these symptoms be caused by sinus pressure, if so than what can i do to reduce the sinus pressure?

Last edited by Sirjimmybob; 01-21-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
(female)

annrellim HB User
Re: Floaters, halos and sparkles... Oh my!

I have been getting this exact same thing, started in the fall where I would see fast moving squiggly things in the sky on a cloudy day. When it is sunny they look like fast moving sparkles. I too suffer from sinuses and tinnitus. I went to the eye doctor and everything was fine. I understand how you feel It is very annoying. I find myself purposely not focusing on the sky. Even when I look straight ahead I can still see some movement above. My doctor did not seem to concerned, so I am not sure. I am working on ignoring them

Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
(male)

Sirjimmybob HB User

One article I read suggested that if you ignore them long enough they will go away... no such luck yet. Can you answer the following questions just to have an idea of what might be causing them.

1) Do you have large pupils?

2) Do you play video games or spend a lot of time on the computer?

3) Do you see halos or auras around streetlights at night?

4) When you run or work out do they move faster or get excited?

5) Do you have allergies?

6) Are you near sided?

Anyway, I have accepted that I will probably see them for the rest of my life, once that settles in it's not too bad, and you notice them less because your not looking for them. But there are good days and bad, sunglasses help and it gives me an excuse to wear my rockin' aviators. Just to clue you in here are a few reasons why I think we might see them and others don't.

Everyone has white blood cells pass through their eye, whether or not they see them is a different story. (Btw I am 95% sure that what we are seeing are white blood cells.) Possible causes are as follows.

1) Halos are usually caused by light hitting something inside the eye, like the sun on a rainy day (makes a rainbow, however ours might not be that intense.) So as this light comes into contact with small imperfections or particulates in our eye's the blood cells are able to be seen against them like a projector on a screen. Which is why we may see them against a bright sky but not inside a room (even tough at this point if the room is bright enough I will notice them.)

2) Sinus pressure is squeezing the nerves or messing with the IOP (inter-ocular pressure) of the eye. Or maybe it is constricting blood flow that could be damaging eye tissue? This would also explain the tinnitus which can be caused by allergies or sinus pressure.

3) Neurological issues, this one is unlikely but seems like a distinct possibility. I would go see a neurologist if it wasn't for the fact that everyone who has had these symptoms say the tests never reveal anything.

4) A mix of the above, I feel like this scenario is the most likely. Also I notice that eye strain never helps, and a good nights sleep does wonders for some of these symptoms.

Last edited by Sirjimmybob; 01-27-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
(male)

Sirjimmybob HB User

BREAKTHROUGH!!!!!!

The little sparkly things are called Scheerer's phenomenon, as far as I can gather the more you see the better your retinal blood flow is. It can be tested in something called a blue field entoptoscopy? I am trying figure out just what this means, but at least there is a word for it!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
(female)

annrellim HB User

I can tell you I do have sinus problems, allergies, I see halos around street lights (I think everyone does), and I spend a lot of time on the computer due to my job. I can tell you that when I had my eyes checked the pressure in my eyes was in the high end of normal. So, I am thinking maybe because my eye pressure being in the high end of normal makes the White Blood cells moving through vessels more noticeable.

Closed Thread