It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
(male)

firefly51 HB User
How soon will sight return or improve after vitrectomy ?

My wife has had vitrectomy to repair retinal detachment with multiple holes. . This was followed about six weeks later, by surgery to correct a cataract that developed following the first surgery. The doctor says he is satisfy with how both procedures went. Is it really too early to start seeing improvement in vision. She currently sees nothing or, is this an indication that it didn't went all that well ?
Worried Spouse

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User
Re: How soon will sight return or improve after vitrectomy ?

When you say she currently sees nothing, do you mean that she has very blurred vision or that she sees brightness or darkness?
Did she have a lens implant at the time of the cataract operation? If so, she should aready have some degree of vision.
In any case, the doctors should have provided some information about her expected progress.
Perhaps you can give us more details.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
(male)

firefly51 HB User

She says it's all darkness.
She did have a lens implant at the time of the cataract operation.
(This was done 5 days ago)
The doctor did not provide any specific information on her expected progress.
He just emphasized that both ops went well and was now just a case of waiting.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

That does not sound good to me but I emphasise that I am not qualified to judge the prospects of a successful outcome in her particular case. You should really be asking her doctors for an 'honest' prognosis and as a matter of urgency. The vast majority of retinal detachment patients do have some degree of vision immediately after reattachment but it can take several weeks for anything like sensible images to appear. However, total darkness is unusual and you therefore need the advice of a good retinal surgeon to tell you the chances of recovery in her case.
If you have access to an independent ophthalmologist, you could ask them for a second opinion.

Last edited by TopGeek; 06-22-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
(male)

inoor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly51 View Post
My wife has had vitrectomy to repair retinal detachment with multiple holes. . This was followed about six weeks later, by surgery to correct a cataract that developed following the first surgery. The doctor says he is satisfy with how both procedures went. Is it really too early to start seeing improvement in vision. She currently sees nothing or, is this an indication that it didn't went all that well ?
Worried Spouse
my brother had virectomy to repair retinal detachment as well on sept 14, 2010. he does have cataract due to gas bubble. he sees everything as darkness. even in daylight it feels evening or night to him. everything is blurry. we asked doctor and they have no answer. he's in his fourth week and no improvement in his vision. the sad thing is thats the only eye he has, other one he lost due to retinal detachment long time ago. if you find anything, keep me updated and i will do the same.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Regaining sight after retinal detachment is dependent on several factors but there are no guarantees, especially if the patient has other medical issues affecting the eyes.
I suspect that you misunderstood the doctors regarding the cataract because the gas bubble itself does not cause a cataract. Cataracts may form gradually, months after a vitrectomy and that is thought to be due to oxygen entering the vitreous cavity. They can also form naturally and it is relatively simple to remove them and insert an implanted lens. However, if the retina re-attachment has failed, there may be no value in removing the cataract.
The gas bubble normally disperses completely within fourteen days after the vitrectomy.
You need to ask the doctors for a clear explanation of what has gone wrong in your brother's case and whether or not there is any hope of improvement.

Closed Thread