It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

MarisainCA HB User
No relief from chronic dry eye! Tried everything!

Hi I am a 28F in southern california and have been suffering from chronic dry eye for 8 years. As a result of my dry eye i had bilateral pterygiums removed in 2005 and 2007. Over the last 6 months however my eyes are getting worse. My eyes are very sensitive and have used the following treatments with no relief:

Stopped taking Oral Contraceptives- (its only been two weeks- still waiting for results)
Refrained from using anti-histamines.
Restasis- (i cant stand the burning sensation after application)
Systane and any other eye drops with preservatives- (makes my eyes worse, my eyes get irritated from the preservatives)
Punctal plugs- (made my eyes worse, the anatomy of my eye is shaped so that i could actually feel the top of the plug rubbing against my eye)
Temporary plugs- (popped right out)

The only relief i get is from cold compress and preservative free drops such as Soothe, Refresh and Thera tears. but this is only temporary relief. I wake up in the middle of the night with painful eyes because they are so dry and my eyes are consistently red.

Is anyone just as frustrated as I am? Thanks

Old 06-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: No relief from chronic dry eye! Tried everything!

I have dry eyes from Sjogrens Syndrome and I hate Restasis as well. Gives me sinus infections.

So I do drops....lots of drops. I too love the preservative free drops and carry them with me at all times. I also like Genteal gel drops and gel. Have you tried those? My doc put me on a regime of drops every hour alternating the Refresh Plus with gel drops(the drops are a lot thinner than the gel so you can still see okay...the gel blurs you for a few minutes). I feel like an idiot always running to put in drops but it works. I use the thicker gel at least once a day when I don't need to see anything for about 15 minutes and can just rest the eyes.

But here is another thing he had me do. There are tiny pores along the edges of the eyelids that make an oily substance that also coats the eyes and of they are blocked as well, all the drops in the world won't help. It's not just the dry eyes, it's the lack of oils. So he had me put warm wet soaks on my eyes first thing in the AM to unclog those oil pores. I found that standing in the shower with the hot water just running on my face in the AM was good too. He even suggested washing my hair and face with baby shampoo to clean the eyelid edges. With that in mind, when I get really dry, I use the nighttime ointments on my eyes at bedtime to replenish the oils.....that helps too. They are thick like Vaseline and mess up your vision badly so only use at bedtime. You'll see an improvement after a few uses. The ointment/oil sticks around and helps to keep the drops in the eyes. Between the cleaning of the eyelid pores and the addition of the ointment, it makes a huge difference.

Have you tried any of these?

hugs...........Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
(female)

MarisainCA HB User

Thanks Jenny, i have tried the Genteal ointments for nighttime but a couple times after using them my eyes seemed more irritated but i havent completely given them up. im skeptical about them because they claim to be preservative free but are not in the small vials like the other brands. I know for sure my eyes are more irritated by preservatives. ill try the warm compress every morning, i usually start my day with a cold compress. I have noticed my eyes feel better after a steamy shower. As far as the Genteal drops ( not the ointment)i found my eyes to feel dryer after using them. thank you so much for your reply!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
(female)

rosietheriveter HB User

You are not alone. I am equally miserable since having glaucoma surgery a year ago. I've been on restasis for 6 months, with no relief I notice, along with doxycycline, and OTC preservative free drops. I am having a hideous week, and am ready to pull my eyes out. Going to eye doctor on Tuesday, but expect no solutions. It is a frustrating scenario. In desperation I have made an appointment with an acupuncturist, even though I am very nervous about it. I have been online searching for others who have found some success with various treatments. So far nothing. It's depressing and miserable.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB Userdhurlbert3 HB User

Hey guys try laser closure of punctum which is painless and it will seal the bottom punctum where the plugs go. Works just like the plugs but they cant fall out. Trust me , painless.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
(female)

4boystolove HB User

Hi - I have SLE and secondary sjogrens,
I use BION TEARS and have been using them for years. I have tried everything else I can find and this works the best for me. I use them all the time. good luck!

Last edited by 4boystolove; 08-09-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
(female)

MarisainCA HB User

After researching Sjogrens i believe i might need to be tested for it. Ive had dry eyes for as long as i can remember, dry lips, not so much dry mouth. who can diagnose this? i dont have a primary care doctor and my opthamologist tried everything with me and not once mentioned this disease. She pretty much told me theres nothing else she can do for me.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
(female)

elizabethgb7 HB User

Hi

Don,t give up. I went to five eye doctors and have had eye problems..dry eye, gritty, red, burning sometmes, and was just diagnosed with Sjogrens. I started using resatsis drops and it took about 1 month but it has impoved my tears. I use eye dtts also without perservitives. They are called thera tear.

