It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
(male)

dirkson4 HB User
Conact Lenses - Red circle around one iris

Hi,

I have been a contact lense wearer for a few years with next to no problems most of the time.
However It would always take me a long time each morning to get my contacts in and feeling right.
After discussions with my optometrist she told me that with this particular brand I could wear them for 7 days / 6 nights at a time before having a rest of one night, and then repeating the process for another week with the same pair of lenses. This change has been great as I only had to get the lenses to fit once a week!

I've been doing this for well over a year however a couple of weeks ago I awoke to find a defined red ring around the iris of my right eye. I was a bit alarmed and took the contact out right away. I am living abroad at the moment and haven't been to an optometrist yet so I went to see the local pharmacist who told me it may just be little irritation and should disappear by itself, and to not wear contact for a few days. A few days later my eye returned to normal and I began wearing contacts again.

However the same thing happened again this morning..Red ring around iris...

I'm going to see an optometrist on the weekend but does anyone know what could be causing this after I had no problems for so long?

Thanks

Last edited by dirkson4; 05-12-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
(female)

melmel09 HB User
Arrow Re: Conact Lenses - Red circle around one iris

Hello,

You are not alone! I, a contact user for about five years now, have also developed a similar problem. Although I do not wear my contacts over night, I have noticed that by the time I go to take them out, a thin red ring has developed around the iris of my right eye only. I decided that it could have been caused by any sort of irritation my eyes endured that day (dust, excessive rubbing, chlorine from swimming, etc.), so I decided that if the problem persisted the following day it was definitely something to follow up on.
The next morning after the first irritation, the ring was completely gone and my eye returned to normal. Just to be safe though, I wore my glasses that entire day before donning my contacts on the third day.
By the time to take my contacts out on the third day arrived, again, the thin red ring appeared around my right iris.

Although I have 'slept off' the red ring again, I am predisposed to my glasses. After a little research on the internet, it seems that this red ring could be several different things from eye irritation due to lack of oxygen, to a sinus infection, to even an indication of a much more serious case that suggests some sort of avid eye disease.
Definitely going to see your optometrist seems like the best idea, because if anyone could tell you what it is and how it is, it's him/her. I plan to see mine as soon as I can, which might not be for a few days.
A couple of things you might consider mentally going over before seeing him/her are:
-are there any other symptoms? i.e. eye discharge, slightly blurry vision in that eye, maybe even if you've recently had bad allergies.
-have you changed anything in your routine that could have introduced new irritants to your eyes? Using a different contact solution, different contact case, switching/taking your contacts out at a different time of the day, new prescription, etc.
-has the ring gotten any worse from when you first discovered it? Does it look bigger, thicker, or even circle around more of the iris when it appears than when it first did?
I don't know if any of this information has been helpful to you, but I do hope that it's not something serious. If I find out any concrete news on my end about this red ring though, I will post it for you. I do think that it's very odd that it only affects one iris, in both of our cases. If you find anything out, please post, as you will probably end up at the optometrist before me.
This kind of thing is a little scary, especially after wearing contacts for so long and never really having a problem with them.

Again, I hope all goes well for you at the optometrist and it's a simple fix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
(female)

Shugaboo HB User
Re: Conact Lenses - Red circle around one iris

I had this issue, my pain in my eye got progressively worse to where I couldn't open my eye. I am writing to tell you GO TO AN EYE DOCTOR! Write things don't just go away they get progressively worse. It could start to cause damage to all parts of the eye and cause serious issues. I was told I have a corneal ulcer and to stay away from the sun for two weeks, put all sorts of prescription and non prescription drops in and I have to make followup appointments. I'm just glad I didn't let it get worse because the pain is awful and of akl the damage I could have caused my eye. What caused it? Continual daily use of contacts. Even though they say ” all day wear” after about six hours of staring at a computer screen they dry quickly and should be taken out and put in solution for fifteen minutes while giving your eyes drops anytime you have an write irritant your are supposed throw out the old contacts.

Do not take eye issues lightly! Your eye is sensitive and cannot fight off bacteria as well as other places which means it can spread rapidly... causing all the way up to blindness!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
(male)

kchris2107 HB User

I also have the same problem.

Did any of you guys visited the doctor. What was the result?

Is it the problem caused due to lenses.

KC

Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
(female)

ccates75 HB User

I have been wearing contacts for years, but after I woke up today, I thought I had pink eye. There was no itching, but it had that nasty "eye boogie" stuff bulit up in it and it burned. I do not sleep in my contacts at night, but I had taken a 30 minute nap, and awoke to this. I have a new pair of contacts in and there isn't anything wrong with the lens case. But, it was only in my right eye. I do have 2 auto immune disorders, and was attributing this to that. But, when I went to my eye dr, he said my eye wasn't getting enough oxygen. I even wear Acuvue Oaysis, the "breathable" ones, but he said when that happens, it can damage the cornea and after so long of ignoring it, you can go blind. but, it was because of lack of oxygen to my cornea, because of wearing contacts. Hope this helps somebody.

The Following User Says Thank You to ccates75 For This Useful Post:
Nalalove (02-10-2012)
Closed Thread