It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
shimmering/flickering of peripheral vision after cataract surgery with IOLS?

Hi, folks,

I'm 50, and recently had cataract surgery (in May and then June, I had
congenital, posterior polar cataracts) with intraocular lens placements.
The procedures went well and the doctor is happy with the results. I do not have a detached retina or any other complications whatsoever.
There IS something rather bothersome, though. It seems that light, or glare,
bounces off the peripheral edge of my new lens (especially the right eye)
and I will notice what looks like a shimmering or flickering. I'm just curious to know if anyone else has this going on. I am pretty sure that this is an annoyance that I'll need to get used to rather than a problem, but it would
be reassuring to hear of others who have the same. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
(female)

jitteryme HB User
Re: shimmering/flickering of peripheral vision after cataract surgery with IOLS?

I am also 50 and had cataract surgery in May in my left eye only. My cataract formed as a result of having a detached retina and the resulting vitrectomy to repair the retina. I also am experiencing the shimmering from the lens. It only occurs in certain light. I am also classifying it as an annoyance and not a real problem with the eye itself. (My eye has been checked three times now since the surgery and my retina remains in good shape.) I'm also happy with the results, so, like you, I think this is just something we will have to get used to.

Last edited by jitteryme; 06-18-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
(male)

Traven HB User
Re: shimmering/flickering of peripheral vision after cataract surgery with IOLS?

It could be Positive Dysphotopsia.

I believe that's what I have after cataract surgery and will ask my surgeon about it at my next appointment.

In my case the shimmering is most noticeable after awakening. After a few hours it clears up in the central vision but is always present in the left corner.

From what little I can read about it, it either goes away in time or it doesn't. I can't seem to find much hope except for IOL replacement.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

Thanks so much, Traven. I've read about this, and I sure hope to be one of the people where it goes away. I hope that for you, too! Keep me posted about your appointment.
I am having a YAG laser procedure on the eye that has this issue (not BECAUSE it does, but because I have developed a sort of common, secondary cataract that needs to be zapped) in September. I hope it makes a difference.
As much as my vision is definitely better since my surgeries, I find this dysphotopsia
more than a little annoying...

Sue

Old 09-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
(male)

shemuel HB User

I am 52 and had cataract surgery for my left eye, 2 weeks ago. I experienced something similar to this immediately following the surgery, but once the dialation wore off, the shimmering lights were gone. While I'm happy wth the results, I have another issue and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Since the surgery, I have a semi-circular cloud on my peripheral. It's not causing any real problem, but is mostly an annoyance. I went for my 2 week followup yesterday, and the doctor was concerened I may have a detached retina. He did a thorough exam, and decided that the retina is fine. I have a theory that what I'm seeing is inflammation from the incision at the base of the cornea, hoping that as my eye heals further, it will dissappear. I suggested this to the doctor and he doesn't agree, saying that the incision area is healing nicely for 2 weeks following surgery. He continued to say that sometimes lens placement can cause some unsual things to occur, and this may be one of them. If anyone has any input, please let me know. Thanks

Old 09-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
(female)

Hathortemple HB User

Hi there,
Just wondering if you could possibly have Fuchs' Dystrophy. I just posted about my situation a few minutes ago wondering if anyone else has this malady.
I only have FD in my left eye which was basically 'caused' by my cataract surgery... this only happened in my left eye...the other surgery in R eye turned out great.
Every once in awhile I will see flasing lights...or something like 'falling stars' appear far to the left in my peripheral vision.
I just thought I would mention this to you in case you might want to ask your eye dr about it. I understand that if the problem is frequent that night driving, especially, is discouraged for fear that one might suddenly react to what they think are car lights coming toward them.
Best wishes to you. I hope you get the problem cleared up!

Closed Thread