I also found that ataihisamines (sp) help. I must have some allergies also. If you don't have drug insurance let me know and I can tell you how to get them free from the drug company that makes the restasis. Gail

Last edited by moderator2; 10-19-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
(female)

elizabethgb7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisainCA View Post
After researching Sjogrens i believe i might need to be tested for it. Ive had dry eyes for as long as i can remember, dry lips, not so much dry mouth. who can diagnose this? i dont have a primary care doctor and my opthamologist tried everything with me and not once mentioned this disease. She pretty much told me theres nothing else she can do for me.
It is done with blood test. My Doc is sending me to a Reumatologist.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

a blood test doesn't always show sjogren's a lip biopsy is the most accurate but a lot of drs don't do it correctly nor is the biopsy read correctly.
I have sicca syndrome, dry eyes and mouth. I use the restasis and was using refresh. My eyes burned for about a week when I first used the restatis but no longer. I am trying other drops besides the refresh as it doesn't help after I had narrow angle surgery. The pharmacist said there are so many different types to just keep trying. I bought one with glycerin and am trying them

Old 11-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #11
(male)

helpsomeone HB User

Hi Marisa
Sorry about your dry eye problems. I can certainly relate with you. I had cataract surgery and lens replacement 3 years ago and it went all wrong but
to tell you about the part that would affect you.

Since my surgery I had severe dry eye problems.
I tried every product from A to Z, including Resatsis with very little if any relief. I like you became so frustrated that I didn't know which way to turn.

Now, the next part sounds crazy but it has helped me tremendously. I quit using any drops at all! Yes I did. After about two days my eyes started making more tears and were not nearly as irritated as before. Today I still have some amount of "Dry Eyes" but nothing like I did before.

My only guess was that I was using everything I could put in them to get relief and that was preventing my eyes from making natural tears.

Now, I carry around a small bottle of Murine tears and works for me.
Regards,
Jim

Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
(female)

BYU1972 HB UserBYU1972 HB User

drops don't help me much but I use systane balance a lot during the day but i have to keep my head back so the drops get into my eyes. I put vasaline ointment gel for eyes too but sometimes I wake up and still blurry, it does help though as well. Does the hot compress really give you that much help you think (like am / shower time and nightime)?
I don't have any excess fibers or anything on eyelashes I use warm washcloth to go over my eyelids/lashes ... I like to use the hot washcloth b/c I give my face a minifacial everytime lol... I used that restatis 4 1/2 months/ fish oil, all systane drops (most leave a horrible buildup/crust) I've tried several like Refresh/blink (none really help). besides horrid dry eye, I also have limited eye muscle movement and droopy eyes. I'm going to Hopkins sometime soon and i havne't heard much good about Frontails lift for droopy eyes but light bothers me so bad esp computer use. Any help or further advice besides "Be thankful, it could always be worse... at least you have your sight " _

Old 03-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
(female)

what are BION tears? Can u get them from walmart?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
(female)

Has your situation gotten better, i'm 38F

do you have any other eye problems besides dry eye?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
(male)

helpsomeone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU1972 View Post
drops don't help me much but I use systane balance a lot during the day but i have to keep my head back so the drops get into my eyes. I put vasaline ointment gel for eyes too but sometimes I wake up and still blurry, it does help though as well. Does the hot compress really give you that much help you think (like am / shower time and nightime)?
I don't have any excess fibers or anything on eyelashes I use warm washcloth to go over my eyelids/lashes ... I like to use the hot washcloth b/c I give my face a minifacial everytime lol... I used that restatis 4 1/2 months/ fish oil, all systane drops (most leave a horrible buildup/crust) I've tried several like Refresh/blink (none really help). besides horrid dry eye, I also have limited eye muscle movement and droopy eyes. I'm going to Hopkins sometime soon and i havne't heard much good about Frontails lift for droopy eyes but light bothers me so bad esp computer use. Any help or further advice besides "Be thankful, it could always be worse... at least you have your sight " _
Hello

Sorry for you having all the problems you are having with your eyes, especially at such a young age.

My situation has greatly improved since my previous posts. Let me tell you why. First I have been wearing glasses since I was 3 years old and could see 20-20 with a heavy prescription. My problems really started when I decided I wanted to see life without having glasses. Big Mistake on my part!! The lens replacment did not work for me. The cronic dry eye started. My vision was horrible. I used about everything on the market to try to get relief including Restatis. I found that using nothing was the best thing. Using about all the products just created a momentary period of relief. After the burning and blurry vision stopped I was right back where I started. When I awake in the morning I go to a warm washcloth and get all the oils and sleepy from my eyes.

The real revelation came when I found that the optometrist that I was using was not making my glasses correctly. I don't mind saying that Walmart is now making my glasses and I can actually see again. My eye health is generally good now except for the dry eye which I have learned to life with.

As far as your question about the BION tears. I believe they are available at Wal Mart for around $16 bucks.

I had the droopy eye lid surgery done a few years ago and it greatly improved my field of vision. I have no problems in that respect.

Hoped I answered all your questions for you.

Good luck and God bless,
Jim

The following user gives a hug of support to helpsomeone:
BYU1972 (04-01-2011)
Closed Thread