It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

airda6 HB User
what does it mean if you are able to see the gas bubble a week after vitrectomy?

So klutzy me managed to get a detached retina in my left eye, so I had vitrectomy or the gas bubble surgery about a week ago. Just today or yesterday I noticed that I see the outline of a circle ( or black ring). I'm guessing this is the gas bubble I see. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Other factors to inform you more: young healthy female in her 20s, medications that I use are adderall and birth control, currently going through a rough time ( death of a grandparent) so I'm not sure if stress or crying might affect healing, near sighted (before surgery as well), I do not have diabetes or any other major health issues (thank the godzees)

If anyone has insight on what to expect as far as vision changes and what symptoms I should be concerned about, I'm as curious as a cat. Thanks

Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: what does it mean if you are able to see the gas bubble a week after vitrectomy?

A vitrectomy for detached retina usually involves the injection of a silcone oil and face down posturing for at least a week. However, if the area of detachment was fairly small the surgeon probably thought a gas bubble was adequate in your case.
The gas bubble that you can see will gradually get smaller until it disappears about two weeks after the operation. Medications or stress are unlikely to have any impact on this purely physical process.
It seems surprising that the hospital staff didn't tell you what to expect.

Last edited by TopGeek; 04-29-2010 at 01:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread