It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

questionable HB User
Question My vision is finely pixelated. Anyone have it/know what it is?

My friend and I were randomly talking about our eye vision when I hesitantly asked her if she saw things 'pixelated'', for lack of a better word. She said no and was intrigued that I see things this way.That's when I realized that the way I see things is in fact abnormal, and something I should look into.

Ever since I can remember, my vision has been like this. Because I grew up with this condition, I thought it was just normal, and that everyone else saw this way. I also thought it was normal, because I see my optometrist annually, and have never been told by him that there is anything different, or wrong with my eyes. I have astigmatism in one eye, but that's all I've been told of.

So I'm wondering what the hell it is that I have.

The best way to describe my vision is that everything looks finely pixelated. I googled my symptoms, and only found two posts that relate to what I see.
These quotes I've taken from them best describe how I see.

----It's like the old Radio Antenna TV pictures after the channel would sign off and go off the air. (If you've seen Poltergeist it is like the little girl sitting in front of the fuzzy TV after the channel signed off.) The tiniest of black and white dots, of light or radiant energy in what I now like to call pixels. They fill up space. Seeing things like the artist who used to paint his pictures in dots, Georges Seurat.

----what we normally see are really the formed images of countless points of "light."

-----It's Like A T.V. Screen All Around You, Particals That Vibrate Is What They Seem Like To Me. Seen All The Time.

I have seen in the ways described above all my life, of every moment of every day, in the light or dark. In the darkness it is more pronounced. The example of pointillism given above isn't entirely accurate, as the 'pixels' I see are much, much more fine than that. I know you cannot see particles, but that's the best comparison I have for it.

It is something that works like white noise. I don't notice it, but its there. It simply just fills the air. Tiny pin*****s of light, all of which seem multicolored, but do not alter my perception of color. As previously mentioned, it's like the pixels of a tv screen.

This condition has not altered my vision in any way, nor does it hurt me, or annoy me. It's just the way it is for me. I want to know what it is that I have, and if its common or not.

Is there anyone out there that has this condition, or anyone out there who knows of it? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-12-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to questionable For This Useful Post:
LindaKagyu (02-10-2012), poorvision (01-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
(female)

Mammamooo HB User
Re: My vision is finely pixelated. Anyone have it/know what it is?

I also see this way. I thought I was crazy last night when I asked my husband if he saw things pixilated. He was so confused. Then I had to explain what pixilated was. So I asked if he ever did dot painting in school. It's hard to describe to someone who does not see this way. It is nice to know I am not alone. I don't know what it is though. I some times also think that maybe my blue is your green so to speak. What's to say that what I view as a blue sky isn't seen normally to someone as what I would see as pink. Just an idea. I also, off subject, think that people are sometimes born with gifts, and at times develop problems because they can't handle them. Maybe this way of vision is a gift. I have 20/20 vision with no vision problems, never broke a bone or had a cavity and I am 27. I also think a lot deeper than other people. Is this all related?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
(female)

questionable HB User

Hey there!

Wow I put this post up ages ago and you're the first to reply. It is really nice to have someone out there to talk to about it. I don't think I see colors differently, because I have taken art for as long as I can remember, and I've always agreed that blue was the same blue everyone else pointed out. But, my vision consists of trillions upon trillions of pin*****s of light, that appear to be made of constantly changing colors. It's like technicolor. It sometimes bothers me, but not to the point where I can't see.

As for vision, my vision is actually quite horrible. I also have this condition where my lower waterline is turned upwards instead of outwards, so my lower lashes grow straight up. They have started growing away from my eyes though, but I have little scars from earlier years when the lashes would rub against my eyes. My pixelated vision did not occur from this though, that I know.

What you might find interesting is that they have a name for our condition. Google 'Visual Snow' and you'll find tons of threads and sites that have info and people trading thoughts and ideas on what they think our condition is. It's really quite neat. I haven't joined any of these communities though.

Also off topic, I'm really good with sensing vibes from people. I have an innate ability to sense deep thoughts or feelings of others, solve book and movie plots in the first 10 mins of reading/watching them, notice tiny details in movies and books that don't correlate with the rest of the story. Stuff like that.

I don't know if thats just personality or senses that have been sharpened by the condition we have. What do you think?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
(female)

LuluWright HB User

Hi!

After having a conversation with friends today about this who didn't understand what I was on about, I realised that I needed to do some googling on this. Nice to know that it's been given a name, Visual Snow. Makes searching easier. Thank you On occasion I've found it hard to read because the mad "flashing" of the dots makes it hard to deal with the black on white/pale contrast of books.

However I'd be extremely careful about drawing conclusions about it. It could be that it is a normal visual experience but we're the only ones to notice it and describe it in such a way, although the lack of success I have had explaining it today makes me think that it might be different. Proceed with caution, however!

I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with your hyper-empathy or whatever the proper term is. As humans are social animals we're capable of tuning into others, some more so than others. So I'd just say you were more empathetic than average and good at picking things up.

On a different note, I have synesthesia, specifically grapheme - I see numbers and letters with colours attached to them. In regards to this "visual snow", the synesthesia colours are "out there" in the world with the letters, but the visual snow is closer to my eye, as though there's a screen of snow that I look through. I don't know if that's significant.

If anyone could confirm that this is how things usually are then that'll be great to put us crazies at rest. It seems to me that it could be normal as we technically see in pixels anyway.

Nice to see some people who know what I'm on about, haha!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
(male)

DystantMind HB User

Hey, I also have this. Your story is pretty much identicle to mine. I've lived my life so far thinking that everyone saw like this but still noticed it and thought it were a bit wierd.

When you look in the sky is it really bad? When I do I see something completely different like tiny little balls that are really bright.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
(male)

alkmuse HB User

It sounds, like Lulu says, as if it's Visual Snow. I've had it for about 10 years. It doesn't bother me at all though. But yeah, it like static you see on a TV screen, only smaller dots.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
(female)

RoxxxyCotton HB User

I also have this, and now finally researching it after 15 years im glad to know im not the only one. I was scared this was linked to other illnesses or caused by something else and I was afraid of it getting worst or one day going blind on account of it! Im really glad im not the only one

Last edited by Administrator; 04-17-2011 at 05:45 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to RoxxxyCotton:
Bananana13 (06-29-2011)
Closed Thread