It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Eye & Vision Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User
VISION PROBLEM (Everything looks small and distant)

Hi,

I'll do my best to describe this, but this is what happens to me.

Every once in a while my visual perception will all of sudden change and everything will appear small and distant.

I could be looking down at my hand and my hand will feel a million miles away type thing and look small.

I could best describe this by asking any anyone has ever looked through a binnocular through the wrong end. Well thats how things appear to me when this visual disturbance come on.

It has happened to me since I was a child and I would say it happens every month or so, sometime maybe more and sometime maybe less. The visual distortion maybe only last an hour or so, again sometime maybe less sometimes it could last longer.

usually when this happens I;m kinda fascinated by the whole thing. How everything just appears weird and small. I honestly thought this happens to everybody and when I tried looking on line I found an old post of people who knew exactly what I was talking about, but nobody could diagnos what the condition was. Anyways now that i now this is not a normal thing for everybody, I'm very curious to know what it is I;m experiencing.

Does anyone have and clue as to what this can be and has anyone else experienced such a visual phenomena.

Thanks.

Last edited by Leo123; 06-28-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
(male)

nostradamus HB User
Re: VISION PROBLEM(Everything looks small and distant)

You're not the only person this happens to. For me, it happens most at night or in lower lighting and when I'm relaxed, such as when I play piano or just am in good company. For me it lasts as long as I don't move around too much or get too excited. If I just look away sometimes it stops, but when I look back it'll return. I don't know what it is either. The binoculars explanation is a new one to me, but an accurate one. I sometimes describe it as seeming like I'm watching a smaller TV than I'm used to...except in real life. The level of smallness is not 100% consistent, either. Sometimes it's just noticeably smaller, sometimes twice as small. It is fascinating, even if a little odd.

Maybe this is relevant, but my left eye was on the verge of lazy and I did several years of therapy to prevent it. It's still not as strong as the right eye. However, if I close one eye or the other, the smallness is still there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Leo123 HB UserLeo123 HB User

I know exactly what you mean.

have experienced the phenomena since child hood?

Also do you notice that if you are in a deep conversation with another person and you really connecting with somebody, sometime even on a spiritual level that it happens.

Everytime I get into a deep spirtitual conversation with somebody it is a common time for it to happen to me. And it usually happens to be in the evening and night time hous as you say has happened to you.

It so funny a day after I posted this post after years of searching for an answer I finially found out an actual name for the condition and its called Micropsia if I;m not mistaken.

Check it out on wiki. Let me know what you think about it, also I found out there is a reverse visual where people see everything as large versus small.

Micropsia

Old 07-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
(male)

nostradamus HB User

Your link got fuzzed out, but I searched for micropsia and read up on it on Wikipedia. It seems to describe the correct symptoms. Is micropsia supposed to be permanent, though? I've always slipped in and out of it.

I'm a little skeptical of the typical causes. I don't have any migraines, have never done drugs, never have had a seizure, and probably haven't suffered and physical trauma to my head (I don't remember any). As far as the psychological causes, I can't imagine wanting to distance myself from the situation since it occurs when I have the least conflict. The other causes listed don't ring any bells either. It's still the closest thing I've seen. What do you think?

Somebody told me that I could call it "focal indifermity," but I can't find anything on that using any spelling variations. Maybe it's not very well documented on the Internet. I should search some academic journals. So far you're the only person I've found with similar experiences, and I've asked my eye doctor about it, even. He just said something to the effect of, "Sometimes rooms can look bigger or smaller than they are." No help there.

I can't pinpoint the first time I noticed it, but if I had it frequently enough for me to ask my eye doctor about it when I was doing therapy, I must have been pretty young. Maybe 10 or younger?

It's nice to hear that you experience it when connecting with people spiritually, as that's exactly what I was alluding to when I said "in good company." I don't want to sound like a new-age hippie, but it definitely happens during philosophical and spiritual conversations, usually with my closest friends.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
(female)

littlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB Userlittlehutton HB User

Alice in wonderland syndrome? Look this up it is real.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
(male)

nostradamus HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehutton View Post
Alice in wonderland syndrome? Look this up it is real.
The smallness/largeness seems accurate, but I've never had the headache thing. *shrug* It'd be interesting to know what exactly causes it rather than just term the effects.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
(male)

sidh HB User
Re: VISION PROBLEM (Everything looks small and distant)

Hey Leo 123. i know about your problem. i know why its happen to you. and i have cure.

Closed Thread